Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Future Shaky For Visitor Center At Mt St Helens
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
shiznit75
opie wrangler

shiznit75
opie wrangler
PostMon Oct 02, 2006 4:52 pm 
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/6135896p-5372226c.html "The Coldwater Ridge visitor center at Mount St. Helens could be closed or its operations scaled back after 2007 as the national monument sets its priorities amid federal budget cuts." This makes me sad. We go there every year since it opened. Infact one of the fondest memories I have hiking with my family was on the Opening day of the Center and of Coldwater Lake to permit fishing.

~Lost In Spaz~
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Oct 02, 2006 6:28 pm 
Feds have other priorities that shall not be mentioned shakehead.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Oct 02, 2006 6:37 pm 
Bummer. I like that visitor center a thousand times more than the new one. I went to the new one once, and there wasn't anything to do in there but look out the window, which I didn't need to do; the real thing is outside and you can actually see it without being encased in a building. Coldwater has neat, no-high-tech interactive learning tools, and other articfacts. It's the kind of building that's cozy, not slicked up like the other one.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Oct 02, 2006 7:30 pm 
The budget is being cut 15%. I guess I thought the user fees they have been collecting would compensate for something like this, but I guess not??

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 3:46 pm 
I actually enjoyed all the photographs as well as the movie at the new visitor center. Perhaps I will have to stop again at the Coldwater one next year to see what is there. In any event, a visitor center is mostly a building, exhibits can be moved to any of the other visitor centers. It would be nice if it were to stay open but given the reality of budget I can't blame them to much for wanting to close a visitor center when there are three run by the USFS all for Loowit. I'd rather they close that than neglect trails.