Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Disappearing Glaciers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 3:41 pm 
A few weeks ago, Super K and I were simtting on top of Tamanos Mountain. cool.gif As we looked across at Mount Rainier we noticed that the upper part of Interglacier appeared to be baren dirt....with only a few very small patches of snow remaining. I just read a trail report posted on WTA by Lone Cedar on Sept. 28th. His photos shows a bare slope all the way to Camp Curtis. Has anyone seen the Intergalcier disappear before? It is a sad statement about global warming. shakehead.gif But if Intergalcier is gone during the warm season, can it still be called a glacier? confused.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 3:47 pm 
I've thought about this a lot since Backpacker Joe and I rafted Hinman LAKE. At about a mile long and a half mile wide, the lake is impressive, until you look up and realize the entire valley was mostly filled with ice when I was born 42 years ago...

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 4:30 pm 
Glacier NP has gome from something like 100 glaciers to just 5 in the last century.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 4:34 pm 
I love glaciers, but I guess I'm not seeing this as a permanent thing, they've been receding for a long, long time and they'll be back, as the ice age cycles back around. It's very pretty, spectacular, and cool, and i'll miss them, but that's geology combined with climate... never static! The only constant is change, I've seen ice my kidlet will never see, and he'll paddle lakes that didn't exist when I was out scrambling.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Marmotneer

Marmotneer
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 4:38 pm 
Here is a photo of Emmons a week and a half ago--interglacier lower right center
View from east side.
View from east side.
This guy has been studying glaciers and has a lot of comparisons: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 4:41 pm 
cool site!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger

jimmymac
Zip Lock Bagger
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 4:55 pm 
All the new "bare pavement" high on GP was supposedly a significant factor in why the heavy rainfall in October 2003 resulted in such a huge streamflow spike.

"Profound serenity is the product of unfaltering Trust and heightened vulnerability."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Oct 04, 2006 5:45 pm 
What disapearing glaciers? I dont see any disapearing glaciers! doof.gif uhh.gif doof.gif
Sout Cascade Glacier and lake
Sout Cascade Glacier and lake

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
3fngrs

3fngrs
PostThu Oct 05, 2006 7:53 am 
3fngrs

3fngrs
PostThu Oct 05, 2006 7:56 am 
oops.. I see this address is already linked.

Dante

Dante
PostThu Oct 05, 2006 11:22 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
I love glaciers, but I guess I'm not seeing this as a permanent thing, they've been receding for a long, long time and they'll be back, as the ice age cycles back around. It's very pretty, spectacular, and cool, and i'll miss them, but that's geology combined with climate... never static! The only constant is change, I've seen ice my kidlet will never see, and he'll paddle lakes that didn't exist when I was out scrambling.
That it happens doesn't surprise or concern me as much as how fast it happens. IIRC the 7.5 minute map with hinman on it was updated in 1964 - the year of my birth. In "only" 42 years, it's gone from what you see on the map to nothing.

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostThu Oct 05, 2006 3:49 pm 
OK, so accepting the fact that the glaciers are disappearing until the next ice age or until the demise of the human creature....whichever comes first.....What will the names of such places be on the maps...... Formerly known as the Anderson Glacier....or maybe the Emmons Galcier (used to be)...or maybe in remeberance of the Sulfide Glacier? I am not making light of the situation...it seems to me that the state of our glaceirs world wide is in a critical state. shakehead.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
scm007

scm007
PostThu Oct 05, 2006 7:47 pm 
I've come to the conconclusion that humanity doesn't have the willpower to stop, or at least try to stop the global warming. As such, I have decided to stop worrying about it.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Oct 05, 2006 7:56 pm 
When Krakatoa went up it put more crap into the atmosphere than all the cars have/will forever! And that was just one volcano. "Some" people are to damn certain of themselves that humans are the cause for this. Cooling and warming trends have and do happen all the time on this rock. We haven't had the technology to study this place long enough to be sure of any of this theory. There are as many scientists who disagree in global warming as who agree with it. Oh, and that hole in the ozone layer, it's repairing itself and shrinking.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
philfort

philfort
PostThu Oct 05, 2006 9:37 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
There are as many scientists who disagree in global warming as who agree with it.
A climate scientist I know said there is near complete consenus among peers that there is human caused global warming. Your favorite media outlet may disagree.
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Oh, and that hole in the ozone layer, it's repairing itself and shrinking.
...thanks to the banning of CFC's 20 years ago.