Forum Index > Trip Reports > Chaval....and Jug Lake!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue May 27, 2003 3:31 pm 
MtnGoat and Backpacker Joe: I was at Jug Lake. I guess this lake is on your lakes to see! Ha! I beat you to it! Not an easy fisherman's trail though....... Mt. Chaval / Snowking Quad / 7127' / 1807' of prominence Peak 5782 / Snowking Quad / 5782' / 422' of prominencez Greg, Paul, and I started on the very faint fisherman's trail up Jug Lake at 6:45a.m. The trip to Upper Jug lake took about 3 hours and longer than I expected. From Jug lake we took the drainage directly east of the lake instead of the drainage SE of the lake and then did a slogging traverse over to the 6120' pass. From up high, the drainage SE of the lake may appear easier to ascend to the 6120' pass. At the pass we looked over to Chaval--damn that is a long way over. But we did it. We slogged through the soft snow melted by the sun by threading the needle at the 5920+ pass below point 6356 and gaining the north facing slope. We finally made it to the base of the very steep section on Chaval. We went up very steep soft snow and for the last 200 feet we roped up with Paul leading and placing pickets. Well we made it. Exhuasted, and the trip was only half done. We enjoyed the nice views from this summit and then gingerly--oh so gingerly--made our way down. Paul estimated the snow was 70 degrees. We then slogged our way back to the 6120' pass. Our original intention was to climb the class 4 6400+ peak right above this pass, but due to the time we took off and orphaned this baby. We slogged back across the slope east of Jug Lake and made our way over to peak 5782 (422' of prominence) for our final peak of the day and some Ptarmigans near the top. Instead of taking the fishermans trail out we decided to descend down and over to the Illabot Creek side and then follow the road out. Plans went fine and we thought we had traversed enough NW to the road, but we found out we ended quite a distance from the road and following the valley bottom was a pain in the arse. The bushwacking was terrible--I have the cuts on my arms to show you. We finally made it to the road and another 2 miles of road walking back to the car. Was it better than the fisherman's trail? Hard to tell. Pros and cons to each decision. This trip took 14 hours car to car. Today, I lack the desire to get out and climb anything. Chaval in one day with soft snow conditions is not to be taken lightly. Not recommended for weak people. Stefan Feller 5/26/03

Art is an adventure.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 27, 2003 4:16 pm 
So did the fisherman's trail go to lower Jug, and then to upper Jug? Was there a trail the whole way? Go report and great trip Stefan! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Stefan

Stefan
PostTue May 27, 2003 4:59 pm 
There is a fisherman's trail to lower Jug Lake. You will come across two boulder fields and may lose the trail in there, but at the end of the boulder fields the trail begins again. We lost the trail twice about 15 minutes from the start, but then we eventually found it again. This much I know. We encountered snow at lower Jug Lake and therefore we lost the trail (if there was one) to upper Jug Lake. The trail starts about 50 feet west of Arrow Creek from the road.

Art is an adventure.
-lol-

-lol-
PostTue May 27, 2003 8:00 pm 

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 27, 2003 9:24 pm 
Everybody's a comedian! Glad you are back too Stefan! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed May 28, 2003 9:29 am 
I found a pair of boots that do well. They are Asolo MTF 750's. Not sold in the US for some reason--had to order them from Canada. I have not needed any special modifications of them. They are stiff, but not steel shank stiff.

Art is an adventure.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed May 28, 2003 9:31 am 
I didnt catch it in an earlier post. Was Jug frozen too? TB

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed May 28, 2003 9:41 am 
Lower Jug Lake was not frozen--I wouldn't call this lake a real lake. Upper Jug Lake was frozen about 90% except for the edges. The only places to camp at the Upper Jug Lake would be on the north side becuase the south side is boulders.

Art is an adventure.
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed May 28, 2003 5:04 pm 
And some pictures....
Chaval from WNW
Chaval from WNW

Art is an adventure.
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostWed May 28, 2003 11:49 pm 
Good report and pictures. And my vote for quote of the year: "Not recommended for weak people." Nice!