Forum Index > Gear Talk > lightweight trail shoes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri May 23, 2003 11:01 pm 
Hey How many here have used/use light trail shoes (running)? My main issues with them are over- all no shanks (stiffness) and the torsional stiffness of the front area. (toe box?) Do you tape your ankles to provide support. (I will try) or use some other wrapping ? HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE NEW TRAIL RUNNING SHOES (VASQUES i THINK) ONES WITH A CARBON FIBER FOOTBED based on bicycle Shoes. these have good stiffness and torsional stability. I saw them at the REDWING STORE ON 65th ave. in seattle. biggrin.gif Thanks for support of my typing skills as gnomes have fat fingers. ANY HIKERS IN SANDLES W/ ANKLE TAPE? THIS MAY SOUND KINDA DUMB BUT OK FOR GOOD TRAILS?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostFri May 23, 2003 11:54 pm 
I've used running shoes for hundreds of miles with no trouble. Sometimes I hike through streams, but without socks. Then keep walking sockless for miles. No trouble, no blisters (wet shoes keep feet cool). I wouldn't use tape unless you have trouble with ankles in town. My shoes are max $29 at Big Five. Look for a good tread and wide tread at the heel, and really light running shoe. Get a half size too large and wear two pair socks, one thin, one thick. I've seen people hike successfully in sandals too. I've used stiff "approach" or "trail running" shoes. Less comfy, more blisters, don't drain very well. But they work better with crampons. In Aug/Sept, hang out on the PCT and see what the thruhikers are wearing. 90% use tattered running shoes. Your mileage may vary, or you may do very more miles.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Miss Normandy

Miss Normandy
PostSat May 24, 2003 12:57 am 
http://www.fogdog.com/product/index.jsp?productId=943196 Love these shoes! I've never been so much in love! They are weather proof. Super light weight. Support my high arch and messed up heel. I wear them every day, no matter what I'm doing.
I've gone through three different pairs of North Face trail running shoes, one a year, and I've never been disappointed. They get better every year. I'm always impressed. I'll never go back to anything else. Here are some selections for the men: http://www.fogdog.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=693798&cp=977005.983488 And a few more for the women: http://www.fogdog.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=693800&cp=977005.983488

Support Search and Rescue. GET LOST!
BigSac

BigSac
PostSat May 24, 2003 2:18 pm 
Running Shoes
I have been using the 800 series New Balance running shoes for hiking in the Sierras with good results for several years. They sell for about $60 on sale where I live. I believe the most recent model is the 806. Amazingly enough the 804 and 805 models were American made, but I'm not sure about the newest model. When I first started using them I got sore ankles, but as my ankles adjusted to them after a couple of months that stopped happening--and I have weak ankles. I don't tape my ankles. I seem to get less blisters with the running shoes also. I probably wouldn't use them for backpacking if I was carrying more than 30 lbs., but up to that weight I prefer a running shoe over a more traditional hiking boot like a Vasque Sundowner(my other shoe.)

Go Kings!
Larry

Larry
PostTue May 27, 2003 7:24 am 
I use cheap Big 5 sale running shoes for all trail and light off-trail hiking. Switch to light Asolo leather boots for heavier cross country stuff. Always have enjoyed the light footgear, it REALLY adds to your energy level.

tk-421
Dead Weight

tk-421
Dead Weight
PostTue May 27, 2003 8:07 am 
BigSac wrote:
I have been using the 800 series New Balance running shoes for hiking
I'll second on the New Balance 800 series. I've worn them for 3-4 years, both as my everyday shoe and for hiking/walking. They are just plain great shoes. I've never had a pair wear out prematurely or have any serious structural failure.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue May 27, 2003 6:43 pm 
My ankles are a mess. I always wear proper footwear on the trail because I have to. One time I went up to Kendall Katwalk in trail runners and I got a stone bruise that lasted for about 2 months. BITE footwear makes some hiking sandals. I've got a pair for review and will write about them in an upcoming WT. What do you tenny runner types do about snow? Isn't a floppy tennis shoe a little problematic then? confused.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Miss Normandy

Miss Normandy
PostTue May 27, 2003 7:18 pm 
I don't run in the snow. Columbia makes a hiking boot I really like: Bugabootres. It took a while to break them in because they came up a little high and dug into my calves which are kind of larger than average, but after a little pain they fit perfectly. http://www.oshmans.com/product/index.jsp?productId=981797 http://www.theathletesfoot.com/product/index.jsp?productId=307993 Edit: These aren't exactly "light weight" but they aren't too bad.

Support Search and Rescue. GET LOST!
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostTue May 27, 2003 7:20 pm 
If the snow isn't too icy, or too soft, it kinda works. Boots better. But I've been up Olympus and Glacier Peak in stiffer "approach shoes". Only in late summer or fall when the snow is quite firm.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue May 27, 2003 8:18 pm 
I'm with Allison, gimpy ankles so I feel more confident in at least mid-hi hiking boots, even on a good trail. I love sandals for camp shoes though. I wouldn't tape my ankles just so I could wear sandals either. Actually I don't like the idea of hiking without my tootsies protected in a shoe. My hairy toe knuckles would scare off the babes attracted by my rather manly calves anyway.

PostWed May 28, 2003 8:07 am 
Mom always said I was ahead of the other children.