Forum Index > Trip Reports > tanum meadow, 5/25/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Robcat

Robcat
PostTue May 27, 2003 10:24 am 
Ah, memorial day weekend. That wonderful time of year when all the city folk come out to the woods for a weekend of 'wilderness' experiance, provided that they can bring the ATVs, trailers, 5th wheels, etc. In my mind, camping is what you do at the end of a long day of hiking, not what you do when you stop the car. The only thing I like about car camping is that you have the ability to bring coolers full of beer. This weekend at Tanum Meadow, I was sucessful in catching an entire season's worth of bad kharma, so hopefully, (knock, knock) I have had all the bad luck I will have this year. The pickup broke down, went into the ditch, was removed from said ditch, with the tie-rod assembly in pieces. In another hour or so, I was able to limp the pickup to the campsite, where we all had a good time drinking beer, and dropping bratwursts in the fire. The next morning when I woke, the campsite was dusted with what looked like snow, or cotton. It turns out that my GF's cousin was wearing my TNF down jacket when he lost his balance, and decided to roll around in the fire. He was fine, not even a blister, or singed hair. My jacket however, and also the REI fleece I had loaned him, are crisped. Anyone have a good project idea for salvaged down? Maybe I can make some down booties. waah.gif bawl.gif

"Wildness is the preservation of the world..."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
iconoclast

iconoclast
PostTue May 27, 2003 10:52 am 
I hope someone is taking you clothes shopping soon rolleyes.gif

Robcat

Robcat
PostWed May 28, 2003 9:14 am 
The fire diver was too embarresed to talk about what happened, but he was cool enough to fork over half the money for a new jacket, and will cough up the rest next time he comes over. I don't blame people for their mistakes, but I do ask that they pay for any damages when they do something dumb. Still, I don't think I'll be taking him on the trail this year. He was far too wasted to crawl into my Hennessy Hammock. Thank the maker! There's another piece of gear that will not be loaned out again!

"Wildness is the preservation of the world..."