Forum Index > Trip Reports > West Fork Foss Lakes 5/25/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostMon May 26, 2003 9:10 am 
This is quite a drive for me, (think it was 2 to 2 1/2 hrs) being that I live in Pierce County, but what a beautiful place it is! The first lake on the trail is Trout Lake - about 1 1/2 or so from the trailhead. The trail is beautiful and gentle on the way to Trout. There's a large creek crossing that's not a problem because rock hopping or large log walking is quite available. We encountered a HUGE tree along the trail! Very impressive! I'm guessing it was maybe 9 or 10 ft in diameter, but that's just my guess. A passer by said it was a douglas fir. Trout Lake was actually very quiet, regardless of the reports that it's a very popular hike for families. There were two guys camping there. We proceeded onward to Lake Malachite and/or Copper Lake. The trail becomes a lot more challenging beyond Trout. Lots of beautiful scenery along the way. Flowers are starting to come out. Lots of bleeding hearts, yellow violets, trilliums... There'll be more coming up here real soon, though. And wow - there are some enormous falls! There's a double-logged footbridge towards the top, which is approximately where the snow started. This is just below 4000'. The snow didn't seem to be a problem at first. We went a little ways beyond the footbridge and all of a sudden - I got swallowed by a bottomless post hole. We were so close to Malachite (I figure maybe only a 1/4 mile to go), but we decided to turn around here. So close, but the snow seemed unsure to us. Lots of water along this trail. Creeks and rivers are raging. Believe it or not, but mosquitos are starting to come out. Absolutely beautiful hike. I guess we'll get to Malachite another day.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon May 26, 2003 6:41 pm 
Glad that you had a good time Kat. You really must get up there this summer. Those lakes are some the very best the AL has to offer. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
brownster145

brownster145
PostMon May 26, 2003 9:24 pm 
Thanks for the report. I've been meaning to visit these lakes for quite some time, but I've never gotten around to it. Your report reminded me. What kind of space is there for camping at or near Trout Lake? Also, how's the fishing? Thanks for any help Andrew

catwoman

catwoman
PostTue May 27, 2003 7:46 am 
Didn't count the campsites at Trout, but there were at least a good handful. Apparently in the summer (according to my book) this is a popular stay so probably better to overnight during the week. No idea about the fishing.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue May 27, 2003 8:47 am 
As a suggestion, if you are a back country traveler, I'd suggest getting into the Foss lake area via the Dutch Miller Gap trail head and Crawford lake. This puts you into the heart of the Foss by lunch time if you leave the trail head early! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue May 27, 2003 11:21 pm 
There are tons of campsites at Trout. Bring the kids.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
brownster145

brownster145
PostWed May 28, 2003 8:36 pm 
Thanks a lot everybody! I'll most likely check it out next weekend. Andrew