Forum Index > Gear Talk > Topo 3.3.2 slow?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lost in Time and Space

Lost in Time and Space
PostMon Apr 28, 2003 10:56 pm 
I just updated to Topo 3.3.2... is it just me, or is it a lot slower than the old version?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 5:19 am 
I think it's a bit slower. I don't really care for it either. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
-lol-

-lol-
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 7:03 am 

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 11:14 am 
It does seem to be a bit slower, but not unbearably so. The new features make it worth it though. The Note tool is nice, lets you add big long notes, link to websites, and add pictures. I don't think they made the notes menu structure collapsable, which irked me a bit, but it's still a welcomed feature. The level 1, 2 and 3 maps have been updated (anyone figured out how to keep level one from centering on Kansas when you open a new region file?), and it looks like there is lots of expanded GPS tools.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Apr 29, 2003 5:45 pm 
I don't know. I find things very unhandy. When picking a tpo to open I always get the menubar on the left with Blanca under notes with Kansas in the center. When I pick Blanca, that's where I go. Nowhere near my old tpo or tpg at all. Luckely I backed up all my old tpo's & tpg's and probably will eventually remove and reinstall the older version. I think that the update is for all states and opens as such. My purchased version was WA only so opened up accordingly. IMO NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed May 07, 2003 1:54 pm 
After much toying with version 3.3.2, I have uncovered fatal flaws that moved be to remove the new version and reinstall 2.7.5 Flaw # 1 - On certain map edges, the maps will not line up correctly, and as a result, a 1-2 pixel white line will appear between the maps (this only happens on the 5th level). Where this happens, the scrolling slams to a crawl, and moving on the map is a huge pain in the ass. This was happening for me on the boundary between the Grotto and Index quads d down somewhere near the west side of Riffe Lake (don't remember which maps exactly). Flaw # 2 - .tpg files cannot be saved independantly of the .tpo file anymore. This really pissed me off, because I use the .tpg files to mark the waterfalls I've found, and I like to be able to turn the markers on and off easily, which the new version doesn't let me do as I want. Flaw # 3 - The aformentioned slower load times and the centering on Kansas issues (though I found that once you center it where you want it to center, it will open there from then on). So, I just reinstalled it all. Critical note to anybody who reinstalls: If you have any data on .tpo files (markers, routes, etc) that was transfered from older .tpo files, IT WILL BE LOST upon reinstalling, because version 3.3.2 upgrades the file, and once it has been upgraded, the older version of the software cannot open it again. You must delete the .tpo file before reinstalling in order for the maps to work. .tpg files are not harmed however.

Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostWed May 07, 2003 2:05 pm 
I agree! I dumped the upgrade last night and reinstalled the older version. I had messed around with the new version for several days. The flaws were irritating to say the least. BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed May 07, 2003 5:30 pm 
Amen Sore Feet. I had the tiling problem in the older version. Was on the PCT up around Stevens Pass. Whenever I scrolled it would stop at the seam and wait to catch up. It never left a gap when done scrolling as far as I remember. Had a waypoint location/elevation problem between the topo and the profile too. I can understand the lines not matching on any of the topos. That's a USGS problem. I would think that when they were drawn they would have tried to match the ajoining sheets. apparently not the case. Some of the matching sheets even have colors that are way off from each other. In this case, I think the older is the better. NN

tk-421
Dead Weight

tk-421
Dead Weight
PostThu May 29, 2003 3:11 pm 
Info from Topo tech support
I emailed Topo tech support about this and got the following reply:
Quote:
Thank you for your email. The new version is slower from the older version due to the fact that you are loading more maps than before. You are now opening up maps for the entire country and not just your for your state. Thanks for your support, please let me know if you have any other questions. Michael Wildschut topo@ngs.org TOPO! Technical Support National Geographic Maps Evergreen, Colorado
Q: I only have Topo Washington loaded. How can I be opening files for the rest of the country? Did I get a free upgrade? How can this impact panning on a level 5 zoom? I know, I know... quit whining and go back to v2. Already done that.