Forum Index > Trip Reports > Eagle Lake Episode 5-28-03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostWed May 28, 2003 7:13 pm 
Today, I just woke up and grabbed my hiking/climbing gear, put it into the old ' 62 Ford 4x4 and headed to parts unknown. "Yes the old truck runs fine!" Off the Beckler River Road the old truck rambled and up the Eagle Creek Road it climbed. Finally it parked at the end of the road where the old Eagle Creek Trail began to Paradise Meadows. There was one car parked below on the main road....hmmm, company I thought. Not too long after the logged-off stuff, I entered the virgin forest and set a course off-trail up the ridge. Soon, I was in the snow but it was firm though still pretty deep in drifts. I contoured the ridge climbing up and along several rocky outcrops well in view of Mt. Townsend and Eagle Rock across the valley. I crossed a small pass and viewed Grotto and Baring Mountain, took some photos, then continued on along the ridge still climbing up (steep in some places) until I came point 4,534 feet. There I made the decision to descend for the ridge had petered out, and especially after I heard loud thundering coming from near Baring. I picked a steep rib and descended down though the forest and snow where eventually I hit the Paradise Meadow Trail. On to Eagle Lake I thought, as I looked at my watch reading it near 2:00 PM. Near Eagle Lake, I ran into three people (a young couple and an older fellow named Dick Brown) coming out. We chatted a bit...the older fellow stating "Eagle Lake is still frozen, the cabin has tarps on its roof now." We bid each other a good day and went our separate ways. Before long I was standing on the shores of Eagle Lake at the cabin...indeed the lake was still frozen, the cabin still standing. Inside I went to look around. Back outside, Merchant Peak 6,113' loomed impressively above and I could see a snow cornice atop. Townsend looked very doable, but my time was running out for an ascent bid. I had thought, I can do it and come back down and hike out in the dark with my head lamp, but had second thoughts to the contrary and opted to wander back out the Paradise Trail taking photos as I went. The forest was pretty silent, the trees all standing tall and proud, and the sky cloudy with blue sucker holes here and there. At trails end, into the old truck I piled and down the road I went, occasionally stopping to take photos of various waterfalls tumbling down along the road. As I neared the Beckler, I felt content...I had once again returned home to the forest and mountains I so loved..... McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
salish

salish
PostWed May 28, 2003 8:52 pm 
Neat report, McPil. A buddy and I were thinking about hiking up to Sunset Lake (and some other lakes) in the next couple of weeks, but if Eagle is still frozen I would think Sunset is, too. Did you see any grouse? And most importantly, is your 62' Ford a 352 or a Big Six? Twin I-Beam, or did that come in later models? I hope you bring it to a TB meeting sometime - I'd love to see it. Salish

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu May 29, 2003 4:46 pm 
Salish, I didn't see any grouse, but did hear a few blue grouse hooting as they do up high. The old 1962 F-100 1/2ton Ford 4x4 has a V-8 292 power engine (replaced it with a 292 out of a 1956 Mercury that I rebuilt piece by piece myself). It is a 4-speed stick shift with a granny gear 1st, climbs mountains like a goat. Everything is manual including the steering. It has a straight axle no twin I-beam. It's an old rig with lots of rusted out spots, but a great mtn. rig with absolutely no frills. McPil PS. I've owned it since 1974, and will post a picture of it by next week or the weekend. We call it the "Buckmobil."

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostFri May 30, 2003 2:13 am 
did you put an overhead oiling kit on your 292 when you rebuilt it?

salish

salish
PostFri May 30, 2003 7:35 am 
Can't wait to see it, McPil. Those trucks are beautiful. I had a 51' Willy's pickup with a Flathead V8 I bought for $650 back in 72'. I sure as heck wish I hadn't sold it. Glad you hung on to yours! Post that pic when you get a chance.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostFri May 30, 2003 10:25 pm 
"did you put an overhead oiling kit on your 292 when you rebuilt it?" Nope, but I thought about it. McPil

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSat May 31, 2003 6:36 am 
ahhh....Flatheads. Offenhauser finned heads with Stromberg tri-power. Those were the days. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
WAZX3DRVR

WAZX3DRVR
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 1:33 pm 
I can't believe all you folks know about this lake!!! My friend Rob introduced me to this lake this past summer...I love it there!

'00 Atlantic Blue Ford Focus ZX3 Insured by SIG Sauer
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 10:07 pm 
Eagle Lake, like a ton of other lakes has been known about for well over 60 years by climbers/hikers and fishermen. See: http://www.watrailblazers.org McPil