Previous :: Next Topic

PostSun Oct 15, 2006 4:50 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'

trailjunky
Backcountry Bumpkin'
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 5:06 pm 
Awesome pics! Looks almost like something out of Glacier National Park. Sweet! up.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 5:08 pm 
Nice pics PIB. I'm glad I turned back early as Randy and Don indicated the SW ridge just below the summit block was falling apart. Must have been pretty bad for them to get that close and give up the summit. clown.gif Doesn't look like the NE ridge would be any safer. Here's a terraserver shot. eek.gif

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 5:15 pm 
Beautiful pictures PIB smile.gif I like the Cold Lake pano one the best up.gif The weather looks nice from the pictures, no rain over there over the weekend huh?

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
l

l
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 6:58 pm 
Wow, you certainly aced the C's test - color, clarity and composition. Looks like a geologically interesting area that I've put on my 'to do' list.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 7:02 pm 
Here are my pics. Looks like 18 miles according to Topo which tends to understimate mileage, and that's just to the viewpoint where I bailed and turned around. No wonder I decided to chow.gif and campfire.gif and zzz.gif instead of souse.gif last night.
GPS Tracked Path
GPS Tracked Path
Conrad Meadows
Conrad Meadows
Don, Randy, and Blue Splotches
Don, Randy, and Blue Splotches
Devils Horn
Devils Horn
Tieton Peak
Tieton Peak
Gilbert Peak
Gilbert Peak
The Hard Way
The Hard Way
Conrad Creek Waterfall
Conrad Creek Waterfall
Cold Lake and Gilbert Peak
Cold Lake and Gilbert Peak
Cold Lake
Cold Lake
Randy Scopoing Out Route from Viewpoint
Randy Scopoing Out Route from Viewpoint
Gilbert Peak from Viewpoint
Gilbert Peak from Viewpoint
Randy and Don Scoping Out Route
Randy and Don Scoping Out Route
Rainier from Viewpoint
Rainier from Viewpoint
Cold Lake from Viewpoint
Cold Lake from Viewpoint
SW Ridgeline of Tieton Peak
SW Ridgeline of Tieton Peak
Goats on SW Ridge of Tieton Peak
Goats on SW Ridge of Tieton Peak
McCall Glacier from Viewpoint
McCall Glacier from Viewpoint
Gilbert Peak and Upper Conrad Creek
Gilbert Peak and Upper Conrad Creek
Putz in Boots
Putz in Boots
Looking Back to Gilbert Peak
Looking Back to Gilbert Peak
Zooming Into Upper Conrad Creek Waterfall
Zooming Into Upper Conrad Creek Waterfall
Mt Adams from Bootpath
Mt Adams from Bootpath

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 7:05 pm 
I really like PiB's stream photo and Tom's shot of Conrad Creek Falls. Nice!

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 7:15 pm 
Thanks. Rich, I really like your "crushed" avatar too. embarassedlaugh.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 7:23 pm 
randy & don scoping out route. up.gif The place looks like a gigantic pile o' Silly Sand. Putz in Boots looks tired in that photo of her. If she's tired, I know it was a long trip. Don is an excellent man. I enjoyed the hell out of meeting him.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 7:57 pm 
Wow, amazing looking scenery!

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 8:02 pm 
18 miles, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. Hey, walking around the lake you guys probably did the same distance. hink.gif BTW, Tazz looks like she's running pretty fast in that first pano showing up twice!

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 8:15 pm 
How's the approach up the Conrad Creek drainage? Any semblance of a trail? How bad is the brush?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 8:19 pm 
Bootpath all the way. No brush.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 8:37 pm 
Thanks to Tazz for spearheading the effort to get folks out on a hike together, pretty cool destination too. It was fun to stomp around the trees and choss with Tom, Tazz, and PiB again and to get out with don b and WBS for the first time. A special thanks to don b for the ridge ramble over to the summit, the good laughs in the choss below the summit block, and the jog back to the car. up.gif Here's a rather undetailed, mini TR to supplement PiB's thread and to hopefully dissuade folks from trying to approach the summit the way donb and I did I think we all parted from the cars around 0815 and walked the road a ways coming to a gate not too long after. There was lots of talk of an earlier start, but not even a healthy dose of Emer'gen C could knock the hangover out of some of us embarassedlaugh.gif Just past the gate we dipped down to the left then crossed a couple streams on boards and twigs. The next few miles were through a mix of open forest and meadow and one marsh. The trail became faint in places but then would magically reappear to lead us on. We managed to stay with it and followed it most of the way to Cold Lake. Yet, we all agree that the key to getting us to Cold Lake was all the blue spray paint! Anyhow, from the lake Tom, Don and I headed up lake 150 yards before turning up slope into choss world. We booted up the rocks to the ridge then hoofed it over to the top of a red bump easily seen from the lake below. We stood and stared at Tieton for a while trying to self motivate. Eventually, it was decided that Tom would slide back down to the lake and head out with the others and Don and I would run the ridge and try and tuck in the peak. We dropped 150' to the NE down easy sand and scree to a little saddle at the base of some rotten crags. There were goats running the ridge just a few minutes in front of us and we used their well worn track to pick around and over the crumbling stacks of rock. On the other side, more open ridge got us up to a false summit of sorts where all we could see were piles of loose rock and crumbling crags. We dropped down 50' off the false summit to a saddle then discussed options. The goats had humped across a 70º rock face littered with scree just above some cliffs. We stopped following them at this point. Instead, we traversed left (~7500') on really loose golf ball and softball sized talus sending rivers of rock down the mountain as we went. When we came to an ugly little gully we swam our way up 50' or so until faced with piles of rock perched on more crumbling crags. We had a good chuckle at just how worthless and unmotivating the terrain was then traversed back over to the ridge just a couple hundred feet below the summit at a notch between two dogtooth spires. We found that handholds were removable on the up slope spire and decided there were better things to do with our time and headed out. We headed back along the ridge a bit then dropped down 1200' to Conrad Creek. After tanking up on some water and getting the headlamps on standby we decided to make a loop trip out of the day and go back to the car via trail 1120. It added some miles to the round trip, but at least we'd get to see some new scenery. We jogged most of the 8 or so miles back to the cars making it back around 1830. BTW, it became apparent that for the scree and choss fans out there the easiest route to the summit is via the east ridge. Don't waste your time with the SW ridge.
The Group L to R: donb, PIB, Tazz, Tom, WBS
The Group L to R: donb, PIB, Tazz, Tom, WBS
The Group in One of the Lower Meadows
The Group in One of the Lower Meadows
Wading Through Muck, Lower Meadows
Wading Through Muck, Lower Meadows
Post Muck
Post Muck
At Least They Stayed Within the Blaze. Trail to the Left. WTF?
At Least They Stayed Within the Blaze. Trail to the Left. WTF?
Don and Devil's Horns Above
Don and Devil's Horns Above
Rainier From Ridge...Here Come the Clouds
Rainier From Ridge...Here Come the Clouds
Cold Lake From Ridge
Cold Lake From Ridge
Tieton Peak and Ridge From Red Bump Above Cold Lake
Tieton Peak and Ridge From Red Bump Above Cold Lake
Don Works Toward the Summit
Don Works Toward the Summit
Adams, Cold Lake, and CG From Near Turn Around Point
Adams, Cold Lake, and CG From Near Turn Around Point
Descending From Ridge
Descending From Ridge

don b

don b
PostSun Oct 15, 2006 9:01 pm 
We were SO close to the top that it was hard to turn back but this was some of the worst rock I've ever seen and I've seen a lot! Thanks so much to Tazz for organizing our little walk and thanks to the other participants. Randy forgot to mention the 2 groups of elk we chased. 14 in the first group and several in the second bunch. It always amazes me how long the "smell of elk" lingers in the air after they take off! This was my first time meeting members of this great group and I really enjoyed putting names and faces to all the posts I've been enjoying. Thanks to all and I look forward to getting to know you all better.