Forum Index > Photography Talk > Expansion to the digital darkroom
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri May 23, 2003 9:38 pm 
Some people felt energized today because they were leaving town on a holiday weekend. Others, maybe because they were going to be visited by loved ones. Me? Oooh baby, I don't care if it WAS the nicest day outside of 2003...because my new baby arrived to populate my digital darkroom for hopefully years of pleasure. No no no, we're done with those kinds of babies now that they are 8.75 and 4.9 year old kidlets. I'm speaking of the arrival of my new Epson Stylus Photo 2200 printer!! This printer is a joy to own, and I'm only 6 hours into owning it. Archival UltraChrome inks for up to 80 years lightfastness on various papers. Edge-to-edge printing on 4", 8.3", or 13" roll paper...and it has its own built in paper cutter too when printing out the prints using the roller and roll paper. Bonus is the amazing silence of it in operation---no way the family upstairs sleeping at night will hear it as it is virtually silent. Finally, having the ability to hook it up via Firewire IEEE1394 is so great compared to the standard par. port. Fast! I have been very happy with the crisp sharpness in the first enlargements I've printed tonight. While I loved my Epson Stylus Photo 1200 that I used for the past 3.5 years, now that I have this new 2200 I've never thought I'd be happy to say I'm glad that 1200 kicked the bucket. biggrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri May 23, 2003 11:13 pm 
I'm not jealous. Really. dizzy.gif

Larry

Larry
PostTue May 27, 2003 7:19 am 
I've seen the 2200 in action, Alan. The black and whites are phenomenal, I've never seen a printer do what the 2200 can with black and white. The cost per print is really low, and you don't get a truly good low cost ratio in most printers. I've seen some really thick stuff come through the manual pass-thru mode, with GREAT results. Of course, the color is out of this world. Gosh....no....envious? Me? What a great addition, Alan.

Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostWed May 28, 2003 7:46 am 
Yes, you're right on all accounts Larry. One of the big reasons I was excited about this printer is the ability to take different black cartridges in it for Photo vs. Matte and then to have the LIGHT black ink tank in it---the B&W images it prints are outstanding!! I was very lucky to get it. I was needing to upgrade as my 1200 was starting to have many problems. I was having difficulty looking at that $600+ price tag...and then along comes my close friend who just bought his and decided he should get the monster Epson 9000 or 7000 or whatever it is that stands on the floor, weighs over 185 lbs, and prints 40+" wide stuff (he creates digital art for shows and many other things--a truly talented person in his own right). He dump his 1 month old 2200 to me for only $400. biggrin.gif up.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu May 29, 2003 5:15 am 
It is infomation like this that makes this site so amazingly valuable. I've been thinking about upgrading and this info just hits at the right time. Thank you Alan for sharing your good fortune. up.gif http://www.macworld.com/2002/10/reviews/epson/

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Larry

Larry
PostThu May 29, 2003 6:59 am 
Alan Bauer wrote:
Yes, you're right on all accounts Larry. One of the big reasons I was excited about this printer is the ability to take different black cartridges in it for Photo vs. Matte and then to have the LIGHT black ink tank in it---the B&W images it prints are outstanding!! I was very lucky to get it. I was needing to upgrade as my 1200 was starting to have many problems. I was having difficulty looking at that $600+ price tag...and then along comes my close friend who just bought his and decided he should get the monster Epson 9000 or 7000 or whatever it is that stands on the floor, weighs over 185 lbs, and prints 40+" wide stuff (he creates digital art for shows and many other things--a truly talented person in his own right). He dump his 1 month old 2200 to me for only $400. biggrin.gif up.gif
Alan SCORES the dregs of a "dumped" 2200! Man, what a GREAT deal. Again, on the black and white...I can't say how phenomenal that thing does with black and white. I saw the results of some family portraiture, as well as some nudes that were printed in black and white. The skin tone, texture, subtleties of gradation...unbelievable. He was printing it on some kind of really thick stuff with a beautiful surface. Then, just popped behind a mat, and presto...no gluing, no mounting, no nothing...just a hinge mount and he was done.

Larry

Larry
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 12:48 pm 
Alan: I received a wonderful print at 11x14 from my friend's 2200. Wow, wow, wow! It came out so nice, saturated, beautiful print job. What a printer...