Forum Index > Photography Talk > Medium/large format digital cameras?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat May 31, 2003 5:10 pm 
Are they available? Will future digital sensor technology make different film formats obsolete?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat May 31, 2003 5:53 pm 
Nope, the largest format DSLR currently available is the Canon 1Ds which costs around $7000 (mostly due to the size of the sensor which is the same size as 35mm film). On sub $2000 DSLRs like the Canon 10D and Nikon D100, the sensors are much smaller. Only the center of the image projected by the lens is captured by the sensor, resulting in a "crop" (on the 10D the crop factor is 1.6, meaning a 100mm lens on a 35mm film SLR becomes a 160mm lens on the 10D). The following picture illustrates the relative sizes of the sensors (actual sizes are much smaller). A medium format sensor would be prohibitively expensive to produce. No doubt we'll get there one day, but it's a ways away.

photographerJim

photographerJim
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 12:50 am 
burger.gif mmmm EOS 1D drink.gif

"Whoooo-Whoooo"
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 1:19 am 
Tom wrote:
Nope, the largest format DSLR currently available is the Canon 1Ds which costs around $7000 (mostly due to the size of the sensor which is the same size as 35mm film)....A medium format sensor would be prohibitively expensive to produce. No doubt we'll get there one day, but it's a ways away.
Au contrare! I dunno whether the sensor was developed specifically to work with medium format cameras, but the new Hasselblad H1 can accept digital sensor cartridges in place of the 4x5 film backs. Hasselblad doesn't make them (I don't think), but I believe Kodak and HP(?) make cartridges that are compatable with the 'blad back. http://www.hasselblad.com/frames/contentframe.asp?pageURL=/products/level1.asp?secId=226 Mmmmm. I think I'm in love. wub.gif Now where did I put that extra 5 grand?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 11:48 am 
Ahh yes, I forgot about the 16MP Kodak 645H. I'm not sure if it's actually available yet. List price was announced at something like $12K (for the sensor) and the initial samples didn't look as good as the 1Ds (which sells for about half the price including camera). It's kind of funny if you do a google search on 645H and note progress since it was announced at Photokina in September. At PMA in March, Fuju announced a 20MP medium format back. No pricing or availibily was announced, but it probably has a brighter future than the 645H. Photographer Jim, have you actually seen the size of the 1D and 1Ds? eek.gif You'd have to be nuts to carry one of those hiking. Now I can understand why Medium Format Lare might say "it's not that big of a deal". suuure.gif

Larry

Larry
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 12:42 pm 
Right on, Tom! My Yashica Mat weighs 2 pounds even...not bad really. Okay...this is "Medium Format Lare", signing off.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 12:39 am 
Tom wrote:
List price was announced at something like $12K (for the sensor) and the initial samples didn't look as good as the 1Ds (which sells for about half the price including camera).
I think that may have been a typo. I was thumbing through the June issue of Popular Photography, and they had a bit on the H1 and the 645H, which I believe was listed at $1,195.00, but I'm not positive on that. $12k seems a bit outrageous, considering you can get the H1 body, a film cartridge and a lens or two for half that. I'd hate to see what a digital back for a large format cam would go for... eek.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 2:53 am 
Sore Feet wrote:
Tom wrote:
List price was announced at something like $12K (for the sensor) and the initial samples didn't look as good as the 1Ds (which sells for about half the price including camera).
I think that may have been a typo. I was thumbing through the June issue of Popular Photography, and they had a bit on the H1 and the 645H, which I believe was listed at $1,195.00, but I'm not positive on that. $12k seems a bit outrageous, considering you can get the H1 body, a film cartridge and a lens or two for half that. I'd hate to see what a digital back for a large format cam would go for... eek.gif
I'm guessing that was indeed the originally announced price... Just like everything on the bleeding edge, pricing starts in the stratosphere and comes down to something approaching reasonable in a year or two. I think I remember seeing pricing for a 6 GB Compact Flash cards being around $6995. Pretec's 3 GB CF card was announced at $2499.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short