Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Today Yakima War Begins
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Oct 05, 2006 9:25 pm 
Another interesting date to remember Today in our Western history. http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=5311 The Yakima Tribe finally got one of the largest reservations in the Territory. Other lesser Tribes who never raised arms against the US Army or settlers got little or nothing. The Wannapum Tribe come to mind. Note: I believe that the Yakama Tribe forbids white hikers going to the east side of Mt. Adams. Hey, The squeaky wheel get's the grease. I've always wanted to go for a hike at east Mt Adams.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hyak.net

hyak.net
PostThu Oct 05, 2006 10:29 pm 
That's a good read, thanks for the link. I have read versions of the story over the years having grown up in the Yakima area. I still think its foolish that the tribe changed the spelling of their name, but I guess its their choice.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Oct 05, 2006 11:04 pm 
It is interesting stuff. I'm not a historian. And I'm only slightly college educated - but I love this stuff! I live in King County and I take the Yakima Tribe seriously because they actually came across Natches Pass to attack Seattle during the Indian War. And they killed a guy. And more people in the valley. Such is war - I think about that every time I'm drinking beer in Seattle's Pioneer Square.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostFri Oct 06, 2006 7:05 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
Note: I believe that the Yakama Tribe forbids white hikers going to the east side of Mt. Adams.
It used to be that way, but now they allow access.
Quote:
Recreation permits are required in the Reservation area and are available for a small fee from rangers at Bird Lake, or call 509-865-5121, ext. 657, for details.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
hyak.net

hyak.net
PostFri Oct 06, 2006 5:23 pm 
I wonder if they allow people to drive the Mt Adams highway? Ever since I read the history on that highway I've wanted to give it a drive!

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Oct 19, 2006 5:57 am 
hyak.net wrote:
I wonder if they allow people to drive the Mt Adams highway? Ever since I read the history on that highway I've wanted to give it a drive!
You can buy a wild horse. http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/289227_yakamahorses19.html

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostFri Oct 27, 2006 8:51 am 
Death Valley Days
Today October 27, 1855 the war came to the Sound country when Klikitat, Muckelshoot, and Nisqually Indians begin Attacks. http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=2008
Klikitat a Yakima Cousin
Klikitat a Yakima Cousin
The Klikitats are more Chinook than Salish and are cousins of the Yakima. Tomorrow the war will come to the Kent/Auburn valley and many settlers will die.
Brannan Farm on Auburn Way
Brannan Farm on Auburn Way
The Cabin Was There
The Cabin Was There
http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=5623
Slaughter and Three Others Killed Same Cabin.
Slaughter and Three Others Killed Same Cabin.
One month later 28Y/O Bill Slaughter and three others will die in the same cabin while fighting the war in Auburn, originally named town of Slaughter.

greg

greg
PostThu Nov 02, 2006 12:17 pm 
Another curious date in history for you 'Brushy http://www.historylink.org/essays/output.cfm?file_id=7745