Forum Index > Food & Grub > re-hydration
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 11:15 pm 
What besides gator-aid do you use ? it kinda upsets my stomach. I was hoping to start a discusion on replacing electrolytes, hydration, and how to prevent sore muscles. (lactic acid build-up) or how to help recover once at camp. (ibuprofin, I know) Energy drink? I usually take an avacado/salt for the hike in... it's good!!! should I try actual Oarnge juice for the hike in? thanks!!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eating machine

Eating machine
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 11:23 pm 
I'm convinced if you eat right all the time (on and off trail), all you need is water. A banana at the trailhead ought to be sufficient. Of course, the electrolyte industry would never tell you this. Purely from hundreds of miles of experience. Lactic acid is from anaerobic exercise. Slow down and it'll drop dramatically. If in shape and you are used to the exercise, the muscles won't hurt. As for joint pain, the various anti-inflammatories are used by many with good result. Muscle pain ain't gonna hurt ya! Drink a 20 oz bottle of water on the drive to the trailhead. If you start hydrated, and are peeing clear, you'll be fine. Enjoy your hike!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
tasslehouf

tasslehouf
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 12:00 am 
I've never used it on a hike but I used to use this stuff before swimming. It's called something fizz. I can't find it at any health food stores online but if you go into seattle super supplements and ask for a drink mix called something fizz they'll know what you're talking about. It's full of electrolites and viatimins and minerals. Like I said I've never tried it on a hike but if that's what you want that's the stuff to buy.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 12:32 am 
Water is probably it. That said, I read a report that tested ALL the rehydration drinks out there and Gatorade won the day! I love the stuff. In the powdered form! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 12:50 am 
I like to stow a quart of water in the car for immediate post hike consumption. Drink it down, right down. I am old and feeble and out of shape and today that quart once again saved my bacon. Now someone tell me what arthritis med is available in Gu form for me to mainline into my joints somehow. wheelchair.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
paapy

paapy
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 8:21 am 
On an 80 degree day on Sperry Pk, I gave slightly out of shape and wilting friend some G-aide. He perked right up. On Leroy Cr High route, (am I name dropping again?) I gave a peach to someone and got the same positive result as g-aide. If its really hot you might want more than water, but as rubberlegs points out, if you hike within your conditioning limits, eat right, eat often and drink lots before and after (allison) and you'll be fine. Odd that G-aide would upset your stumoch. Fruit juice is know to do that, but I've never heard of sports drinks doing that.

An Observer

An Observer
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 8:26 am 
And don't forget if your urine looks concentrated and you don't go all day or very seldom that you might be behind in your fluid intake! An easy way to check how things are.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 2:18 pm 
Thanks ya'll for the input!! up.gif I have allso used 2 apples on the hike in and it really does help . (or a fresh avacado) and a nanner sounds good allso.

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 2:47 pm 
I use frozen concentrated orange juice--on the first day of my outing. (I can't keep the concetrate frozen in my pack for subsequent days). I make 4 quarts. 2quarts of frozen concentrate at Fred Meyer is $.69 right now. I drink 1 quart on the way to the trailhead and 3 quarts I put in my bladder. I drink 3 quarts during my outing. That's a total of 1,400 calories--and most of it is carbohydrates. And it tastes yummy. You can't find a cheaper and more caloric concoction on the market. It beats Gatorade/Cytomax. However, day 2 is a different story......

Art is an adventure.
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 4:00 pm 
I used to just drink sports drinks on the trail but after a while reverted back to water with an occasional Safeway Gatorade-clone thrown down. I concur with others about eating fruit- it really gives you a natural boost. The best example of that I ever got was when I was way out of shape and lugging a huge backpack up the Asgaard Pass route to the Enchantments, sun beating down, and 2/3rd ways up a pal gave me an apple-hopefully from nearby Wenatchee- boy was that good!!! I've never looked at the lowly apple without a tinge of appreciation ever since. Ibuprofin has saved my bacon a few times too.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 11:40 pm 
paapy wrote:
On an 80 degree day on Sperry Pk, I gave slightly out of shape and wilting friend some G-aide. He perked right up. On Leroy Cr High route, (am I name dropping again?) I gave a peach to someone and got the same positive result as g-aide. If its really hot you might want more than water, but as rubberlegs points out, if you hike within your conditioning limits, eat right, eat often and drink lots before and after marylou and you'll be fine. Odd that G-aide would upset your stumoch. Fruit juice is know to do that, but I've never heard of sports drinks doing that.
So Paps, if I just drink a lot of water, my arthritis will go away? That is so AWESOME!! hockeygrin.gif up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 5:48 am 
Orange Juice keeps me going on day hikes. It helps corrrect potassium loss and gives energy to boot. On long bike rides (more than 100 miles) though I like to use Cytomax powder. It helps prevent muscle fatigue and eliminate the "bonk" effect. Similar to Allison I will leave water, Tazo Tea, or Gatorade bottles back at the car to look forward to. Sometimes I will leave a caffeinated pop in the first stream I pass on the way in. I pick it up on the return. It is refreshing and helps me stay awake for the drive home.

paps

paps
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 6:23 am 
allison wrote:
paapy wrote:
drink lots before and after (allison) and you'll be fine. Odd that G-aide would upset your stumoch. Fruit juice is know to do that, but I've never heard of sports drinks doing that.
So Paps, if I just drink a lot of water, my arthritis will go away? That is so AWESOME!! hockeygrin.gif up.gif
alls, My comments were generic. I wasn't commenting on your arthritis, just crediting you for the "drinking water after thing". If I drank that much OJ in a day I'd want to hurl.gif

tasslehouf

tasslehouf
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 12:52 am 
Not sure if anyone cares at this point but the product I was talking about is called Emer'gen-C content: 7 calories 0 fat 60 mg sodium 1.7g carbs 1.5 g sugars vit C 1000mg glucosamine sulfate (12% potasium) 500mg chondroitin sulfate (5% sodium) 400 mg Niacin Mineral Complexes 10mg Folic Acid 25 mcg B12 25mcg potassium 200 mg Magnesium 60 mg Calcium 50mg Zinc 2 mg Manganese 1mg Chromium 10 mcg Alpha-lipoic acid 1mg mix 1 packet with 4-6oz water 3 or more times a day many flavors available that dont taste gross.