Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 12:55 am 
Tazz wrote:
are you serious?
Yeah, totally, but everyone is safe and sound. We have had these floods from time to time and sometimes I forget how near the family home is to the Puyallup River. The banks are high and hardened with concrete, and the highest I ever saw it as a kid was probably 4' below jumping the banks. This is right in the town of Puyallup. I finally reached my mom tonight and the river was within 6" of the road, which means it was right at the very top of the concrete banks. They didn't have to evacuate, and mom + spouse and kitties are fine. I did ask her how things looked in the basement and it reminded her that they ought to take a look. doh.gif The basement sits well below the high water mark and they may have had an unpleasant surprise once they looked in there, but all my concerns are allayed as my family's accounted for. smile.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 2:33 am 
this awful storm
The Nooksack River near Ferndale was crazy-high near I-5. A view from the air is here .The folks of Mt Vernon built sandbag walls to keep the Skagit from pouring in. This storm was not as bad as forecasted in much of northwest Washington due to the Olympic Mountains rainshadow. Yesterday, anticipating high winds, rain and just generally awful weather I went duck hunting. On the way to the duck marsh I had to drive through 1+ foot of water over the road in downtown Ferndale. I guess the Nooksack went even higher after that. It wasn't all that rainy and windy at the duck hole. It was weird not having to wear gloves in the blind since it was so warm. Most of my memories in the blind are of being cold and wet especially hands. Was that lightning flashes I saw the other night? The Mt Baker Highway east of Maple Falls between Silver Lake and Maple Creek Bridge (milepost 26 to 27) according to WSDOT So I guess that means the town of Glacier and that part of Mt Baker like Mt Baker Ski Area is inaccessible. That's really awful about the road between Longmire and Westside Entrance to Mt Rainier NP being washed out. That means that all the backcountry skiers, snowshoers, sledders and auto tourists will not be able to drive up to Paradise this winter. Paradise is one of the most popular winter recreation spots in the Northwest and now all those people will not be able to drive there this winter. Very bad! frown.gif Hopefully, they'll get the money to fix it real soon, as soon as possible. This is all due to Global Warming, ya' know? flammable.gif Just joking! Wash DOT's webpage on closures has a lot of good information.

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 9:12 am 
South Fork Skykomish River "before" (10-30-06). River flow @ 1,400 cfs.
Same location "after" (11-6-06). River flow @ 102,000 cfs.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 10:25 am 
I took Crystal out this morning to do her business and noticed hwy. 9 had an erie quietness. As I reached the hwy. and looked N into the valley, it became clear, it's flooded. I'm going to head down in a bit and check things out. I can only imagine what the surrounding roads look like today with hwy. 9 being cut off. I don't know how many people drive this hwy. into Seattle each day, but I would guess in the hundreds if not thousands.

andrew e

andrew e
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 1:52 pm 
This pic posted in WTA's trip reports, of a trail bridge above the Skykomish River at Deception Falls is just extraordinary:

Justan

Justan
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 4:29 pm 
Quark wrote:
This flood incident will spur a whole barrage of repair issues in the NF, NP, and other public lands. Check the websites of land managers often - in a case like this, it's ok to ASSUME there will be public comment periods in the future, but no one will knock on your door, you have to make effort. Check land manger websites, check with Mountaineers publications, Washington Trails publications, sign up for online newsletters and emails from these organizations. Don't forget!!!! And if you miss out and don't participate, don't whine more than two times.
Quark, Thanks for posting this. Can you provide an example or two of sites which may provide notification and/or information about public discussion on the topic or topics? I don’t know where to begin to look for this kind of information. Thanks again.

-Justan Elk
andrew e

andrew e
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 4:48 pm 
You'll find action alerts from the Washington Trails Association here: http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/wtaweb.pl?2+advocacy+alerts Also, the monthly email Trail News often has action alerts about trail-specific issues. You can sign up here: http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/wtaweb.pl?4+tn+show

Stones
funk soul brother

Stones
funk soul brother
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 8:55 am 
An interesting image and discussion: Rainfal totals 10-31 to 11-08

Let me stand next to your fire
Justan

Justan
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 9:12 am 
andrew e wrote:
You'll find action alerts from the Washington Trails Association here: http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/wtaweb.pl?2+advocacy+alerts Also, the monthly email Trail News often has action alerts about trail-specific issues. You can sign up here: http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/wtaweb.pl?4+tn+show
Thanks! Any knowledge of where the national park & forest services post this kind of information?

-Justan Elk
Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 11:33 am 
Now this is what we like to see instead of rain!!! Looking good up there! dance.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 11:57 am 
Justan wrote:
andrew e wrote:
Thanks! Any knowledge of where the national park & forest services post this kind of information?
Hey, Justan Elk: I have sites bookmarked at home, and I’ll forward them to you. I only have those sites that interest me, however. For instance, I don’t have Federation State Forest though it is probably findable in the state forest website. Region 6 Forests public comments are usually on a page titled, “Conditions,” or “public comment” or “updates.” They’re all different. Just don’t rely on notices at trailheads. There simply isn’t the personnel to make sure any flyers or signs posted are re-installed to replace those that have been ripped off, or destroyed by weather or bullets. What I like to do is build a rapport with the folks in the ranger stations. Of course that’s hard to do in summer when you’re through before they open and after they close, but early season, I drop in on occasion. I also forgot to mention: get on REI’s website: after the last 100 year flood event, the NP and FS collaborated on a slideshow and meeting about the damage to their lands. (I think there were 2).

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Justan

Justan
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 11:25 am 
Thank you Quark! up.gif I plan to use your generous help to provide a means for the locals to voice their opinions. up.gif

-Justan Elk