Forum Index > Gear Talk > Blisters
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 9:15 pm 
talc. powder along w/ the thin liner sox and toms tip of tying the shoe laces around the back/top of the boot. cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tasslehouf

tasslehouf
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 10:51 pm 
So while we're on the subject of blisters. I thought I'd share the blister skin I just pulled off my heel!
Just to compare how big it is yum
Just to compare how big it is yum

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 12:32 am 
I tried the "two layers of duct tape" on Tanja, but she kept getting loose anyway. mum.gif wub.gif devilsmile.gif

El Puma

El Puma
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 5:23 am 
I have a hard time breaking in boots as well. During an attempt with some LaSportivas (later abandoned), I followed a suggestion out of BP magazine and changed socks (some Smartwool, some Thorlo, some Wigwam) initially every hour, later every two hours. I'd attach the used sock to the outside of my pack for drying. While it didn't eliminate the blister problem, it delayed it as well as reduced its intensity to the point where I could actually almost make it up to Camp Sherman. Initially though, I found it important not to overdo the length of the hike until a usable flexibility had been attained. Have you tried Superfeet inserts? They change/flatten the shape of your foot and thus alter the positioning of the heel... Take them back to . . . and see if Mark still works in the shoe dept. He will heat them and rub the heel out a bit with a special tool to make it more flexible. I have used Duct Tape as protection as well, but have been faced with the same problems of automatic removal (=more blisters) and glue on socks. To break boots in, I will wear them on neighborhood walks for about 50 miles before they ever go into the mountains. Due to my "problem" with boots, I am always on the lookout for new hiking boots, so I can break one pair in on short hikes while owning a comfortable pair for long ones. Once the comfortable pair dies, the other ones will be ready to be "upgraded". On another foot note- I am presently trying to crack a pair of Salomons. No blistering, but somehow the toe box is of a shape that allows the outer toes of my right foot to fall asleep after about 2 hours in them (and that's in town)! I seem to have plenty of wiggle-room in them though...

Blister police

Blister police
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 6:12 am 
Aren't La Sportiva's very stiff? The stiff boots intended for ice climbing and rigid crampons are unforgiving when hiking uphill. If this type of boot is unnecessary, try a more flexible boot. If necessary, wear tennies until you reach the snow. Your heels will thank you.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
guest 1001

guest 1001
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 8:21 pm 
Ankle High stockings
You may look into trying Ankle high stockings. I use some 3m tape, then the stocking, then a thin wool sock. If it's hot out, I smear on some anti-perspirant on my feet, let if dry for a few minutes then apply the tape to keep it peeling off because of sweat. You can get a 10 pair pack of ankle highs for a few dollars.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 8:33 am 
Several people have already mentioned this: DUCT TAPE BEFORE THE HIKE DUCT TAPE BEFORE THE HIKE DUCT TAPE BEFORE THE HIKE DUCT TAPE BEFORE THE HIKE DUCT TAPE BEFORE THE HIKE DUCT TAPE BEFORE THE HIKE DUCT TAPE BEFORE THE HIKE DUCT TAPE BEFORE THE HIKE DUCT TAPE BEFORE THE HIKE DUCT TAPE BEFORE THE HIKE It works--and stays on wet feet. You just have to figure out how much.....

Art is an adventure.