Forum Index > Photography Talk > Canon G5 Baby!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 11:01 am 
Welp, they've gone and done it...released the 5MP version of your beloved G3. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0306/03060201canong5.asp I'll have to admit it's pretty stylish in the black finish.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 11:27 am 
Actually the G5 a big disappointment. All they did was paint the G3 black and add a megapixel. The sensor is the same size so the pictures are noisier (they've just crammed more photosensors into the same space to achieve the extra megapixel). If I were buying a new digicam I would pick the G3 over the G5 and save the $100-200. Same thing goes for the S45 vs. S50.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 11:57 am 
I've never really liked the form factor of the S45...the long body and sliding of the physical door always seemed ugly/flaky design. Much prefer the smaller format of the S400/Digital Elph. I know I'm not getting quite as much control -- the S45 had a lot more manual modes to choose from -- but for my purposes it's perfect. 4 Megapixels and a 400+ shots per battery in a package the size of 1.5 decks of cards...ahh progress! Michael

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 12:42 pm 
You can get the G# series in black. I actually have a G2 in black. - marta

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 5:32 pm 
it surprises/disapoints me that Cannon would do that! Why SLIDE on by like that just to have a 5MP camera. Especially one that doesnt take better pics than the 3! down.gif down.gif down.gif TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 6:29 pm 
It'll be hard, but I'll make do with my G3. Actually, it will have to be better, smaller and lighter before I upgrade. Unless I have more money. Ahhh, someday. My G3 is just fine for now. IMO. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 9:22 pm 
BPJ, it's all about marketing.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 12:14 am 
Good I say. Enough people will wet their pants over the 5, driving down the price of the 3 enough that I can acutally afford one. embarassedlaugh.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 5:10 am 
Tom, what is your take on the S 400?

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 9:18 am 
Dean, the S400 has great reviews. I haven't used one. Both MichaelB and the Nav formerly known as Erik have one if I recall correctly. Same size as the original elph, but 4MP with 3x zoom. Overall, probably the best point and shoot mini-digicam money can buy at this time, realizing that you can only squeeze so much out picture quality out of a small lens.