Forum Index > Trail Talk > Damaged trails and roads here
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
greg

greg
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 12:28 pm 
Hoosierdaddy wrote:
Road closure update from Olympic Nat'l Park Service: http://home.nps.gov/applications/digest/headline.cfm?type=Incidents&id=2970 Bummer....I had a weekend trip to Cape Alava all planned out. mad.gif
FYI, ONP people say the Hoko-Ozette Road is open again.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
greg

greg
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 4:38 pm 
Olympic National Park Road Update Park crews continue to make progress in clearing roads and assessing damage from last weekend’s heavy rains and floods. A road engineer from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) will work in the park this weekend to evaluate damage to park roads and explore options for making repairs and restoring vehicle access. A summary of known damage follows. • Hoh Road – remains closed at its intersection with Highway 101, while Jefferson County and Olympic National Park continue to make damage assessments. Areas of significant damage have been found in both the county and park owned sections of road. Significant damage occurred at Twin Creek where a 65-foot long and 25-foot deep section of road has been completely washed away. Options for restoring vehicle access will be evaluated with the FHWA engineer this weekend. Park crews are evaluating damage to the utility systems (water, electric, phone) today and will examine the remaining five-mile section of road over weekend. • Quinault North Shore Road – The east abutment of the Finley Creek Bridge was significantly damaged by floodwaters. Park crews are currently working to stabilize the compromised abutment to prevent further damage. The bridge remains closed to all traffic, as does the road east of the bridge. • Quinault South Shore Road has been cleared and is passable. Debris remains along the road shoulders and the road surface is rough; caution is advised. • The North Fork Road is closed because of erosion in vicinity of the campground. • Crews are working today to remove fallen trees and gain access to the Graves Creek Road. Road damage will be assessed this weekend. The Hurricane Ridge Road is closed today because of snow and icy conditions. Dosewallips, Staircase and Queets Roads remain closed due to previous damage and unsafe conditions. The Deer Park Road is closed for the season. The Elwha, Lake Crescent, Sol Duc, Mora, Ozette and Kalaloch areas are open. Visitors are urged to use caution when traveling through the park and to come prepared for a variety of weather conditions, including high winds and heavy rain which are forecast for later this week. For current road information, people should call the Olympic National Park recorded road and weather information line at 360-565-3131. -- NPS --

gorp

gorp
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 5:26 pm 
middle fork road blocked at MP 14.5

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 5:27 pm 
Some photos of the damage to Mt Rainier NP can be seen here: Mount Rainier Climbing blog. Mike Gauthier has some great shots of the damage as well as reporting wind gusts up to 120MPH on Nov. 6th at Camp Muir...incredible. And also mentions rain fall recorded over 18" thus far since the storm(s) began. I also heard that all log bridges on the Wonderland Trail are out...not surprising.

Opinions expressed here are my own.
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 5:30 pm 
gorp wrote:
Damn! mad.gif Is this near the new campground?

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 5:44 pm 
Randy wrote:
gorp wrote:
Damn! mad.gif Is this near the new campground?
Actually that sounds like one of the usual spots by Garfield. The Taylor River trail head is at 12.6 miles Poached from Vtrail.com, driving instructions for Taylor River trail "Continue for 12.2 miles (gravel road starts in 2.5 miles) to the junction after bridge crossing. Road #56 turns right, but you should go straight on Taylor River Road #5620 for another 0.4 mile to the gate"

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 5:51 pm 
Well, that's good enough. That gets me far enough up there for a worth while after-work trip tomorrow.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 5:54 pm 
I just looked at Gauthier's website for the first time. Awesome. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 6:19 pm 
i'll bet the usual garfield washout boulder field is unreal this time around. take a camera randy!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 10:13 pm 
Westside road an MRNP is gone. Bye bye. Seeya later.

Damian

Damian
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 11:00 pm 
Any bets on whether the Enchanted Valley Chalet survived?

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 8:20 am 
Just saw that the Money Creek Road is washed out 3 miles up. No big surprise there, I guess. frown.gif

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 10:21 am 
No one has mentioned it, but I would guess that the brand new bridge on the Monte Cristo road is probably gone. If so, it sure had a short life "span," about as long as Galloping Gertie back in 1940.

We don't stop hiking because we grow old; we grow old because we stop hiking. --Finis Mitchell
Karen

Karen
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 10:35 am 
Just read that Road 9030/9031 is washed out where they split. Those are the roads to Talapus/Olallie Lakes and Mason Lake. Don't know any additional details or how bad the slide is. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 12:06 pm 
I pulled this off of cc.com: **************************** Middle Fork Snoqualmie washed out at Burntboot Creek. Trailbed is completely gone. We couldn't even find where it resumed after looking for a while. Good news is that there is now a large cedar log that will allow easy crossing of the Burntboot Creek. A trail will have to be built to it though. Also on the Middlefork Trail there is a large tree down on boardwalk about a mile east of Dingford Creek. A log bridge has rotted out and collapsed on a tributary just west of Wildcat Creek. The Middlefork Road is washed out about a mile or so past the hairpin turn below Hell Hill. Another mile in the roadbed is covered in rocks washed down from above. That one will take quite a bit of work to clear. Other than those two, the road is pretty good.