Forum Index > Trail Talk > How can we help?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 5:35 pm 
I for one would love to see if anyone on here has some good ideas on ways to help these folks that have had their lives wrecked by these terrible floods. Any ideas? Be more specific than saying "contribute to the Red Cross"........
Yes, that's a house floating down the Cowlitz river near Packwood yesterday.

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostWed Nov 08, 2006 10:17 pm 
Thanks for your ideas, I live in Kirkland, so I'll figure out where to head to over the next couple of days...any suggestions? I have a truck and I plan on going there late Friday and Saturday/Sunday

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Beargrass

Beargrass
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 8:31 am 
grizzy86 wrote:
I for one would love to see if anyone on here has some good ideas on ways to help these folks that have had their lives wrecked by these terrible floods. Any ideas? Be more specific than saying "contribute to the Red Cross"........
Yes, that's a house floating down the Cowlitz river near Packwood yesterday.
Totally amazing, I saw that picture in many places on the net yesterday. All sources agree that house came from Packwood. But almost no one gave credit to the photographer. One website, I don't recall which, either a tv station or newspaper did give photo credits. They said it was taken by a Chehalis City employee near downtown Chehalis. Assuming the home site was anywhere near the city proper of Packwood that means the house traveled about 70 miles to where it was photographed.

Tazz

Tazz
PostThu Nov 09, 2006 8:36 am 
Photo credits go to. Lewis County Sheriff's Office, Shelley Matchett/Via the Associated Press The shot was originally in the The News Tribune slide show. Many touching shots in the slide show.

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostFri Nov 10, 2006 10:05 pm 
One immediate need for lots of folks in rural areas is help getting barns patched up and mucked out, and getting fences mended. Soaked hay needs to be removed from the barns before it molds and causes problems, and critters need shelter from the storms that will just keep on coming. The fences need mending where water has undermined them or just driven trees right through them. If you're at all handy, I guarantee your help would be welcomed. We came through the storms basically unscathed up here, but the farms down south really got hammered.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat Nov 11, 2006 10:26 am 
As stunning as this may seem here in the Pac' Northwest, a lot of people neither own, nor know how to use, a chainsaw. This typically applies more to folks who have moved here from somewhere else. I keep mine sharp, gassed up and full of home-brewed bar oil all winter long; and fire it up for a couple of minutes now and then so the gas doesn't go sour. It's actually very helpful where someone might have a tree down, or a couple washed up on his property or maybe blocking a road or driveway to buck up the tree and just get it out of the way so access (for aid cars, fire, police or just your neighbors) can be restored. But PIB's suggestion is spot on. Only a good-hearted person would think of such a thing. (Perhaps that's why it didn't occur to me wink.gif ) And one other thing: if your neighbors are away, or got flooded out and you didn't, keep an eye on their homes and property. We've had a phenomenally nasty case of looting up here in North Bend that's been on television on KING 5 news, I think. Couple of guys drove through flood water in a 4X4 and emptied someone's house. Simply disgusting.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
ree

ree
PostSat Nov 11, 2006 10:41 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
As stunning as this may seem here in the Pac' Northwest, a lot of people neither own, nor know how to use, a chainsaw.
Dave, I know this must be STUNNING, but I'm not from here, and I'm an EXPERT with a chainsaw.

salish

salish
PostSat Nov 11, 2006 10:43 am 
I'm heading down south today to help a friend sandbag on his place near the Green. It feels really good to be able to help.

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSat Nov 11, 2006 1:32 pm 
ree wrote:
Dave, I know this must be STUNNING, but I'm not from here, and I'm an EXPERT with a chainsaw.
Nice carving. I run into more people who aren't from around here who've never really had any use for a chain saw. Ergo, they simply don't know how to use them. I interviewed a guy last year in New Jersey who has lived there all his life, and he doesn't drive. Doesn't own a car, says he has no use for one. It's all relative. I like Stihl the best, what's your poison?

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostSat Nov 11, 2006 3:04 pm 
hijacked.gif

David

David
PostMon Nov 13, 2006 12:05 am 
this is a bit off topic, but worth asking. I used to live in a place that was 10,000 + square feet and totally heated by two wood fired guns. spend much time splitting logs, but never cutting them due to the fact that I'd never been trained to use a chainsaw. So, here's the question: how can one get trained to use one of them? they are useful tools, but bloody dangerous to use. Do they have clinics on this? (and yes, I'm really showing the fact that I grew up in mid town manhattan and didn't have a driver's license till almost 30. thanks - David