Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Ken Duncan,"Australia Wide"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Apr 12, 2003 11:35 pm 
Have any photographers/photography lovers out there seen this book? Stunning! up.gif It's a 2002 collection of panoramic photographs of Australia by Aussie Ken Duncan. Sure, there's obligatory shots of famous places like Ayers Rock (Ulhuru) and the Twelve Apostles, but it's the ones of locations I wasn't familar with that just take your breath away. Makes you want to catch the next Quantas flight over there and hit the trails, that's for sure. Too bad they have so many of the world's most poisonous everything down under! If I hadn't seen the Australian Survivor show (remember? the last good one!), I wouldn't have recognized one awesome picture-the spot where the two groups were cliff-diving at one point. When you see the picture you'll know what I mean. Anywho, Amazon has it for $28 & free shipping ($40 list). I'd like to check out his other books sometime as well. About the only complaint I have is some shots sure seem to be on the over-saturated side as is the norm it seems these days. But only a minor quibble. up.gif smile.gif up.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Apr 13, 2003 12:07 am 
I haven't seen this one, but I have seen America Wide by the same photographer. It's a collection of panoramic photos of American landscapes. It has many of the standard obligatory shots like the Grand Canyon, but it also has one of the best photos of Monument Valley I've seen. He's an excellent photographer.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Apr 13, 2003 4:33 pm 
A link to his website: http://www.kenduncan.com/ He has a Monument Valley picture in the website, is that the one? While on the subject of photography, I can also recommend Pacific by David Doubilet (1992 Bulfinch Press). Fantastic underwater photography.

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSun Apr 13, 2003 4:45 pm 
That would be it. up.gif

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat May 31, 2003 5:36 pm 
MCaver wrote:
I haven't seen this one, but I have seen America Wide by the same photographer. It's a collection of panoramic photos of American landscapes. It has many of the standard obligatory shots like the Grand Canyon, but it also has one of the best photos of Monument Valley I've seen. He's an excellent photographer.
MCaver, I checked out America Wide from the library (I hate it when bookstores shrink-wrap books so you can't get your grubby fingers on them) and there are some great shots of some familiar objects- like Havasu Falls in the Grand Canyon. That's a major test when you can extract an exciting image from an oft-photographed thing. The photo of the broken fallen tree in our Hoh rainforest is a curious shot I wouldn't expect to get published- not one of his best IMO. Some of the best images in the book are of "ordinary" things like the interior of a country store and the grounds of an Antebellum mansion. I really like the way the wide format can create different image possibilities. I could look past his sermonizing and the God Bless America tone and enjoy his talent, and we do have a veritable storehouse of photo subjects awaiting us here, that's for sure! M&S

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostSat May 31, 2003 8:08 pm 
I don't think I've ever read the text that's put in most photographic publications, other than the captions. The photos should say it all, IMO. I just want to know where it was taken. biggrin.gif

photographerJim

photographerJim
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 12:34 am 
Art Wolfe has an exibit at the FRYE art museum here in seattle.... ITS FREE! check it out there are some AMAZING photos from every corner of the world.....

"Whoooo-Whoooo"
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 4:29 pm 
Yeah Art's good, but he seems to be specializing in wildlife now- I'm more of a landscapes kind of guy. I checked out Wolfe's gallery/store in the downtown REI when it first opened and that was the first time I had seen his work blown-up on a wall and that's always impressive. I do remember a picture of a mountain goat amongst the mountains of Banff that was pretty cool. David Muench and the late Galen Rowell are fave landscape photographers of mine. BTW- what's with the "Whoooo-Whoooo"? Do you like trains? confused.gif smile.gif

iconoclast

iconoclast
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 8:13 pm 
Have you been to Oz Moose? It does have lots of creepy crawlys but well worth the visit. I liked it so much I'm trying to convince my wife to move. My two fav aussie photograpers are Peter Lik http://www.peterlik.com/ and Peter Dobre http://www.petedobre.com.au/ I like Dobre more because he's self taught and lives right out in the bush of S.A. Check here for the wooooo woooooo http://homepage.mac.com/howheels/rubb.html Take a second and watch the video..

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Jun 01, 2003 9:18 pm 
iconoclast wrote:
Have you been to Oz Moose? It does have lots of creepy crawlys but well worth the visit. I liked it so much I'm trying to convince my wife to move. My two fav aussie photograpers are Peter Lik http://www.peterlik.com/ and Peter Dobre http://www.petedobre.com.au/ I like Dobre more because he's self taught and lives right out in the bush of S.A. Check here for the wooooo woooooo http://homepage.mac.com/howheels/rubb.html Take a second and watch the video..
Nope, haven't been to OZ- just seen the movie winksmile.gif . Maybe someday...Thanks for the links to the Aussie photogs. You had to have known I'm an old fossil if I had to ask about the whooo-whooo. Now I'm sorry I asked- you kids have fun with it up.gif

iconoclast

iconoclast
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 12:02 am 
Isn't that the most rediculous crap you've ever seen? I love it.......Anyhow if you ever want to know any hiking spots or any off beat destinations there just ask, I stayed extensively in South Australia and Queensland..just LMK.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 4:38 pm 
Tricking out my car isn't a high priority- I must have the only stock Civic out there. Maybe a whoooo-whoooo would make me one of the fellas. On second thought maybe I'll accessorize it with everything LED- I've heard that's REAL cool hurl.gif I knew a US couple who opened a shop in the Gold Coast back in the early 80's before it became the AUS Miami Beach. She couldn't wait to get out of there- apparently Aussie men were one step away from Neanderthal to her. Very chauvinistic and rude, not opening doors, etc. Maybe things have changed or she got it wrong- the ladies do seem to fall for that accent though smile.gif .

iconoclast

iconoclast
PostMon Jun 02, 2003 11:57 pm 
She has the men pegged there..For some reason they're not the best to their gals. I think we yanks have 2 things pulling for us there: 1, we've evolved past the women is always subservient mentality 2, we're a novelty. Mix that in with the fact that aussie gals are quit a bit more brazen than american birds and it seems like many of em' like you.( Bondi beach near downtown Sydney, and with commercial growth everywhere, is still topless) Overall the place is top notch though..even in cosmopolitan Sydney the ambiance is as if every day is friday, take it easy, etc. Are you really out in Minnesota? I'll be heading through Minneapolis later this month.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 5:47 pm 
iconoclast wrote:
Are you really out in Minnesota? I'll be heading through Minneapolis later this month.
Uuuhh, not up on the classic cartoons, I see, my friend iconoclast shakehead.gif . My toon alter egos are from Frostbite, I pray tell reside in Bellevue WA, U.S. of A. My first real introduction to the LDU (Land Down Under) was reading Bill Bryson's In a Sunburned Country- I really enjoyed it- he is tremendously funny and has fun with the country and its cliches but you can tell he loves the place just the same. My Mom(70) will be traveling to Aus & NZ in Oct- doing the tourist tourbus thing with a friend, it will be interesting to hear about it. Have a feeling if I ever make it to those locales my itinerary will be a tad different than hers, but what the hey biggrin.gif .

iconoclast

iconoclast
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 11:58 pm 
ah, Bellevue my second favorite city!..Your mom should have a hell of a time! October is mid to late spring and depending where she goes it'll be mighty warm..tell her to be wary of cracked out Aboriginies selling bunk boomerangs. I told em all I'd buy one if they could get it to come back..I came home with out a boomerang huh.gif