Forum Index > Trip Reports > Upper Dungeness River 6-4-03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jun 06, 2003 7:27 am 
What a great spring river hike! There are huge grassy meadows, moss gardens, giant trees, wide smooth trail, and little elevation gain. The pup and I made it about 4 1/2 miles in to a deserted meadow where the trail is fully grass-covered. The snow level was hardly visible even on the surrounding mountains. In mid to late June I am hoping to do a three day trip into Royal Basin, and it looks like it will be melted out enough by then. If you drive there, be sure to go the way that passes Dungeness Forks campground, the other way has a washout. I met a man coming down from Marmot pass who said he encountered an agressive black bear who wouldn't back off. He said he had to fire a gunshot over the bear's head to get it to let him pass. He seemed normal and generally believeable. (the man, not the bear).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jun 06, 2003 7:33 am 
How did Marmot Pass look? Did crazy man say anything else? That area up there is So pretty! So have you done Royal Basin yet? I did that last summer, it was just so gorgeous!! We did it in 2 days, I wish I'd had 3 or 4 days to just sit and soak it all in smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jun 06, 2003 8:18 am 
Sarbar, I didn't go to Marmot pass, just enough along that trail to get to the junction that takes you to the trail up the river. He was coming down the other fork from the pass. He actually was a totally normal looking and sounding person, kind of like the faceless neighbor on the TV show Home Improvement. He had a fly-fishing pole and a .38 in a holster on his hip. He said he carried it just because you never know who you will meet when alone in the woods. He had indeed, at least at some point, fired off a round. He let me handle the gun while still loaded. So much for protection from crazies if he lets me have the gun! I have never been to Royal Basin, but from descriptions in the books and comments like yours, I am itching to go there and spend a whole day there just absorbing the tranquility. I would need a whole day just to struggle up there, and a day to return, so three days would be a minimum for me. Luckily I have three days off in a row every week, two of them weekdays. Sweet! I have done 16 dayhikes and 3 overnighters already this year, so I am going to be in good shape for some longer trips starting in about three weeks. (Good shape for me means the ability to do 2- 3,000 ft in a day with full pack, resting one out of every four days). When I told Tanja that my dream is to hike the PCT in WA all at once (503 miles), she replied, "How will you get 100 days off in a row?". I figure I would add stamina as I went, so 90 days would be enough. Someday.... hihi.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jun 06, 2003 8:26 am 
Hehheh!! Love the spirit! Royal Basin is one of the top 3 places, I have seen in my life smile.gif The best is go up to the lake-the meadows right below are gorgeous, but keep going that last 1/2 mile HURTS SO BAD biggrin.gif the lake is really pretty but go around it (trail goes all the way around) and find the trail that leaves the lake, it drops down to another meadow-you can see the huge waterfall that starts Royal Creek, the trail wanders past the big overhanging rock with lots more camping sites (and way less bugs than the lake!! I got bit over 100 times!!!!) Then cross the footlog over a small creek and your on your way to the upper basin....yowza!!!! you will love this hike!! But be very forwarned--it is a quota area and there was I think at least 4 groups that showed up with NO permits and tried to take camping spots!! And the ranger up there was useless, with no spine. So if you can do it mid week I'd recomend it. Big PS:there are no privies up there, and people had done their business right next to the lake!!!! YUCK!!!!!!

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostFri Jun 06, 2003 8:43 am 
Slugman, I'm going to Royal Basin this coming weekend (6-14, 15) and I'll post a trip report for you when I return. I was last up there about 15 years ago and remember the rugged high peaks all around the lake as well as the playful marmots running around quite near the camp sites. And, yes I have made reservations with the WIC. Sarbar, any suggestions of how to handle the stealth hikers (Those without reservations) if there are no camp sites available? Other than finding a different spot?

God, I am going to regret this someday!
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jun 06, 2003 9:10 am 
Well, Robbieh threw a huge fit at the volunteer ranger winksmile.gif (she ranted at that guy good, till he got off his butt) and finally the guy pulled up his pants and tossed a couple groups out-and made them camp down in the lower meadows. Then the ranger hid in his tent the rest of the weekend-way up by the waterfall biggrin.gif Oh he was classy! I was talking to Dicentra and she knew who the ranger was..sigh!! Myopion on camping up there when I do it next:I won't camp on the lake! Even though it was very pretty, th campsites are above the lake in the tiny alpine trees and the mosquitoes will bite you alive! Next time I'd actually prefer staying on the other side of the lake with the marmots biggrin.gif They are exceptionally fat and lazy up there winksmile.gif The meadow before the lake is very pretty also, only thing is the water there is glacial fed, so is VERY milky! Oh yeah, and be forewarned of dayhikers with no experience on this trail-it shocked me actually, usually you don't see idiots in tennis shoes with no pack on a backcountry trail, especially after a VERY long drive in on FS rds, but we passed numerous groups who were staring at my water bottles a little too closely lol.gif Best of all: the zillion butterflies covering everything in the lower meadow. WOW!!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jun 06, 2003 8:07 pm 
Now you've done it! I am ACTUALLY itching to get up there right this minute! Hoosierdaddy, the trip report will be put to good use. I will try to plan this trip for June 22nd, 23rd and 24th. I encounter the same use pattern all the time, even at popular places like Spider Meadow: when I hike in on Sunday, I see plenty of dayhikers, and campers who are leaving. By nightfall, there is good to excellent solitude, and then Monday and Tuesday are lonesome indeed. I can only hope the pattern holds for this hike if I do it soon. And since it is in Olympic National Park, I will have to leave the dog home. This makes me happy, as otherwise I would feel semi-obligated to take the critter. She's great on dayhikes, but a small pain on overnighters or in crowded conditions. I relish the chances for total solitude and the absorption of nature. Thanks for all the info, gang!

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostSat Jun 07, 2003 10:01 am 
AARRGGHH!!! "Due to circumstances beyond my control...." I have to wait a couple more days until I do this hike. bawl.gif Don't you just hate it when after you have everything all planned out that things change? mad.gif Oh, well it might be for the better...instead of going with my 13 year old son, I'll now be going with my lovely wife. Just a different focus on what to do, I suppose. I had wanted to practice glissading and self arrest techniques with my son once we arrived at the camp site, however my wife isn't interested in getting soaking wet while sliding down 500' of hard snow. Go figure. huh.gif I guess we'll have to find something else to do with our time. wub.gif Anyway, I'll post the trip report after we return, probably on 6-19.

God, I am going to regret this someday!