Previous :: Next Topic
Tazz

Tazz
PostWed Nov 15, 2006 1:24 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
andrew e

andrew e
PostWed Nov 15, 2006 2:06 pm 
I've posted a report of my damage-scoping trip in the Skykomish area on WTA's Signpost blog. There's a pic of the bridge at Deception Falls, which amazingly, is still standing. The West Fork Foss River Trail to Trout, Copper, Big Heart Lake is toast, however. http://www.wta.org/~wta/cgi-bin/wtaweb.pl?4+blog+thread+ed+211

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 1:25 pm 
I'm especially devastated by the Index/NF Skykomish road. There are some terrific trails up that way, and even the road itself was such a joy to drive. And Tonga Ridge! are we actually going to have to EARN those views now? I'm in exile so I can't enjoy this stuff anyway nowadays, but it still makes me sad. Thanks everyone for the info and photos.

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 1:47 pm 
andrew e wrote:
I've posted a report of my damage-scoping trip in the Skykomish area on WTA's Signpost blog. There's a pic of the bridge at Deception Falls, which amazingly, is still standing. The West Fork Foss River Trail to Trout, Copper, Big Heart Lake is toast, however.
How much of the WF Foss River trail has been washed out, Andrew?

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 2:34 pm 
Foist wrote:
I'm especially devastated by the Index/NF Skykomish road. There are some terrific trails up that way, and even the road itself was such a joy to drive.
From what I remember last weekend, there were no washouts on Beckler Road, so you could make it to the Index-Galena washout (and all the other branch roads) if you could make it over the snow at Jack Pass. I don't know specifically about places like the Quartz Creek Road.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 4:32 pm 
Canuck wrote:
I apologize if this was already posted, I'm short on time and didn't search, but check out if you haven't already the slideshow put together by MRNP folks... Mt. Rainier damage
Agreed...truly amazing the extent of the damage within the Park.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
trout990

trout990
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 5:27 pm 
It sounds like a lot of roads and trails are out. How many do you think will get rebuilt, or maybe i should just ask how many wont get rebuilt? How long will it take for most of the trails and roads to be fixed, by next summer? by next year? in 5 years?

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 5:36 pm 
If they all get rebuilt, it'll have to be by an act of God. Hence, my answer: 7 days.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 5:37 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
If they all get rebuilt, it'll have to be by an act of God. Hence, my answer: 7 days.
Wouldn't that be 6 days, with the 7th day used to rest up from the rebuilding efforts?

Knows literally nothing
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 5:39 pm 
Actually only 6 days were productive work. Chalk the 7th day up to bureaucracy. Even God can't get those kind of building permits and waivers in less than 24 hours. hockeygrin.gif

andrew e

andrew e
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 6:20 pm 
Rich Baldwin wrote:
andrew e wrote:
I've posted a report of my damage-scoping trip in the Skykomish area on WTA's Signpost blog. There's a pic of the bridge at Deception Falls, which amazingly, is still standing. The West Fork Foss River Trail to Trout, Copper, Big Heart Lake is toast, however.
How much of the WF Foss River trail has been washed out, Andrew?
This was the first time in a long time I've hiked that trail, so I'm not totally familiar with it. The washout where the trail disappears is right about where it intersects the Foss River, I'd say about .5 miles in. I've seen pictures of a footbridge, and I'm not sure if that's where it formerly crossed, or if that's further up? I'm not familiar enough with the trail to know much more than that...but it was clear the trail dead ended at a big slump at the Foss River. If it's close to where the old bridge used to be (and there's no sign of a bridge) then it's possible a little bit of rerouting would do it. But again, I don't know what the condition is beyond. The trail before that is pretty eroded, but it's hikeable.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 7:33 pm 
Canuck wrote:
Mt. Rainier damage
S@#t. I guess this is the kinda stuff that made it what it was, and the kinda stuff that makes it what it will be. I was hoping to be there next week Poop

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostThu Nov 16, 2006 9:31 pm 
I was up near Index today wandering some roads and was expecting much more damage. I grew up on the Sky River east of Goldbar and that area had some minor flooding, but nothing like I've seen in past floods. The Index-Galena road was littered with downed trees and debris from yesterdays storm, but the normal flooding spots I expected to see were not there. I turned around at the Road Closed sign. I was planning to hike to the washed out area with my waders, but there wasn't much of a spot to park. Maybe I'll try and make it back up there tomorrow with my mtn bike and explore further. I'm curious to see how Garland Mineral Springs made out. I took the short hike to the river through the future Sky River park and was surprised to see both bridges in good shape. One quite low walkway was still there and it didn't look like much water flowed through this area. There were county crews with heavy equipment working on shoring up the bridge into Index. I took the Reiter-Index road and there are several spots in the town of Index where the water over flowed, but not much flooding. I took FS 6010 up to Deer Creek Flat to about 2500 ft. That road is in decent shape with some minor rutting in spots, but nothing that a car couldn't handle if you go slow. There were quite a few trees down across the road from the wind storm yesterday. All have been cut and cleared. I'm sure the 2 comm sites up there make this road a priority. What I saw was encouraging, so I'm holding out some hope that other areas weren't too damaged. Has anyone heard anything about the Miller River road?

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
David

David
PostFri Nov 17, 2006 11:28 am 
Very bad news regarding the middle fork road... according to a TR posted on the Goldmyer group on MSN, looks like the road is entirely gone at 20.5 miles in. This is the spot where the middle fork was already eating into the edge of the road. According to the reporter, about 100 yards are in the river at this point. Past this another 100 yards, about 1/4 of a mile of the road is totally gone - he wasn't clear on what he meant by gone, though. Not sure what the FS will do here. It is likely that there is mining equip and cars stuck up there... I know the mining caretaker keeps his car up there around mile 21, plus likely some hunters as well. wonder what will happen now....

andrew e

andrew e
PostFri Nov 17, 2006 12:24 pm 
Some amazing photos of damage to Highway 35 in Oregon, which leads to the Mount Hood ski area. That pic of boulders stacked on the bridge leaves me speechless.