Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pass Creek #1053/ N. Fork Skykomish #1051 6/9/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tibbdoo

Tibbdoo
PostMon Jun 09, 2003 11:24 am 
Hiked N Fork Skykomish/Pass Creek Trail Saturday. Skeeters at shared trailhead with West Cady Ridge and Quartz Creek almost induced blood loss pass out in group. Recommend parking at trailhead 1.5 miles up on dirt road from posted trailhead. Road is roughest at beginning and in better shape towards trailhead. Trail is in good shape and small - very small - patches of snow several miles in. Many creeks/rivers to cross. Log crossings are available several hundred yards from trail at each location. The last creek/river before the upclimb to the PCT was most difficult and we chose this as a turn around. One could wade through this (only on a 90 degree day like this!) Hike was well defined and very pretty. Not as many trees as one might find towards Mtn. Loop Highway area hikes. We saw one other hiker during the day. Anyone with any info on Quartz Creek and Dishpan Gap? Happy Hiking moon.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Gordy Comer

Gordy Comer
PostMon Jun 09, 2003 9:27 pm 
We hiked on the Quartz Creek trail Sunday. We were stopped about 3 miles in. A side creek crossed the trail, like a waterfall coming down a gulch, and there was too much water to get across. Even with tennis shoes to wade in, it would have been very chancy, given the heavy current. I've got an old Green Trails map that shows "ruins" at Curry Gap and I wanted to investigate. Maybe an abandoned gold mine. I saw insulators on trees on the way up. This trail is in very nice condition, plenty of needles to soften the tread, moderate elevation gain. We walked on some snow on the more open parts. I'm goin' back.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JayMar

JayMar
PostTue Jun 10, 2003 8:08 am 
Thanks for the information on Dishpan Gap- Quark and about Quartz Creek- Gordy. My Fiancee and I have made a promise to hit a trail one day of the weekend this year. We hope to eventually work our way into overnite trips - and accumulate the necessary gear. Knowing about the blowdown - we will wait a month and return to the area.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 2:17 am 
I know the crossing you mentioned. You must have gone in at least 4 miles from the upper trailhead. It is a real rock-hopper even at moderate water. Its a shame you had to stop there, at about 3,700 ft. If you could have gone on about 3/4 mile more, up to about 4,300 ft, you would have been in the most excellent huckleberry parkland around. There is still another 2 miles or so and some climbing to get to Dishpan Gap at 7 miles and 5,600 ft. I did the N. Fork Sky-Dishpan Gap-Pass Creek loop year before last. Last year I went up Cady Ridge to D. Gap. It is one of my favorite places. If you go to wta.org, you can look up trail reviews written by volunteers. Follow the links "Hiking Guide" and "Trail Guide". I wrote the one for the loop above. Look under "N" for North Fork....