Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Need Help from Java gurus
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 1:22 am 
I don't know diddly about Java. Yet here I am trying to get a java app to run in the browser on my machine when I'm offline. I think I have the correct version of java because when I use a web page which features the applet as an autoload when you load the page, it works. However they also have an option to download the app and use it either as a windows app or an IE application. They say if I use it as a standalone with no browser, I need the java runtime environment. That sounds like a pain in the butt since i have no interest in screwing with java whatsoever except for using this program. So I am trying to get it to run on Win Explorer. They provide a package with installer, and it sets everything up and unpacks an HTML page you merely open in IE, and supposedly then the applet runs even if you're not logged on, which is what I want. The problem is, I do so and it doesn't work. I go to read their page on using the java applet, and quickly get overwhelmed in jargon. I just want it to work! No surprise there, huh? Anyway, when I try and open the unpacked, local html file that appeared when it installed, IE shows a blank square where the app should be running, and I get the following message at the bottom.
Quote:
exception: com.ms.security.SecurityExceptionEx[MH/MHPPackageGlobals.setLocale]: java.io.IOException: Bad path: C\ProgramFiles\
Not knowing crap about Java, I take a look at the HTML file and see html> <head> <meta NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Martin Hepperle"> <meta HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" content="text/html"> <title>JavaFoil Page</title> </head> <body bgcolor="#FFFFD0"> <p align="center"> <applet name="JavaFoil" code="JavaFoil.class" archive="java\javafoil.zip,java\mhclasses.zip" width="800" height="600"> <param name="ToolbarColor" value="#ffffd0"> <!-- for test purposes, or if you don't like your default language <param name="Country" value="FRANCE"> --> </applet> </p> </body> </html> now it seems to me with a "bad path" exception, it should be simple, but the archive path shown looks correct to me because the path to the html file I'm trying to use is C:\Program Files\MH AeroTools\JavaFoil and the archive files listed in the HTNL are in C:\Program Files\MH AeroTools\JavaFoil\java I know it's practically impossible to tell what's going on here via a description like this, but any help would be appreciated. I don't want a micro tutoring class in java, or a discussion of what browsers are better or worse, or any of the usual dreck, I just need to have it run when I click on that HTML file! I want to be analyzing airfoils, not screwing with SW. If it helps and anyone gives a rip, here's what I'm trying to get to run. http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/javafoil.htm the pages "applet or application" have some details on the java stuff, more in "the applet". I'm running W98 and IE5

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 9:21 am 
I rechecked my typing (couldn't capture the message to the scratchpad) and realized I missed the ":" in the "c:\...." bit. Here the text. I don't see the space you are talking about, I must be blind.
Quote:
exception: com.ms.security.SecurityExceptionEx[MH/MHPPackageGlobals.setLocale]: java.io.IOException: Bad path: C:\ProgramFiles\

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 9:55 am 
If you can edit the applet source, you might change "Program Files" to "Progra~1", so Windows will use the old 8.3 means of finding files and directories. So applications have problems with spaces, and that should get around it.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 3:51 pm 
OK, I checked it again and the lack of a space is my bad, I mistyped it. There is indeed a space in the suggested location. I tried running it again and noticed I get an "applet initialized" message, before the violation one. Doesn't that mean it's running?