Tazz
PostSat Dec 30, 2006 12:27 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
comedown_ALIVE
Mountain Slayer

comedown_ALIVE
Mountain Slayer
PostSat Dec 30, 2006 2:02 am 
Check out Al Gore's movie "An Inconvenient Truth" for some VERY startling pics of Kilimanjaro, Glacier National Park, Mt. Rainier, and many other mtns glaciers that are rapidly melting do to global warming. mad.gif He shows pics of the glaciers from 1970 and then from 2005 and IT-IS-UN-BELEIVABLE eek.gif Also I’ve heard recently about this "Experimental Weather Modification" or Senate Bill 517/House Bill 2995 that is to be passed as soon as March 2007. These bill's that would allow experimental weather modification by artificial methods and implement a national weather modification policy that does not include agriculture or public oversight whatsoever! As far as I understand they have been "modifying" the weather in Wyoming since 2005 to try and bring up the snow pack. One speculation is that the modifications are what caused that huge storm that hit St. Louis a month ago. Supposedly they stopped the experiments and that caused the 2 huge storms that rocked Denver 2 weeks in a row. For more infromation go to www.californiaskywatch.com

When the power of love Over comes the love of power The world will know peace.
Andrew

Andrew
PostSat Dec 30, 2006 10:46 pm 
paranoid.gif That seems right along the lines with some of the conspiracy theorists who called at my internship last spring...'cept they thought the contrails were used as a protective cloak against the radars of foreign countries. huh.gif

touron

touron
PostSat Dec 30, 2006 11:44 pm 
I ordered an iced mocha today at Starbucks, and by the time they handed it to me the ice was all melted and it was extra hot. eek.gif eek.gif eek.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostFri Mar 30, 2007 8:20 pm 
breed glaciers in captivity!
Here is the solution to vanishing glaciers! It's in The Onion so it must be true. rotf.gif

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin
peltoms

peltoms
PostSun Apr 01, 2007 5:09 pm 
two unfortunate examples
Milk Lake Glacier already disappeared
Lewis Glacier already disappeared
We monitored the Lewis Glacier annually from 1984 until it disappeared in 1992. Milk Lake Glacier is nearly gone in this 1988 photo. Visiting the glacier in 1995, it was all the way gone. Unfortuantely after being confined to a tent for a 36 hour storm, in Pumic Creek basin, I forgot my camera when we headed over to the glaicer. Needless to say there has been no reason to go back to monitor the former glacier, now very nic alpine lake.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Apr 08, 2007 7:44 am 
Comparing the two "examples" above, I notice that being able to see a picture full-screen makes a huge difference in what you get from the picture. Is there any way that feature could be incorporated in an updated version of the Glacier Climate Project website? Informative as the website is, I find I'm beginning to be put off a little because of what I've come to expect from modern graphics. I didn't really notice what I was missing till we started getting pictures like your Milk Lake Glacier posted in this "Disappearing Glaciers" thread here on the forum.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
peltoms

peltoms
PostSun Apr 08, 2007 8:51 am 
53 lost
Good question, I hate to put you off scrooge. I am somewhat limited with teaching being my main job (5 classes a semester), and how much space the college will let me have. But I had not really thought about this issue too much, I will look into it. Feel free to send me an email with other suggestions. I welcome making improvements, at least after the semester is over, but sometimes hardly nowhere to start. On a second point I got a call from the Dept. of Ecology asking for a firm number on the number of glaciers that I can confirm have disappeared in the North Cascades. Using the USGS glacier inventory of 1971 based on 1950's and early 1960's maps and photographs, I could confirm that 53 of the 756 they listed no longer qualify as glaciers. There are more than that, I just have not observed them. Speaking of which I am looking for good pictures of the remaining tiny glaciers in the Enchantments.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSun Apr 08, 2007 12:56 pm 
As a footnote in his last post, Peltoms said
Quote:
I am looking for good pictures of the remaining tiny glaciers in the Enchantments.
Peltoms, I suggest that you start a new thread in "Trail Talk" to make your request. I'm afraid it won't get widely noticed as a closing note in "Stewardship". I do think that most of the people on the forum would be pleased to have you use their pictures, in either professional or popular media. As you're well aware, we have a bunch of remarkably good photographers here, most of whom are inclined to observe and photograph exactly the kind of detail you need.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Apr 17, 2007 9:25 pm 
As an update on Peltoms' Death of a Glacier report on the White Chuck Glacier, here are a couple of pics from 2006.
White Chuck Basin 2006
White Chuck Basin 2006
These are from the website of Leor Pantilat, who took the pics as a specific follow-up to Peltoms' work. Note the new lakes, which might as well be posted in the Fastest growing lake thread. agree.gif

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostWed Apr 18, 2007 2:31 pm 
Compare picture #1 above with this one I took almost 34 years ago.
3rd week of August 1973
3rd week of August 1973

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Apr 18, 2007 2:37 pm 
Great pic! That is how I remember it from the late 60's.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 18, 2007 2:39 pm 
Still looked like that well into the 80's frown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
peltoms

peltoms
PostThu Apr 19, 2007 2:05 pm 
Lyall Glacier-no more
Awesome lopper. I remember a beautiful ski all the way down what you show but 10 years later, sure beats the current route. Less of a visited locale is Lyall Glacier which has disappeared.