Forum Index > Support & Feedback > changing your name
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 5:23 pm 
I'm obviously not trying to go ultra-anonymous here, just decided it was time for me to stop using the name my momma gave me both here and over at the other place. Eventually people who don't know me might forget who I am, and new people just probably won't know. shakehead.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 5:44 pm 
I know I use an alias here and elsewhere. There are a couple of places where I post under my real name. It's Richard. I've never wanted to change from Richard in real life or where used on the internet. Newbie Newt is a tad different. It does reflect me and the hiking environment. May I ask what is wrong with using your real name? Looking for a different impression? I don't understand? Mary Lou will still come across as you, even with a new name. May I suggest that if you're getting a name change, you change avitar/s also. That will help give a more complete new look. Also, I'm not trying to start any trouble with this. Just wondering. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 5:59 pm 
Newbie, you never know who might be out there. Oh suuure, Laaarry uses his real name. It's no big deal for some people. Me, I'm a chicken.gif. And you thought my real name was Tom... ha.gif paranoid.gif guns.gif ninja.gif

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 6:38 pm 
I'll bet Tom uses his real name too!! NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jun 04, 2003 6:40 pm 
NN, It's mostly for security purposes. Also over at the other board I was recently mortified when the Design Director of a pack company based in Colorado asked me if I was the "XXXX" from cc.com. It's not what I have said that is mortifying, but certainly others on that board have said some things I'd rather not have associated with my real name. The global change that switches XXXX to marylou wherever it posts, well, that was not by my request, and if it can be turned off that is just fine with me. I just wanted to change my screen name.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 7:23 am 
Well, I thought the global effects were a hoot. Now the post where I sounded like a lunatic is normal-ish again. I will always remember the spooky feeling of something unexplainable happening. I still wonder how the software knew which marylous to turn back to allisons. By the way, marylou, what are "the other board" and "cc.com'?

Larry

Larry
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 9:22 am 
You know...maybe I DO need to get away from my real name. I can see the possible security things, even though there are lots of Larrys around. I have no idea what to use though. Does this mean I have to think?

Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 11:07 am 
The person with no name is the safe person. People out on the internet are gonna gitcha. I'm tellin' ya this because I've had at least 20 or 30 people after me in the last couple days. That's why I always carry my Colt 45. Packin' heat while on the internet will keep ya safe. cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 11:09 am 
Slugman wrote:
By the way, marylou, what are "the other board" and "cc.com'?
The other board would be cascadeclimbers.com. Make sure you introduce yourself in with a big "howdy" embarassedlaugh.gif and let 'em know maylou referred ya. winksmile.gif

pale horse, pale rider

pale horse, pale rider
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 6:49 pm 
Well, I've been through the desert on a horse with no name, or so it claimed, and now I'm beginning to think the horse posted on this board. I know it's not like the horse forgot its name because in the desert you can remember your name 'cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain La, la , la, la la la la lol.gif pale rider, one day sale rider, tuesday only at the Bon Marche lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jun 06, 2003 6:32 am 
Thanks for the link, Tom. It's a nice site but I wouldn't want to live there. None of my last 64 hikes stretching back 15 months included any mountain tops at all, not even easy hike-up peaks. I would feel like a fraud to join that board. I do have plans to summit Mt Muller in the Olympics at a whopping 4,000 ft! I could never be a climber due to my lousy strength-to-weight ratio. I am strong, but would need to lose 100 lbs or so. (Only a slight exaggeration). I still like to read about the exploits of the more able and daring among us.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Jun 12, 2003 8:32 pm 
OMI-GOD!!!! TOM, please tell us your tom ......don't say your not tom / tom is good tom is allways right tom is our guide..... THIS WHOLE THING IS FREAKING ME OUT!!!!! paranoid.gif me? I will allways be the gnome biggrin.gif