Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Storm King: 12/30/06
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Jan 01, 2007 10:50 pm 
Mt Storm King: 12/30/06 As the last hurrah for 2006, JeffR and I reloaded Mt Storm King, this time with the unsuppressable PaulK. Our first attempt last February was via the west route, starting at Lake Crescent. This time, we chose the more direct north route. We arrived at Lake Sutherland and FR 3050 shortly after 8:00 AM. We fought through a series of downfalls until the size and quantity of the wind damage became too much. On foot now, we followed 3050 to a right fork, which we took westward to about 1400 ft el. From there, we went left, south and up a logging spur, taking it to about 1700 ft el.
At this point, we left the road behind and bushwhacked our way up the slope. Between 2500 ft and 3000 ft el, we found ourselves in quite steep terrain. We needed to be a little further east, where the optimal gully was located.
Steep & Snowy
Steep & Snowy
Nonetheless, we persevered, taking advantage of the copious vegetable belay, steadily pushing for the east ridge. As expected, the snow depth steadily increased the higher we went. At the ridge, we had to travel westward a short distance before our destination came into sight.
Storm King Summit
Storm King Summit
It was necessary to drop down a step before the summit pyramid. Fortunately, the scramble to the top looked much worse than it actually was (class 3 with snow). Summit gained by 1:40 PM.
Summit Scramble
Summit Scramble
More Pillow Lava
More Pillow Lava
Summit Push
Summit Push
Crescent Lake From Summit
Crescent Lake From Summit
Cascade Range
Cascade Range
We only spent about 20 minutes on top, as we were determined to exit the mountain in daylight. Despite the increasingly overcast conditions, we had very nice views 360º. By 2:00 PM, we began our descent.
Tracks
Tracks
We made excellent time on the way down. We did have some more fun in the green belay zone, however. We made it back to the car by 5:10 PM, sans headlamps. Safe and dry, PaulK produced his secret ingredient for the trip - Storm King Stout! Mighty fine brew. We celebrated the successful ascent with a Mexican dinner at Sergio's Hacienda in Port Angeles. Great trip, and a great way to end 2006!
Storm King Stout
Storm King Stout

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Jan 01, 2007 11:00 pm 
Like the pictures Mark. I'll have to add this one to the winter list.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Jan 01, 2007 11:17 pm 
Nice work fellas..looks like you were going through some avalanche debris in "steep and snowy". smile.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Jan 01, 2007 11:31 pm 
Hi AB: Snow conditions were good, didn't notice any real sloughing. The steep stuff is too steep to accumulate much, and where it did pile up (over my knees a couple times) it was well protected.

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Jan 01, 2007 11:32 pm 
I have been waiting for this. A little birdy told me you guys did it. winksmile.gif Great stuff!! up.gif

Oren
Grampa Murphy

Oren
Grampa Murphy
PostTue Jan 02, 2007 7:43 am 
Great job and pics guys. It was nice to have a little break in the weather in which I see the three of you took advantage. up.gif

Long since I've been amongst majestic peaks nor side mirrored lakes where awe so speaks. Blanketed valleys the dawn awakes and blinking stars to fade. My soul is called to see these things, the Hand of God has made.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jan 02, 2007 10:31 am 
As usual outstanding work and eye candy. agree.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
Trevor

Trevor
PostTue Jan 02, 2007 8:00 pm 
I am going to be the first to manufacture a beer respective to each peak in the cascades, and they'll be sold by a vendor at each respective summit.

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostTue Jan 02, 2007 10:36 pm 
I think "Rainier" is taken, Trev. smile.gif How about "Glacier Peak Pale"? Paul created a Mt Storm King page on Summitpost (here): http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/255816/mount-storm-king.html And our route (here): http://www.summitpost.org/route/255818/north-and-east-routes.html

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark