Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wallace Falls - Hwy 2 - 01-06-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Jan 07, 2007 10:19 pm 
This was my third hike for today. I started out with the Heybrook Lookout trail, followed by a trip to Bridal Veil Falls via the Lake Serene Trail and concluded the day with a quick trip to Wallace Falls. I arrived right around 3:00pm and was on the trail by 3:05. The park closes at 'dusk', so I wanted to be back to the car by 5:00 at the latest to make sure I wasn't locked into the parking lot. Sunset was scheduled for about 4:40 or so... should be plenty of time for a 4.2 mile hike. This was a very pleasant trail, once you have the powerlines behind you.
Wallace Falls State Park
Wallace Falls State Park
Being in a time crunch I was really rushed and passed quite a few photo opps. One waterfall off on the left of the trail did catch my eye, so when I spied a spur trail in that direction there was no way I could avoid it. Glad I took the time to stop - this was an interpretive trail developed as part of an Eagle Scout project. Simply superb.
Wallace Falls State Park
Wallace Falls State Park
Continued along the river trail (the "Woody" Trail) as quickly as possible, briefly enjoying the North Fork Wallace River crossing and the lower falls (with picnic area including a severely sloping picnic table bench) trying to reach the upper falls before my 4:00 turnaround time. At 3:57pm I reached the middle falls. The middle falls is the section you can see from Hwy 2 (so I heard).
Wallace Falls State Park
Wallace Falls State Park
No time to set up the tripod.. just a couple photos before the batteries died and I had to huff it back to the car. Nice trail... but watch the kids closely.
Wallace Falls State Park
Wallace Falls State Park
Parking Lot to Middle Falls is reported to be 2.1 miles each way, my Topo map indicates about 2.6 and about 1,570 feet elevation gain. There is an alternative to the 'Woody' Trail: the 'Railroad Grade Route' adds an additional mile, making for a softer elevation gain. I didn't have the time to explore this trail today. Anyway, it was a great day on the trails. All three trips together amounted to just over 11 miles and almost 3,700 feet of elevation gain. ~Elvis

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message