Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Jury Duty Rant
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
touron

touron
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 7:59 pm 
And yet minimum wage is less than jury wage! Where is the justice? uhh.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 8:05 pm 
As a fellow show biz type, I have gotten out of both County and City Jury Duty by being honest about not having PTO and not being able to afford to take time off during the busy season. Worked both times, best of luck.*** ***I would LOVE to serve if I ever have a job that allowed me to take the time off, so don't get the idea that I'm encouraging people to shirk civic duties, it's just that we all don't get PTO and at the wrong time of year, taking time off can cost thousands.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 8:55 pm 
If you go jabbering about how the voices are telling you to clean all the guns, or something, they might dismiss you.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
gyngve

gyngve
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 9:09 pm 
touron wrote:
jury wage is per day, not per hour

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 9:16 pm 
Opus wrote:
MtnDog, that does sound interesting. Does that violate the "jury of one's peers" right though?
Those who serve on professional jury panels can be employed and trained from a fair cross-section of society. That would ensure a jury of one's peers so to speak. But if that didn't suffice then it may require a constitutional amendment. I suppose the Supreme Court would have to rule on it first if it is tried.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 9:52 pm 
I was in last week. I was in the first group called. #25. I thought I would never make it, but I actually was on the way to the box when the defense attorney excused me. The next guy was the thirteenth juror. I was really suprised. I found myself wanting the guy to get a fair trial. When I walked in I assumed he was guilty, and was ready to convict.
ActionBetty wrote:
I dont have alot of love for the system for many reasons. They would never let me serve on jury duty after I got done telling them what I thought of the justice system. I would make myself so impossible to deal with..no one would want me back in there presence
Yeah we had a lady like that. The longer the questioning went, the angrier she got. Her profession was masseuse. I felt zero healing vibes coming from her direction.

Canuck

Canuck
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 10:00 pm 
I've got a great trick that has gotten me out of jury duty within seconds the three times I've been called up. I'm a Canadian citizen. I guess they send out the notices by using drivers' license numbers?? Anyway, finally after my 3rd time responding & telling them I was Canadian & giving them my green card number, they finally left me alone. I haven't gotten a notice in probably 10 years now. up.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 10:12 pm 
I've always wanted to serve on jury duty. I've been an adult since 1979, and but I've only been called to jury duty twice. That wierd, or what? And I want to serve! I finally got called several years ago; had to be excused due to work (public accounting, the trial was in March. Bad timing). Had to wait a few more years to get called again. This time I went. I made it to the jury selection process, and answered several questions. I was desirable to the defense, but not the prosecutor (I don't feel like going into why. That's a whole nother story). Anyway, I got struck for no cause, but it was pretty interesting to that point. I wish I had been struck for cause, at least that would be cool, but to be struck for no reason - just because the attorney has a few strikes to burn - that's no fun. Before the selection process, I spent a day in the "tank" with dozens of other potential jurors. I struck up a conversation with a very nice looking man; he had holes in the elbows of his shirt, his pants were frayed, the book he was reading was an old paperback, nearly in pieces, but he was there doing his part. He was a medical student, and very very nice. We went out to lunch and had a great time - we had the same sense of humor. I drove him home, and he asked me out for a beer. I had to decline, as I had to get to school and study for a math test (may as well have gone out for the beer). I was stupid and thought it was upon him to suggest another time for a beer; and I let it go. To this day, I think of that nice looking man, and feel bad for not suggesting another time for a brewski. I probably failed the flippin' math test anyway. But that's not my point. Waitaminute - maybe it is....well, I guess there is no point. Carry on.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
GeoTom

GeoTom
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 10:17 pm 
Quark wrote:
I've been an adult since 1979
That's not what I've heard.

Knows literally nothing
Damian

Damian
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 10:18 pm 
Man you sure blew that one Quark lol.gif lol.gif OOps. Sorry. How sad.

Rob Jordan

Rob Jordan
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 10:47 pm 
I was called in for Seattle municipal court a few months ago. They make it really hard to be excused, but they make it really easy to reschedule for pretty much whatever week you want (you have to give them 3 choices.) It was pretty boring, though the municipal court waiting room is pretty nice. Free computers and wi-fi, tv and movies (you could bring your own movies as long as they weren't "offensive" though no one ever did), rooftop terrace, etc. I got called for a pool on the second day. They pick 15 people for 6 spots. Of course I was chosen as prospective #1 so I thought for sure I would be on the jury. Practically every question went something like, "Who thinks blah, blah?"--dead silence--"Ok, #1 let's start with you." Whatever, the defense kicked me off without cause. I didn't even get to use my get out of jury duty free comment: "Why would the police arrest someone who isn't guilty?" I always joked with people that that's what I would say, and someone in the pool actually said more or less just that.

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe

Solo Steve
Harry Mudd wannabe
PostMon Jan 08, 2007 11:24 pm 
Mtn Dog wrote:
... I also would like to see the judicial branch of this country move toward professional jury panels who are trained and paid to hear evidence and decide on cases as their regular job. Calling in citizens relies too much on emotional factors, personal schedules, and takes too long to educate each of us in forensics just so a trial can proceed and justice can be served. ... ... Those who serve on professional jury panels can be employed and trained from a fair cross-section of society. That would ensure a jury of one's peers so to speak. But if that didn't suffice then it may require a constitutional amendment. I suppose the Supreme Court would have to rule on it first if it is tried.
Dude, are you joking? I feel like you're close to suggesting a new "-ism" or "-ocracy". I don't have the numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if 95% of all trial matters never get to the jury stage. There are all manner of remedies available without the expense of a jury trial -- administrative law judges, court commissioners, alternative dispute resolution, plea bargains, etc. Those other 5% are there for a reason! At the end of the day, someone is gonna give up some money or some personal freedom. How could a "professional juror" remain impartial? IMO, you can't tie someone's freedom to someone else's paycheck without calling into question the impartiality of the juror. If More Cowbell gets picked for a jury and hears it through to a verdict, she and 11 others will have made their decisions based on how well each side presents their case -- period -- not based on the expectation of clocking out at the end of the day and coming back to do it all over the next.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 12:07 am 
Italian Stallion wrote:
How much freelance music can you play during regular working hours? Don't you work when folks have time to listen, like at night?
Nope. I teach many private students for the bulk of my income. They come between 1-8 pm on weekdays and are often unable to reschedule any cancellations. Boy this thread went wild in my absence. I'll let you all know what happens.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
touron

touron
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 12:36 am 
gyngve wrote:
touron wrote:
jury wage is per day, not per hour
Thanks for the correction. I guess that tips the scales the other direction. I've been called once but didnt' serve. They probably already had enough tourons on that jury that day. The surprise of my jury experience was recognizing the bailiff as a former neighbor.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Toonces
unleashed

Toonces
unleashed
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 12:55 am 
This comment is not directed at anyone in particular, and certainly not the original poster, but . . . I cannot help but comment on the fact that there are concurrent threads today on: 1) tracking down a hit-and-run driver and making sure he or she is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law, and 2) how to get out of jury duty. w00t! dizzy.gif

If you show fear, a monkey will bully you.