Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 5:19 pm 
gyngve wrote:
Justan wrote:
Based on this too quick analysis, I’d say much higher compensation, say a not entirely arbitrary number of $300 per day including meals, would be enough to solve many of the hardship issues.
holy crap!!! that's $45 an hour!!!
Yep, that's what I make teaching my private lessons but I don't work a 40 hour week by any means.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Justan

Justan
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 5:22 pm 
My compensation estimate was an based on compensation at the level of many professions. Folk in that pay range and above are probably the biggest group of folks who never see jury duty due to the hardship that losing that much income imposes. For folk who make less, then it does serve to make jury duty a privilege of sorts.

-Justan Elk
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 7:15 pm 
Thanks for the post!....last night I happened by and BRAIN FART. The wheels started spinning and a light went on. I had received a Jury Summons back in late Nov. Cool, I was looking forward to serving on a trial, but being gone so much I totally spaced. Well, the summons went in my mail junk in my car and when I saw this post I had a flashback!......I was suppose to serve jury duty starting Jan 2. Guess I missed it huh. Wondering if the I'd be in deep doo doo I did a search on Google and read that it varied by state. Bench warrant for your arrest to a fine, to nothing. Hmmm, best advice was to call the jury management person and plead forgiveness. I did that this morn. and when she checked she told me my group had been discharged and I had nothing to worry about. I then asked her what would have happened if I had ignored the summons. She said that I would have been rescheduled at a later date. Doesn't sound too severe. I've only been summoned one other time and the company I worked for payed my time off, so I was disappointed to be discharged after 2 days. I was looking forward to this time and maybe getting on a trial. Oh well, maybe next time.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 9:28 pm 
Solo Steve - Fair enough. I'll gladly chat with you on the trail and we'll have to find one to hike again soon! Justan - I like your approach. We'd get better juries with better compensation but it certainly doesn't have to become a full time profession. And while the court may accomplish justice by having lawyers explain things in simple terms it never seems to work for me at my office!

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 10:09 pm 
I doubt you could get into trouble for not showing up for jury duty. No way they can prove you got the summons in the mail. They expect a certain % of no shows and I doubt they go after anyone. I participated a few years ago and it was a fun experience. A month or so later I got summoned again. huh.gif I completely forgot about it and never got anything in the mail or another summons.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 10:43 pm 
Geo was supposed to serve the same day as I was. We could have both been booted of the jury! They asked everyone to say their name, where you live, occupation, recreation, and previous jury duty. Two 50 something guys said they loved to hike! I never saw them again to ask for their avatars... confused.gif

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostTue Jan 09, 2007 11:12 pm 
Tom, if you are summoned and report to jury duty for any jurisdiction you are not expected to serve again for at least one calendar year. If you are summoned again you can explain that you just recently served and you will be automatically excused. The one exception to this may be federal court; I know it's the policy at King County district and superior courts.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 2:45 am 
The really weird thing about jury duty is that the names they summon are off of the voter rolls.....

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Aussie

Aussie
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 7:55 am 
I received a summons about 4 years ago - I'm not a citizen, which is one of their criteria, (obviously they don't check the INS database), and also not entitled to vote in this country.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 8:23 am 
ML, they pull names from the WA ID and drivers license database also. I think that is relatively new.

Justan

Justan
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 8:58 am 
gyngve wrote:
Justan wrote:
Based on this too quick analysis, I’d say much higher compensation, say a not entirely arbitrary number of $300 per day including meals, would be enough to solve many of the hardship issues.
Uhhh i don't know the amount of time required for a work day in jury duty. My thought was it was probably 8 hours, which is a typical work day. So $300 / 8 = 37.5 per hour and not $45. . .

-Justan Elk
gyngve

gyngve
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 9:20 am 
Justan wrote:
gyngve wrote:
Justan wrote:
Uhhh i don't know the amount of time required for a work day in jury duty. My thought was it was probably 8 hours, which is a typical work day. So $300 / 8 = 37.5 per hour and not $45. . .
close enough. still a buttload of money. more than a teacher makes, eh?

gyngve

gyngve
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 12:15 pm 
Justan wrote:
The question is outside of the scope of the conversation beyond the issue of reasonable compensation. Folks in the military are fairly compensated. Folks in jury duty are not.
I'm not talking about voluntarily joining. I'm talking about conscription. Da Draft. I don't think there's any fair compensation for being asked to part from your career, family, etc. and risk life and limb. And as I said before, I think arguing about jury compensation is frivolous when the govt has the power to draft.

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer

GlacierGlider
Trail Blazer
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 3:01 pm 
Enough already its going to turn into a political thread at this rate... They don't pay enough for jury duty so you are better off not getting called...if you do and you leave work...then hopefully you get dismissed and can use the rest of the day to go hiking...since you would already be off work...for me, my company pays me my full wage if I get called for jury duty...so bring it on....

"Those who go up the mountain must come down....except me" AKA spylunker...."See you at the top"
Guiran

Guiran
PostWed Jan 10, 2007 6:48 pm 
I have to serve early in May. Lucky me.