Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostThu Jun 12, 2003 3:23 pm 
forest gnome wrote:
or maybee they will start listening to all the user groups/public input
Fat chance NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jun 12, 2003 4:53 pm 
Quote:
Read his other posts about the role of the federal government. Helping people isn't there.
Helping them with law enforcement, defense, and other such items, is there. Helping them with their personal situations, such as you find applicable, is your job as you see fit. Whacking the Endowment for the arts, or the huge sucking sound that is NPR, would provide more than enough money from IMO non mandated uses to fund trail maintainance on federal lands, which is arguably mandated.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSun Jun 15, 2003 11:23 pm 
I would like to see the forest pass go the way of the Edsel. No fees for primitive recreation on city, county, state, and USFS/BLM land. By primitive recreation, I mean walking, strolling, skipping, whistling, picnicing, hiking, and throwing a frisbee. This provides a much needed modicum of basic recreation for the citizens which benefits society as a whole. We all know there is alot of congressional pork and it looks like there are some dollars flowing into our state for legitimate purposes, and a few of these dollars being directed towards trails wouldn't hurt things.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dante

Dante
PostMon Jun 16, 2003 10:46 am 
the lykkens wrote:
Who's running this circus?
The American Recreation Coalition may not be running it, but they've had a lot to do with getting us where we are. LINK "This is the group that started the whole "Pay-Us-for-Using-Your-Own-Land" issue. Representing the recreation industry, they are trying to drive public policy toward a "pay to play" system. Ultimately, this system could be used to restrict access to most public lands, except on developed properties managed by ARC members. It's membership consists of snowmobile, jetski, and RV manufacturers, oil companies, ski associations, campgrounds, and Disney. Of special interest is their spin-off Recreation Roundtable consisting of recreation industry and media industry CEO's. The ARC and the Recreation Roundtable helped design and implement the Adventure Pass. To get a more detailed look at the ARC's agenda, read an interview with the ARC's President conducted by a reporter for Motor Home Magazine, the journal of the Good Sam Club (a sustaining member of the ARC)."

Dante

Dante
PostMon Jun 16, 2003 11:11 am 
FYI I did some research on this a while ago when a member of these forums got a ticket. The law and regulations extablishing the fee system define the violation as failure to pay. The violation is NOT failure to display the permit. If you get ticketed, remember (1) government has the burden of proof and (2) you don't have to testify against yourself. Just get a copy of the regs defining the violation, give it to the Magistrate, tell him or her you understand the government has to prove you did not pay and then shut up. As a practical matter it will be difficult or impossible for the government to prove to the Magistrate's satisfaction that you did not pay the fee. Last time I checked people were winning cases this way and the Federal Magistrates responsible for hearing these cases were throwing them out left and right . . . I guess it's natural for ARC members to try to make a profit from our use of public lands if they can. It's also natural for us to not use parling lots if we can park for free down the road (I'm going hiking--what's another 1/4 or 1/2 mile?). I'm with Mountain Goat on this one. Don't feed the bears. They'll only want more.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jun 16, 2003 8:07 pm 
Lykkens-Are you talking about Ollalie STATE park-where the Twin Falls trail is? Its not a NATIONAL park, thus your national park pass doesn't work there.

kiliki

kiliki
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 2:33 pm 
All of the recent articles in the media about the condition of Nat. Parks, job outsourcing, etc., must have spurred many constituents to write their representitives. 111 congressmen, all democrats, just sent a letter to the DOI and to the Office of Management and Budget protesting cutbacks in the park service budget and the recent decision to spend millions of NPS dollars that could be used for repairs, maintenence and jobs to study outsourcing. So people's protests/letters can make an impact!