Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tradition Lake at Tiger Mountain 2/9/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Feb 09, 2007 11:15 pm 
6 moms and 8 children were along on our hike today. Lighthiker was one of the moms who came. The children ranged in age from 4 years to 9 months. Most of the little ones walked, and did really well the whole trip. As we were driving there, there was misty rain, but then, what was that --- sun??!! The temps were mild and we were fortunate to avoid any rain showers. We took the trail around Tradition Lake, stopping at the benches at the west end of the lake. We had a good lunch and rest there. The babies played with sticks and fir needles, and the big kids played with sticks, too. Then we continued our walk around the lake, ending on the road that goes under the power lines. The highlight of the day for me was seeing a bald eagle circling above the lake, then landing in a tree on the south side of the lake where another eagle was waiting. They were chattering at each other, and their plumage stood out against the green forest background. What a treat! I think the trip was less than two miles, but the kids were tuckered out at the end. The little walkers got pretty distracted by the puddles and rocks on the power line road. I was pleased that Annika did great in the pack, even taking a good nap after lunch. This was the longest she’d been in the pack, and I was hoping she would do well, so we can do lots of trips this summer. The moms were all grateful for the trip, and we’ll be planning another one in a week or two.
Hiker Baby in the pack.
Hiker Baby in the pack.
Playing with sticks.
Playing with sticks.
Gabriel and Annika at Tradition Lake.
Gabriel and Annika at Tradition Lake.
Fuzzy picture of a blad eagle over Tradition Lake
Fuzzy picture of a blad eagle over Tradition Lake

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Feb 09, 2007 11:16 pm 
Sorry the photos aren't rotated; I thought I took care of that but it didin't seem to work. shakehead.gif I'll try to figure it out tomorrow.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSat Feb 10, 2007 8:59 pm 
So cute agree.gif ! Those kids are so lucky (and Moms too!). I wish I had started hiking at that age (but there aint no mountains in Philadelphia shakehead.gif )

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Feb 12, 2007 11:31 am 
I wish I could have gone!! Sounds like you had a good turnout. agree.gif Annika is getting huge! Where did you get that cute snowsuit thing? I promise I'll get out more this summer. smile.gif The group got kind of inactive b/c of the weather (and my laziness?)

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Feb 12, 2007 12:02 pm 
Hi Dicentra, Don't wait till summer to get out!! Even though skies are grey, it is still a great time to hike. I almost always gamble on the weather, and am almost never disappointed. Even if there are some showers, with the right clothes, you can still have fun. Kids don't care if it's cold and grey as long as they are snuggly and warm and you don't stay out beyond their time limits. Last Friday Gabriel commented on how peaceful it was there and how beautiful and green everything was, and how fresh everything smelled. The snowsuit Annika is wearing is from REI. It's the REI brand, and it is excellent. Tough, waterproof outer fabric and snuggly fleece liner. They also have these seams you can un-do to get another inch out of the legs and arms. up.gif I believe they are on sale now at REI. They have this brand in the baby and toddler sizes. I'm going to try to get another hike together for next Monday - do you get it off? I'll post in the next day or two. It would be good to see you again. wink.gif

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Feb 12, 2007 12:06 pm 
I'm going backpacking this weekend!!! biggrin.gif No, the Madster isn't coming, but I'm excited to be going! Monday doesn't work... I'll be changing jobs soon, so I'll be available on weekends... How about Wed or Thurs of next week for a day hike? smile.gif