Forum Index > Trip Reports > Surprise and Glacier Lakes 2-10-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
dacker
little black dots

dacker
little black dots
PostSat Feb 10, 2007 11:18 pm 
Team: Carol (silly_traveler), Taehee (Dacker's spousal unit) and Rick (Dacker) Stats: RT mileage ~10 miles; elevation gain ~2800 ft. Carol and Taehee have been hearing about each other for a couple of months now, but every time they had plans to get out together something interfered. Today they finally found out they were real people and not just legends. cool.gif The weather forecast for the day had gone from good to bad to abysmal within a day, then bounced back to marginal, so we decided to go for it. And it is good that we did. The marginal day that was forecast turned out to be really nice: mild and almost sunny, without a hint of precipitation. up.gif We arrived at the trailhead for the Surprise Creek trail a little before 9:00 to find the parking lot a sheet of very slippery ice, so we started out wearing crampons. Although we soon realized we would not need them on the trail, we left them on until enough post holes convinced us we needed to switch to snowshoes, which we did, and they were left on for the rest of the hike. For the first couple miles, the trail ascends through a lovely old-growth forest, then breaks out into the open to cross the bottoms of several avalanche slopes, all of which were littered with debris from big slides that came down during the period of high avy activity about 3 weeks ago. Most of the slides had stopped just short of the trail. Today there was no new snow, the old snow was well-consolidated, and the avy threat was just about totally absent. But from what we saw, it is no place to be during periods of high activity. eek.gif We broke out our ice axes for the exposed and strenuous climb up the headwall of the valley to the lake basin. Soon we came to Surprise Lake, where we met a couple guys hauling snowboards. Where they planned to ride up there, given that all the open slopes were covered with big chunks of avy debris, we had no idea. They planned to camp at Glacier Lake. After ascending a ridge leading to the upper lake basin and Glacier Lake, we got a rude surprise. The temperature had been mild and comfortable all day, but coming down from Surprise Gap and blowing across the open space of the lake was an artic blast of epic proportions. This puppy was COLD!! So we huddled in the shelter of some big trees to eat our lunch rather than shiver in the bitter wind out on the lake shore. We sure didn’t envy those guys planning to camp there! The hike back out went quickly and without any incidents, even when we jumped a broken snow bridge in our snowshoes on one of the creek crossings. We stopped in Sultan for some very good hot chocolate at a place called (I think?) Vacaccio’s. (edit: OK, Vinaccio's!) On a day that was forecast to be a washout, this was a real gift. biggrin.gif OK, I know you would rather look at the pictures, so I’ll shut up and get to some of mine. Carol will post hers shortly. Cast of Characters:
Carol and Taehee
Carol and Taehee
Rick
Rick
On the Trail:
Old growth forest on the lower trail
Old growth forest on the lower trail
Everyone probably takes this shot!
Everyone probably takes this shot!
Creek crossing
Creek crossing
One of many, many old avalanches
One of many, many old avalanches
Thunder Mountain
Thunder Mountain
Nearing Surprise Lake
Nearing Surprise Lake
Surprise Lake
Surprise Lake
Approaching Glacier Lake with Surprise Mountain
Approaching Glacier Lake with Surprise Mountain
Glacier Lake from our sheltered lunchroom
Glacier Lake from our sheltered lunchroom
Descending the headwall
Descending the headwall
View down-valley from the headwall
View down-valley from the headwall
Bottom of the headwall
Bottom of the headwall
A couple interesting snow carvings, courtesy of Surprise Creek:

We don't stop hiking because we grow old; we grow old because we stop hiking. --Finis Mitchell
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSun Feb 11, 2007 12:16 am 
I got the idea of Surprise/Glacier from dicey's report from a couple of weeks ago. And it was a great snowshoe up.gif Thanks for writing the TR dicey hockeygrin.gif Nice TR Dacker smile.gif It was a great trip agree.gif I finally met Taehee, and she's awesome up.gif Glacier Lake is pretty in the winter time agree.gif The rock wall behind the lake is beautiful with all the snow patches all over it up.gif Now I want to get up to Surprise Mountain in the summer and look down on the lake, must be really nice hmmm.gif It's Vinaccio's Coffee (I think). Trail Pair introduced me to that place a month ago and I've been doing business with them ever since up.gif They sure got some yummie gourmet hot chocolate coffee.gif
bumps
bumps
avy debris
avy debris
view along the way
view along the way
surprise lake
surprise lake
almost glacier lake
almost glacier lake
glacier lake
glacier lake
glacier lake
glacier lake
jake at glacier
jake at glacier
dacker and taehee at surprise lake
dacker and taehee at surprise lake
there was sun!
there was sun!
more bumps
more bumps

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostSun Feb 11, 2007 12:32 am 
Great TR guys! up.gif up.gif up.gif I REALLY Love those photo's, especially of Surprise Creek and the way it cuts through the snow....I always enjoy seeing creeks do that... agree.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostSun Feb 11, 2007 3:09 am 
Nice TR. I helped to get Silly hooked up with a set of snowshoes this winter, and I'm glad to see they are getting a workout. Almost makes me want to get out there and 'shoe on my own. Almost.....

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Feb 11, 2007 6:10 pm 
Great report up.gif That's must be an awesome trip in winter. We usually go in the spring when the lakes are still snowed in and the meandering creek carves up the landscape so beautifully. I'm getting antsy for spring (but we need so more snow first agree.gif !

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostSun Feb 11, 2007 10:21 pm 
silly_traveler wrote:
I got the idea of Surprise/Glacier from dicey's report from a couple of weeks ago. And it was a great snowshoe up.gif Thanks for writing the TR dicey
You are welcome, ST smile.gif Glad you enjoyed yourselves. Sounds like it wasn't hot enough for a nap on glacier lake, eh? Oh well, maybe next time.

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/