Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Unregistered Historians
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fred B

Fred B
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 1:05 pm 
Seems to me that you'll be hindering access to some very interesting history if you block out observations and stories from unregistered historians.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 1:44 pm 
criminy, now I'm being tempted to unregister again. What is it with the insatiable need some folks have for others to be validated with a password? The content of their posts should be sum and total and how they are judged, IMO. I agree with the previous poster.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message

PostFri Feb 01, 2002 3:22 pm 
I agree. I go by Pappy. That name mean anything to anybody? Doubt it. But you all treat me fine because I'm registered? But if an unregistered Pappy posted it would be less "meaningful"? Don't see how it matters. Unless there is a technical reason for the masters of the site.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 3:30 pm 
This forum is open to everyone, including unregistered historians. Allowing only registered historians to post in this forum was only a suggestion made to alleviate moderation concerns (to ensure historians could edit their own posts). We don't force folks to register, but it's so easy and painless I don't know why some avoid it like the dentist. In return, you get the ability to edit & delete your posts, add a custom avatar & personal photo, customize your board preferences, etc. At most you give up your email address which is hidden so that only the board administrator(s) can see them. It's not as if we plan to sell them either. Unlike some other boards, passwords are encrypted so nobody can see them, not even administrators. If you forget your password the software will automatically email you a link that lets you change it (even in this situation your password is not disclosed, so it is virtually impossible for anyone to get your password). While registration makes your identity clear to everyone, it isn't necessary for the board administrator(s) to figure out who is who. Your IP address is logged every time you post. I think it's just common courtesey to let everyone know who the're talking to which is why I don't use multiple handles (ok, I admit to using a few on occasion on the older boards). I think it's the multiple handle thing that riles most folks up, not the fact that they aren't registered.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 4:20 pm 
I would think the big benny is the fact that you can edit or delete. Nice feature. You can always add a little something that you forgot about without adding a new post. Plus you can fix the spelling. hehe NN:)

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Feb 01, 2002 7:44 pm 
Really, what is the big deal about registering? Almost all boards require you to register. If you want to remain anonymous, open yerself a Hotmail account so you don't have to use your regular email address, and/or make your email address inaccessable to other users. I think the big deal here is that some among us prefer to know who is saying what, even if you are using a handle that is not your given name. What's the big deal about that? It's less confusing.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Hysterical Historian

Hysterical Historian
PostSat Feb 09, 2002 12:50 am 
Hey, don't tell "Fred B" to register. He/She knows the mountains better'n any of us! Do you think he/she's a conformist? What contorsionist consorting comfortable conformist would have that many peak names under his/her belt?

mattp

mattp
PostSat Feb 09, 2002 1:40 am 
I agree with Allison. It is so easy to register on this board that I can't see why anybody who is sincere would not want to register. If they can't register, I am not sure why anyone would want to hear what they have to say (I only say this because I have seen a bunch of hostile, inflammatory, and just plain rude stuff posted on bulletin boards where people apparently thought that they were posting anonymously). Perhaps I am missing something here, but my feeling is that nobody should be allowed to post anything that they aren't willing to take responsibility for.

Ulrich

Ulrich
PostSun Feb 10, 2002 12:30 pm 
Oral history: I think that's what we are talking here - I often refer to it jokingly as " historical gossip" - is as important as any written document. It should stand on its own, meaning that it doesn't necessarily need to have a name attached to it. But why to hide one's identity in case of presenting interesting and original material? Just my humble opinion.

jad

jad
PostTue Feb 12, 2002 1:20 pm 
Personally, I'd enjoy hearing Fred B. address this forum. If he's who I think he is, we'd all benefit. Come on Fred, register and speak.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 12, 2002 1:55 pm 
Just to clarify, the only reason "Fred" would need to register is if he wants to edit and delete his posts and take advantage of the other registration benefits. Guest posting is enabled in all the forums.

PostTue Feb 12, 2002 2:47 pm 
Which "Fred B" is it, eh? In case anyone, and I'm not saying you were jad, but if anyone thinks it just might be the guide book Fred. Think again. I (somewhat ) baited Fred B in another thread about whether the name of Mox Pk is actually Twin Spires. Don't think the guide book Fred B would have answered the way he did. But the other one seemed to have good info too...........

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Feb 12, 2002 4:47 pm 
Pappy, I guess there's more than one way to skin a fox then wink.gif.

Sawyer

Sawyer
PostTue Feb 12, 2002 10:04 pm 
Sorry Tom, it ain't me. Lots of people are posting under multi names. My sources have pinpointed Fred B's last name but I will keep mum. After all, this is just a web site, not real life. Clearly the person is extremely familiar with the Cascade peaks. Now for something historic to discuss. Did y'all know that the PCT was rerouted a bunch in the early 1970's? The previous route, known as the Cascade Crest Trail in Washington, has quite a few changes in the Alpine Lakes region. For instance, it used to go past Snow Lake, then down towards Goldmyer. Another section went from Deception Lake to Surprise Gap. Then in the Glacier Peak region, one section went to the Suiattle road instead of up near Glacier Peak as it does now.

polarbear

polarbear
PostTue Feb 12, 2002 10:04 pm 
Frederica a'Bozo? I will have to get out my Pargeter from the '60s and compare the routes.