Forum Index > Gear Talk > Space Blankets
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Jan 19, 2002 1:34 am 
I'm thinking about getting a space blanket for emergency shelter as well as a potential vapor barrier to increase the efficiency of my sleeping bag. Any recommendations? Is the heavier stuff more efficient than the lighter stuff or just more durable? Is the ultralight "resuable" stuff really reusable?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun Jan 20, 2002 9:03 pm 
I used a space blanket type suit once, it really helped overnight, but since then I seldom ever carry it anymore. Don't remember what brand it was and it was very cheap in price as I remember.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Dante

Dante
PostTue Jan 22, 2002 10:54 am 
I tried a "Space Emergency Bag" as a VBL once. The main downside was it was NOISY. The price was right, though. If you're willing to spend more for something more durable check out THIS Backpacker Joe's got one and can tell you more. I've been thinking of getting one. You could also use it as a 4.5oz waterproof pack liner/emergency bivy.

janders

janders
PostMon Feb 11, 2002 1:15 pm 
I spent the extra money (and weight) for one of the heavier duty space blankets. My thinking was mult-use. I used to always carry the tiny little one-season blankets knowing that if i ever unwrapped it, that was probably the last time i would be able to use it. With the heavy duty ones, I can use it as a ground cloth for the tent in the summer, temporary storm protection for a summer squall on a day hike, another liner for the bottom of my tent in the winter, protection for the carpet in the back of my new SUV when the girlfriend wants to bring her dog along. I may not get more than a season or two out of the space blanket but at $12/each, who cares? And at least its one more thing thats earning its space in my pack instead of being just a "worst-cast scenario" item only.

"Oh dang!" - Captain Amazing
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 13, 2002 1:08 pm 
I carry a space blanket also, the medium weight ones which have a light backing so it's not just mylar. I use it as a groundcloth most of the time.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostWed Feb 13, 2002 3:16 pm 
I've carried one forever, but never had to use it, thank dawg. I would imagine it would be pretty noisy in a sleeping bag. agree.gif Maybe a VB bivysack would be something to consider.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?