Forum Index > Trip Reports > Colchuck Peak 6/21/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Happy Trail Dog

Happy Trail Dog
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 11:37 am 
The weather forecasts were looking pretty glum and I decided to head East. Arriving at the Lake Stuart trailhead, I found low clouds but no rain. The trail is snow-free all the way to the Colchuck Lake but the snow starts just above the lake making it possible to go from trail to snow without having to boulder hop. I went up the right side of the boulder field aiming for the moraine below Colchuck glacier. I put on crampons here and I headed left and under the massive Northwest face of Dragontail whose jagged towers drifted in an out of the clouds making the whole scene very spooky. I actually think Dragontail looks better in weather like this than on a bright sunny day. Crampons weren't an absolute necessity, but an ice axe is. The glacier is in great shape, a little icy near the top but none of the armor-plate ice that lurks below the snow cover. This is an ideal time of the year for this route, enough snow to make the part below the glacier easy and the glacier not at all threatening. At the col, I ran into a hiker from Canada who was contemplating Dragontail. Although it was very tempting to try to get in both Colchuck and Dragontail, I opted for my first objective. The scramble from the col to the top of Colchuck follows a sensible track but requires some route finding and rock hopping. The views from the top of Colchuck Peak are undoubtedly fabulous. I got to see the foot of Stuart and a glimpse of Argonaut Peak but that was about it. And then it started snowing.
"Views" of Argonaut Peak and Mount Stuart from Colchuck Peak
"Views" of Argonaut Peak and Mount Stuart from Colchuck Peak

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
El Puma

El Puma
PostSun Jun 22, 2003 3:57 pm 
Great picture - I can just imagine the mood! Congrats on getting out.

PostMon Jun 23, 2003 7:37 am 
Nice TR and pic HTD! I love that Mtn. The enourmous plateau below the little rock summit is such a cool place to hang out. Much more interesting route than Dtail via Aasgard. IMO.