Forum Index > Gear Talk > Magellen and SD cards
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lfseeney@comsast.net

lfseeney@comsast.net
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 10:36 am 
hello all, Could really use some help here. Got my wife a magellen GPS and MAp Send Topo, we have the files from map send finnaly being saved off in the right format. But I have found no way for the unit to read the card, it just sorta gets stuck trying to read it. The card is good, works with other items. Does anyone know how to save off maps to the SD card and then recall them on the GPS? Thanks for any insight on this! Lee

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Jun 18, 2003 11:46 am 
Any chance you have to use the Map Send Topo application, along with the data cable provided with the GPS unit to load those maps up in the proper format? I don't own a Magellan unit, but I know this is the case with my Garmin GPS (possibly because it doesn't have a removable card). You may not be able to just copy them onto the SD card and have the GPS unit recognize them. Try loading up one map in this manner, then mount the card that the GPS unit wrote and see if the maps need to go into a particular directory. Another possibility is that the card needs to use a particular file system (probably FAT16/FAT32...definitely not NTFS) or it might be a proprietary file system that isn't readable by your PC. Good luck and let us know what you find out...

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lfseeney@comcast.net

lfseeney@comcast.net
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 10:23 am 
The Topo was bundled with the GPS, and the card, and the card reader/writer. So it is supposed to work together some how. Tried a map using the serial cable, it went in to the memory in the GPS not on the SD card. This would seem like a common problem, or one so easy to fix I am over looking it. Is no one else trying to use SD cards with Magellan units? Thanks Lee

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Jun 19, 2003 11:17 am 
Have you tried calling or emailing Magellan tech support?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lfseeney@comcast.net

lfseeney@comcast.net
PostMon Jun 23, 2003 10:49 am 
Yes
Yes , I HAve Tried everything they said and still no joy. Has anyone ever tried this? Lee