Forum Index > Pacific NW History > REI catalog?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 7:53 am 
borank wrote:
The earlier pics are from the '71 catalog, but the pics were virtually the same the next 2 years. A couple more from '71.
rei-4
rei-4
[Insert they-don't-make-em-like-they-use-to comment here.] Pops passed down the blue one on the bottom a few years back after two decades of abuse. I used it as a climbing bag for a while, but have since settled on it as a book bag. The thing is a friggin tank, with hardly a flaw save a small, roden-gnawed entry way on the bottom. And of course my golite gust receives a tear in the first month...sweet.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stuck in Misery

Stuck in Misery
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 9:57 pm 
Wow flashbacks............I remember those pages very well, I used to study those catalogs all the time, I would just sit and dream about getting all that "high tech" equipment. I still have my Cruiser pack and my Optimus 8R pictured above. I will always remember the time the o-ring in the fuel cap popped and shot about a ten foot flame out of it, it sounded like a jet engine, that was scary.

I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Mar 06, 2007 10:07 pm 
A 1962 (64?) REI catalogue was being passed around the pub table last night. I found the entire page (or was it 2 pages?) devoted to hat ornaments fascinating. Guess that one pint of cider fried my memory cells.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
BirdDog

BirdDog
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 12:05 pm 
Still have my "Sacs Millet" as shown on the 1971 'rei-4' catalog page. I don't use this for hiking anymore as pack technology has brought us some more comfortable packs; but thing is still in great shape with lots of use.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 12:10 pm 
I have an identical one also. biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 9:07 pm 
I can't remember at what age I started looking at the REI catalog, but I do remember my Dad had just gotten a calculator and that I had about $30 in my bank account. I was trying to figure out how much it would cost to outfit myself to be a self sufficient backpacker. Sleeping bag Tent Stove Pack A good quality Holofill II bag was in the $40 range. I think they also had a bag where the bottom was filled with polarguard and the top was down. Anyone know what it was called. It was a little depressing, because no matter how I added the numbers it would require several more birthdays with money from my Grandma before I could afford more than a sleeping bag (minus the $4 stuff sack). My sister one-upped me by buying the Pasayten bag which I could not yet afford. I ended up buying a lesser expensive bag, which I still have, from Jonas Brothers.

BirdDog

BirdDog
PostWed Mar 07, 2007 9:29 pm 
polarbear wrote:
A good quality Holofill II bag was in the $40 range. I think they also had a bag where the bottom was filled with polarguard and the top was down. Anyone know what it was called.
I can't remember the name of the ploargard/down bag, but I still have mine - still use often. Bought it with my first paycheck ever, in 1974. Been repaired a few times, but one great quality bag. Couldn't tell you how many nights I've spent in it - 1000's. That's when REI had some real long lasting quality.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostSun Mar 11, 2007 11:24 am 
Long-lasting quality. Here is my 1971 REI hi-ender tent. Picture taken August 2003 (Crawford Lk)
Hi-Ender
Hi-Ender

LORRI.88

LORRI.88
PostTue Dec 19, 2017 2:42 pm 
Hello, my boyfriend worked up at Mt Rainier National Park for 16 seasons 1975-1991. Trail crew, carpenter shop, he wore a pair of rondoy hanwag made in Germany. What size are they?