Forum Index > Pacific NW History > 10th Mountain Division Fort Lewis
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostThu Feb 15, 2007 10:44 pm 
If I was currently in the US Armed Forces I would want to be with the guys in the 10th Mountain Division up.gif. I could be in the mountains. The only difference is that I would carry a rifle. I wonder if I could bring my own backpack? campfire.gif Fort Lewis History. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10th_Mountain_Division www.mscd.edu/~history/camphale/tmd_001.html
Mountain Guys For You.
Mountain Guys For You.
The Swiss Army: "All able-bodied Swiss males aged between 18 and 30 (in some cases longer) must serve, and although entry to recruit school may be delayed for highschool and equivalent education, it is no longer possible to delay it for university studies. For women, military service is voluntary .."

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dante

Dante
PostFri Feb 16, 2007 8:52 am 
If I were to serve (again) right now, I'd prefer to serve in a small special operations unit (assuming I could get in). They spend plenty of time outdoors, under a ruck, but their units are smaller and more autonimous than those of a typical infantry division. The 10th Mountain Division has been deployed in Iraq (Huh?) as well as Afghanistan (makes some sense), and are typically deployed as regular light infantry rather than as "mountain" troops. We've also deployed the 207th Infantry Group (Scout) "Arctic Warriors" to Iraq. confused.gif

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Feb 20, 2007 12:17 am 
Dante wrote:
The 10th Mountain Division has been deployed in Iraq (Huh?) as well as Afghanistan (makes some sense), and are typically deployed as regular light infantry rather than as "mountain" troops.
Let's talk Tora Bora if I may ... Let's talk about the beautiful mountains there .. And lets talk about 'mountain men'. 'They' are admirable mountain men. I believe that your basic kid who was brought up as a Boy Scout, and who went to special training could hang out in those mountains and shoot Osama. Dead. But the kids from Kansas still haven't found him. As far as Mountain Troops, Rangers, etc., I suspect that WE NEED guy's who grew up skiing at Crystal Mt, Wa. - backpacking on the PCT - and being familiar with Marching. Left face, Right face, About face, etc.. Think Swiss teens who have to have training - not U.S. Soccer Mom's. rant.gif Think Scouting. Osama seems to be a better mountain man than our guy's. That Sucks. Are The Boy Scouts of America a trained, unwitting resourse for America's military in mountains? Damn Straight! Tora Bora Baby!

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostTue Feb 20, 2007 1:04 am 
ok You guys should watch "Fire on the Mountain." It's about the 10th in training and in WW2.

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Feb 21, 2007 6:40 am 
Another good book on the 10th Mtn Division is Climb to Conquer by Peter Shelton and published by Scribner. The late Duke Watson skied and learned climbing from the 10th Mtn. Divsion.

Dante

Dante
PostWed Feb 21, 2007 11:06 am 
I wasn't denigrating the 10th Mountain Division. I was just saying Snowbrushy "could be in the mountains" in the 10th or he could be in Iraq, Somalia, Haiti or Bosnia - wherever the Pentagon wants them - mountains or no mountains. Historically, the same has been true for the Airborne Divisions and Ranger Battalions, but that may have changed with the creation of the Special Operations Command. The history of the 10th is definitely cool. The military history of the Alps during the world wars is also great reading.

Dogpatch

Dogpatch
PostWed Feb 21, 2007 11:33 am 
An aside: My brother is in Afghanistan with the National Guard. He says the 10th Mountain were on the runway, on their way home last week. Didn't make it, got yanked back, and their tours extended. They are NOT HAPPY.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." – Groucho Marx
Prince of Happiness
Fly in the ointment

Prince of Happiness
Fly in the ointment
PostWed Feb 21, 2007 11:53 am 
Dante wrote:
I wasn't denigrating the 10th Mountain Division. I was just saying Snowbrushy "could be in the mountains" in the 10th or he could be in Iraq, Somalia, Haiti or Bosnia - wherever the Pentagon wants them - mountains or no mountains. Historically, the same has been true for the Airborne Divisions and Ranger Battalions, but that may have changed with the creation of the Special Operations Command. The history of the 10th is definitely cool. The military history of the Alps during the world wars is also great reading.
I'm really curious about the wars in the Alps. I remember reading on WWI, and one of the most vivid pictures I have in my head was from reading how the Italians and Austrians would shell the slopes above enemy positions causing avalanches and landslides. Dude, that's harsh can't just be bothered with better sighting? eek.gif

The Prince of Happiness "A man who does not care about the beer he drinks , may as well not care about the bread he eats." - M. Jackson, Beerhunter as seen by my friend Anita on a sign in Helsinki
Kathleen

Kathleen
PostWed Feb 21, 2007 11:31 pm 
My sister is army reserve at ft. lewis. They can defenitely send you where they want when they want to. She's been to Thailand and Germany in the past year and now there are rumors of her unit being sent to the middle east. Of course there are also rumors of them being sent to Texas or to Korea.

hopalong
Tree Climber

hopalong
Tree Climber
PostWed Feb 21, 2007 11:59 pm 
List of companies started by the 10th after their duty ( embarassedlaugh.gif doody) in the service. Nike Aspen ...what else?

Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostSun Mar 11, 2007 5:11 pm 
10th is not what it used to be. Now it is pretty much the same as any other light Inf Div. Im not going to get into the political side, but the downsizing of the military done during my time in really hurt us in todays military, and lots of crying and bitching from our congress critters is actually their own faults in their earlier days.

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
jabenoi
NW Hiker

jabenoi
NW Hiker
PostMon Mar 19, 2007 7:02 am 
The 10th mountain based out of Ft. Drum NY is a cold cold place were you have to put a sock on your goods just to go running so that they don’t freeze. It is ridiculously cold there. I am just glad I was stationed here and not there. I was a light infantryman w/the Stryker units and w/out them and it sucked being out there in the cold. People romanticize the notion of it and the adventure of it. I was once that naive I saw a video of them out in the woods doing there thing and it looked cool until you are that guy. And though it may sound cool you are there for one thing and that is kill or be killed. So before you join think can I kill somebody because the government told me too. And I am not talking defending our homeland in the event of a ground attack on the us I mean after all that why we bear arms that and to overthrow the government if ever needed. But what my point is I love camping/hiking/climbing/rappelling and all that but at my own free will.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be." Author Unknown
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Mar 19, 2007 11:04 am 
Jabenoi, My elderly father hates camping. He was infantry (Ft Lewis) in WW2 in North Africa and Italy and is fed-up with camping. Isn't that sad? Don't let that happen to you!

jabenoi
NW Hiker

jabenoi
NW Hiker
PostMon Mar 19, 2007 11:10 am 
Oh no that'll never happen lol. I dont blame him though cause they were faced with some adverse conditions there. So I can see where he is coming from. But not me I will be a camper/backpacker till I am too old to do so lol.

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be." Author Unknown
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Mar 19, 2007 11:34 am 
Still, I think that if it were me I'd prefer to hang-out at the Khyber Pass instead of downtown Baghdad. I burned my draft card in 1970! Edit: With my vet. fathers approval.