Forum Index > Trip Reports > Glacier Basin/Emmons Moraine MRNP
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 6:00 pm 
I decided I really needed to get out today and it was a glorious day for hiking. We had a view of Rainer the whole way there via Hwy 410. The White River rd. is open to the campground, Sunrise is opening this friday! We headed up to Glacier Basin first, hitting snow at the magical 2 mile marker, we kept slogging through it till finally I said pooey, this sucks lol.gif We were less than 1/2 mile from the basin, but I was happy with the views, and the snow was getting boring to walk on. So...right as I turn around and am preaching loudly to Ford to watch his footing, my left leg shoots through the icy snow to my knee~OWWWW!!!!! It hurt SO freaking bad. I haven't postholed like that in a long time-I am getting a lovely bruise lol.gif The trip down was fine~hooboy, that trail has a creepy section of woods-all there is is one bird and a zillion knocke ddown trees. Yuck....... Decided to go up to Emmons Moraine when we hit the junction-which is what I should have done first! The views were gorgeous. We had our lunch overlooking the tarns down there. Palyed a game with Ford to see how many caves he could find across the valley-he has very good eyes. Then I pulled out the map and worked at doing orientering-the BF has been teaching me. Not bad, I identified most of the peaks smile.gif We had perfect visibility. Headed down and met the classic tourons coming up~this is what they said "are there any good photo opportunities up ahead?" So I told them to go up the Moraine. "What's a moraine?" So I told them. "a glacier? what's that look like?" AGH!!!! So I tell them to look for the tarns, it'll be a great shot. "What's a tarn??" These people had Ohio farmers written all over biggrin.gif You know, I love ending hikes in nature walk zones-I love the q's lol.gif lol.gif It was a awesome day to hike even if all we did was like 6 or so miles. The views are the payoff, and best of all, as we drove home Rainer clouded over lol.gif Sweet!!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 10:36 pm 
Sar, that is a BEEE-YOU-TEE-PHULE pic you have there. Glad you have a great time! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
El Puma

El Puma
PostWed Jun 25, 2003 6:45 am 
Brings back memories - about 20 years ago I a friend and I attempted an Emmons-Winthrop ascent of MR. After postholing our way halfway up the Inter Glacier (thigh-deep every step - and that was 10AM in June!) we abandoned the project, camped at St.Elmo's pass instead and returned via the various Burroughs Mountains and a still-closed Sunrise the next day. Coolest part: Being at Sunrise alone! The snow depth on Inter really surprised us - as steep as that thing is on the bottom, we'd thought it would all slide off rather than stick and become crusty mush.