Forum Index > Pacific NW History > 10th Mountain Division Fort Lewis
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snow_Knot

Snow_Knot
PostTue Mar 20, 2007 11:09 am 
It took me a couple of years to want to go camping after I got out, Not because of anything more then I was already burned out from sleeping in my poncho, and liner. Now when I go camping, I tend to pack very light and sleep in ...... My ponch, and liner. biggrin.gif Jabenoi, There is nothing quite like trying to knock out a PT test in -14! dizzy.gif And thank you for your service. There are a lot of people out there that will never understand what it is like to serve your country. When it sucks, it sucks bad, and when it is fun, it is really the most fun you can have without being busted for some sorta weapons, or explosives violation. or how well you get to know your brothers at arm's, most of the time better than you know your own family. Snowbrushy, Respect out to your father aswell, those guys were really what America was all about.

"Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?" Well, I think so, Brain, but "apply North Pole" to what?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Mar 20, 2007 3:12 pm 
jabenoi wrote:
and to overthrow the government if ever needed.
You said it! I'm tired of watching good guys dieing.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Mar 20, 2007 6:38 pm 
Do you guys remember Alice & Chains and the Vietnam War song called, The Rooster? Once I was talking to Layne the singer trying to convince him that the song was a very Led Zep-ish sounding song. He just said "Oh sh##" !!

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Mar 20, 2007 11:31 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
Another good book on the 10th Mtn Division is Climb to Conquer by Peter Shelton and published by Scribner. The late Duke Watson skied and learned climbing from the 10th Mtn. Divsion.
People may have already seen this Duke Watson article but since it hasn't been linked in this thread I'll point it out as a worthwhile read: http://www.mountaineers.org/nwmj/06/061_Watson1.html

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostThu Mar 22, 2007 4:56 pm 
If I may say one thing, it would be to recommend the book "The Last Ridge" by McKay Jenkins, which is about the founding members of the 10th and their service in Alaska and Italy during WW2. It is a very good read.

Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner
PostThu Apr 26, 2007 10:34 am 
War in the Alps
I have a classical 1930's film from Luis Trenker in a DVD of the movie "Berg in Flammen" in German showing the Alpine war on the Italian-Austrian border in the Alps.

Bergschlawiner
Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner
PostThu Apr 26, 2007 10:52 am 
Mountain Troops and 10th Mtn Div
For info on the German Alpine tropps visit http://juni0r.orcon.net.nz/gebirgs.html While working in Iraq in 2004-05 at Abu Ghraib Prison the Hq of the 10th Mtn was at Camp Victory near Baghdad and after a big attack on the prison in April 2005 the Marines left and elements from the 10th Mtn took over defense of the walls. I always asked guys (and gals) with the patch on if they were skiiers or climbers and the answer was always the same. No! They were all regular troops, "straight leg", lots of chubby reservists, etc. This was no surprise because a cop I know in Maine told me that the 10th Mtn Div is all "straight leg" except for several reserve battalions in Maine and New Hampshire that are attached and have many skiers. Looks like when it comes to alpine fighting its the job of the 82nd and other airborne units.

Bergschlawiner
Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner
PostThu Apr 26, 2007 10:56 am 
Admin Note: The contents of this post were lost in a database crash.

Bergschlawiner
Lowell_Skoog

Lowell_Skoog
PostSat Jun 09, 2007 2:18 pm 
Eric wrote:
Mike Collins wrote:
Another good book on the 10th Mtn Division is Climb to Conquer by Peter Shelton and published by Scribner. The late Duke Watson skied and learned climbing from the 10th Mtn. Divsion.
People may have already seen this Duke Watson article but since it hasn't been linked in this thread I'll point it out as a worthwhile read: http://www.mountaineers.org/nwmj/06/061_Watson1.html
Duke Watson is still around. He's not "the late" yet. Go Duke!

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Sep 26, 2007 6:42 am 
NPR recently did a story on the 10th. Listen http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=14594652

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostTue Oct 16, 2007 6:43 pm 
Looks like when it comes to alpine fighting its the job of the 82nd and other airborne units.[/quote] I didn't do any alpine training when I was in the 82nd. However, I did freeze my hiny off on top of a mountain. Some idiot told us to take off all our snivel gear and leave it behind because we would get sweaty from overexertion (sp?) while taking a trench. He promised we would get on trucks right afterward and leave. The trucks never arrived and it got below zero at night. We were calling in medevac helicopters to take out hypothermic soldiers (Ever seen 20 guys spoon side by side?). Ironically, I came there again a year later and some idiot thought it would be nifty to take the hill in 120 degree temperatures with full body armor. This time people were medevaced for hyperthermia. For those interested in joining the military I give this warning. Go in for an advanced state of patriotism and that only. Because if you think "the excitement" will be a lot of fun you are sadly mistaken. Most people think that they are tough therefore they can handle hard situations. The worst part is many hard situations make no sense. Like walking 12 miles to take a position that doesn't exist.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSun Dec 30, 2007 1:07 pm 
Origins of the National Ski Patrol The NSP was organized and directed by Charles Minot “Minnie” Dole as a committee of the National Ski Association (now the United States Ski Association). Through his efforts as the first national director of the NSP, the organization spread its effects and esprit de corps across the nation. Upon his retirement in 1950, Dole had built the NSP into an organization of 4,000 members serving 300 ski patrols. During World War II, Dole was responsible for the establishment of the famed 10th Mountain Division of the US Army. Applicants for this remarkable military unit, which saw much of its fighting activity in Italy, were screened by the NSP. Many individuals who were responsible for the establishment of many ski areas in the United States served in the 10th Mountain Division and have contributed significantly to the sport.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostSat Sep 06, 2008 12:00 pm 
This video from KCTS TV has some history of the 10th Mountain at Mt. Rainier.
This video from KCTS TV has some history of the 10th Mountain at Mt. Rainier.
Camp Hale, Co.
Maneuvers:
(Note: Background song mentions Fort Lewis) ...............................

Bergschlawiner

Bergschlawiner
PostWed Sep 17, 2008 5:08 pm 
Snowbrushy wrote:
If I was currently in the US Armed Forces I would want to be with the guys in the 10th Mountain Division up.gif. I could be in the mountains.
Don't count on it, as some earlier posts mentioned the regular 10th Mtn Div soldiers are all light infantry plus a lot of "support" types. The only mountaineers are with the reserve units attached to the 10th in New England. I worked around the 10th in 2005 in Iraq and never met a single soldier who even hiked in the mountains or skied.

Bergschlawiner
reststep

reststep
PostSat Sep 27, 2008 11:39 am 
Before the Iraq war started we would see soldiers from Fort Lewis skiing at Crystal Mountain. I have no idea what unit they were from but I assume it was some kind of training since they were in uniform. I have not seen them there since.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir