Forum Index > Gear Talk > Very Unusual Stove
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostSun Feb 03, 2002 11:49 am 
Is anyone familiar with the "Kelly Stove" from Ireland? I saw this over on TLB and thought it was interesting enough to post here, if for no other reason because it's so different. Basically, it's a woodburner stove that looks a little like a stainless steel thermos that is double walled construction, has a fire combustion chamber at the bottom, and has a hollow center. You fill the water jacket with water, start a fire in the bottom, then feed solid fuel down the hollow "core" of the stove. This supposedly heats the water very quickly. It's one of the most unusual stoves I've ever seen, and I'm kind of a stove freak. They were first designed and used by Irish ghillies (fishing guides) a hundred years ago. The company makes at least two versions of it, one of them being a smaller stove for backpacking, but the thing still weighs something like 26 oz. The ultralite people over on TLB are all trying to figure out a way to make one out of cat stoves, etc., to make one at about a quarter of the weight. Here's the link: http://www.kellykettle.com/ Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Feb 03, 2002 12:27 pm 
Interesting concept. The weight would be a factor to some. My experience with water around a wood combustion chamber is that it has a tendency to sweat. The colder the water the more so. In this case it seems like it would drip into the bottom of the fire box and dampen some fuel. Maybe they have it worked out. Too bad they don't recommend carrying water. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
salish

salish
PostSun Feb 03, 2002 1:08 pm 
Good point, Newt. I wonder why they discourage that? But it is kind of a cool idea. You can also cook stuff in a pan or pot on top of the stove flame while you are waiting for your water to boil (and of course they sell the extra pots. pans & grills). I dunno, I just thought it was interesting. I sometimes use one of the older style Zip Stoves and just have this thing about smelling like a campfire when I get home. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Feb 03, 2002 1:42 pm 
They said it was rivited and will eventually seal its self. I think I would have welded it but that would drive the cost up. Even using the high temp JB Weld would do I think. I know what you mean about the wood smoke. You ain't campin' 'less you have some ashes in the pancakes. yummy NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Dante

Dante
PostThu Feb 14, 2002 8:12 am 
I agree, high temperature adhesive would be the way to go. It doesn't look like this thing was intended primarily for backpackers, though. BTW the Kelly Kettle people told me the large weighs 750g and the small weighs 100g. There's a similar kettle advertised in the small ads at the back of Backpacker magazine this month. That one is stainless. Based on the sketch, it looks like you build a small fire on the ground and set the kettle over it. A perforated skirt on the bottom of the kettle acts as a windscreen/support.

salish

salish
PostFri Feb 15, 2002 9:20 am 
Dante wrote:
I agree, high temperature adhesive would be the way to go. It doesn't look like this thing was intended primarily for backpackers, though. BTW the Kelly Kettle people told me the large weighs 750g and the small weighs 100g. There's a similar kettle advertised in the small ads at the back of Backpacker magazine this month. That one is stainless. Based on the sketch, it looks like you build a small fire on the ground and set the kettle over it. A perforated skirt on the bottom of the kettle acts as a windscreen/support.
Is that stove a pellet-burner like this one, Dante?

Dante

Dante
PostFri Feb 15, 2002 9:56 am 
Nope. The kettle/stove pictured in the Backpacker add is all one piece. Picture a coffee pot with sides that extend a couple inches below the bottom. That bottom part has holes in it to let air in and smoke out. It looks like a cross between a coffee pot and one of those chimney-type charcoal briquet lighters. Like I said, it looks like you'd just light a little fire on the ground and set the kettle over it.