Forum Index > Gear Talk > Best place to buy new gear?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nick

Nick
PostThu Jun 05, 2003 3:08 pm 
Marmot Mountain Works in Bellvue is pretty decent. I use Backpacker's Supply in Tacoma quite a bit - it's my favorite shop. Alpine Experience in Olympia is pretty good also.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 06, 2003 11:06 am 
Locke Miller, owner of Marmot in Swellevue, also owns Backpackers Supply in Tacoma.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 10:00 am 
Show Jim The Money
Lately Packpup and I have been giving Jim a lot of our money!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 08, 2003 12:05 pm 
Well now, that's a good thing too! TB winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Marmot

Marmot
PostWed Jun 11, 2003 11:52 am 
One Day Wonder wrote:
Has anyone shopped @ Second Ascent? How is there selection? Price?
I've shopped there a bit. Lots of used stuff. They're pretty picky about their purchasing, so quality is pretty good. As for price, the used stuff varies based on quality. I got a pair of $50 Gramicci pants for $10, my wife picked up a pair of custom (probably Feathered Friends) down pants for $40. So I'd say not bad. New gear runs @ suggested retail. A couple of other places: Feathered Friends, Outdoor and More, Outdoor Research factory store (in SODO area).

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostFri Jun 13, 2003 9:46 am 
Pro Guiding Service in North Bend has a limited selection but the staff listens to us hard to fit folks and will bring in packs for you. After several disappointing trips to REI and Marmot, being a short torso woman with wide shoulders, Pro Guiding ordered me a pack I'd never even seen. Without having to ask it was minimal and the right capacity and believe it or not it was NOT dayglo orange (thank you). It was within 5$ of my price range and I left feeling like I had an expert working for me. Laid back but knowledgable is my favorite combo... and I'll soon be replacing my multiday pack due to discovering Deuter fits my pokey shoulderbladed self. -Jo

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Jun 13, 2003 6:20 pm 
I'll second pro guiding service for service. the owner runs a small ski shop on 90th and aurora in winter. martin is a certif. swiss alpine guide and is very knowlegeble . promotes ski touring here as well as in europe (he's from zermatt) the guy flat out knows his stuff as do his employees. OKAY I AM DONE PIMPIN FOR PRO -GUIDE SERVICES dizzy.gif dizzy.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Jun 13, 2003 8:02 pm 
Deuter.....YEAH BABY! Three of the coolest posters here have brand-new Deuter ACT Lite 50+10 packs....their packs rock the DOME!!!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostWed Jun 25, 2003 11:17 pm 
I am looking for a bigger day pack since I screwed up on my first one and it is only 800 cu in, way too small. I really like what I see in the Deuter line but the one I like the most appears to only come in orange, why would they make an orange pack back? Anyway, I think I have about settled on the Aircomfort Futura 22. It is 1700+ cu in which sound a little excessive but I really don't want an orange backpack. If anyone has any other suggestions though I'd be happy to hear them. Also, has anyone ever bought from rockcreek.com? That's where I was looking at this one.

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 8:11 am 
Pro Mountain Sports www.promountainsports.com has a bunch of smaller, non-orange Detuer packs. If none of those appeal to you, REI www.rei.com carries a bunch of Deuters made for bicycling. You should be able to find one you like, and both of these outfits do mail order. Also since everyone's talking Deuter these days, I just fired off an email to my contact there for a full list of retailers in Western WA. Hope this helps.

-florida

-florida
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 9:59 am 
I really like the AC Lite 20 which is the orange one, maybe I'll just go with the AC Lite 25..... I looked at REI.com but the bike packs didn't really do it for me besides they always are so much more expensive....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jun 26, 2003 10:34 am 
Well the 15 and the 25 are both very close in size and come in better colors.