Forum Index > Trip Reports > Red Mountain (Salmon La Sac) 3-25 (Adventure & Map added!)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostWed Mar 28, 2007 1:35 pm 
cartman wrote:
And Miss Emma summitted without making any tracks in the snow.
lol.gif rocker.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostWed Mar 28, 2007 2:42 pm 
I'll attempt to respond to the stuff sack tennis shoe query: As I understand it, Erin has delicate feet and boots cause her discomfort. So, she wears tennies. The stuff sacks are water proof to keep her feet dry.....and of course when the need arises, she straps her snowshoes or 'pons onto her tennies over the stuff sacks. rolleyes.gif Hey, she is the fastest I have ever seen going up a slope. I am thinking of trying her system! dizzy.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostWed Mar 28, 2007 8:58 pm 
Great trip report! I enjoyed following the adventure! Jason

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostWed Mar 28, 2007 9:28 pm 
Nice trip report Matt! Looks like everyone had a grand time. Me=Jealous

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
ErinB

ErinB
PostWed Mar 28, 2007 9:37 pm 
More pictures...
And yet another thanks to Matt for the trip - especially the adventure part! And to all the wonderful people (and dog, of course!) I met or remet! Here are a few more pictures, though I always forget to wipe off the lens and end up with blurry photos frown.gif :
Uphill!
Uphill!
Mark considering testing the cornice ::)
Mark considering testing the cornice smile.gif
Our adventurous leader on the summit!
Our adventurous leader on the summit!
Glissading Mark
Glissading Mark
Happiness!
Happiness!
Glissading Aussie
Glissading Aussie
Type E - TrailPair explained the set up quite nicely...I simply find tennis shoes much better for my feet and for my balance. For me, the combo of tennis shoes and crampons when needed functions as well if not better than boots do. The stuff sacks were the latest addition this winter, inspired by a picture at ProMountain Sports. My feet stay dry, and with inserted toe warmers, toe-sty warm! So I'm afraid I'm not an elf or a gnome - it's just my magical tennis shoes! Awesome trip report, by the way.

Type E

Type E
PostWed Mar 28, 2007 10:43 pm 
I guess whatever works?! Great feat and great report!

PCT Plodder

PCT Plodder
PostThu Mar 29, 2007 7:40 am 
Great pics guys, I'm envious! Though it DOES give me an idea of where to go this weekend. up.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSat Mar 31, 2007 10:29 am 
Terrific stuff. The pics are all outstanding. Do you need a sno park pass to park up there? I'm thinking I'd like to do this one on Monday. Thnks....

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Mar 31, 2007 10:39 am 
You do need a sno-park permit. It's a snowmobile sno-park, but fortunately the east side of Red Mountain itself is a non-motorized area, so the snowmobiles are only on the road below, not on the peak.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostSun May 20, 2007 6:24 am 
Thanks for providing the inspiration that led Eric and I up on May 4th. We still hit a lot of snow and enjoyed a good snow hike but the snow was not soft enough to need the snowshoes we carried nor icy enough to require the ice axes we brought along. Overall, the weather was somewhat cooperative although the cloud deck was just low enough to keep us from having those long distance views we would have loved having. We noted a glissade path that looked a bit old and some ski tracks up near the top. Eric on the south summit Eric again with north summit vanquished
You could drive up to the TH on the Cooper Road
The snow started in earnest at the 3800 foot level The snow was beautiful and the reason why I love snow hikes.
The following week, Eric, Ken Jones and I did Ten Four Mountain near Sultan/Gold Bar. Hitting brush as well as steep snow made it a long day for our day's work.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160