Forum Index > Trail Talk > hiking.. out of state experiences...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostTue Apr 10, 2007 9:22 pm 
We have done lots of hiking in Canada (BC & Alberta) as well as Oregon. California, Hawaii, Utah, Arizona and one hike in Montana It's all laid out in our website - which thanks to MSN looks to be in it's final state and will be on the move this year

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Apr 10, 2007 9:23 pm 
Not counting any hiking trip less then a week long here are all the states I've hiked in and the wilderness areas I visited: Idaho (Sawtooth (2x), White Clouds, Frank Church (2x), Selway Bitterroot (2x). Montana (Absoroka-Beartooth (2x) Mission Mths, Selway-Bitteroot, Great Bear, Lee Metcalf, Anaconda-Pintler) Wyoming (Bridger/Fitzpatrick/Popo Agie/Wind River Indian Res (7x), Cloud Peak) Utah (Uintahs) Oregon (Eagle Cap) British Columbia (Wells Gray, Spatzizzi Plateau, Tweedsmuir, Atlin) Alaska (Kootznoowoo, Gates of the Arctic, West Chichagof Yakobi, Togiak)

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
kayakbear

kayakbear
PostTue Apr 10, 2007 9:27 pm 
Yana wrote:
kayakbear wrote:
A couple places. One was in the valley of the roses. The other was hiking along the top of hills by sighisora that connect the monastaries. One every 8-10 miles or so. Don't actually know what the area was called, I didn't mean to go there, just kinda ended up there (Sighisora I mean, I was trying to get to Cluj). I know its a UNESCO area though. Beautiful area. Freakin' gypsy kid stole my camera there though so I don't have any photos! irked.gif furious.gif mad.gif Where were you?
I believe the areas you are describing are in Romania. I have hiked pretty extensively in Bulgaria as I lived there for 11 years, but I prefer the alpine mountains (Rila and especially Pirin).
My bad, you are right. I was thinking Romania. Must be the research paper I'm on working on (which is on Romania and so its what I've been thinking about lately). In Bulgaria it was just around Plovdiv and the Valley of the Roses. Where I couldn't tell you, I was with a friend who lives there and she was just kinda happily dragging me around. smile.gif I think I may be back in the area next year and will try to hit up some more places in Bulgaria if I have time smile.gif

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Apr 10, 2007 9:32 pm 
Brian C. is pretty much the go-to guy on out of state trips. We did some when I was a kid, as an adult, just a few that have already been named.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
wbs

wbs
PostTue Apr 10, 2007 9:53 pm 
not including out of state of mind trips.... CA - Sierra, San Bernadino Range, Anza Borrego, Josh Tree, Catalina Is HI - Big Island - Wiamea / Wimanu Valleys, Mauna Kea / Puakaloa, Maui - Haleakala NP. AZ - various Prescott area, San Fran Pks UT - Zion, Bryce OR - Wallowa NV - Ruby Mtns

touron

touron
PostTue Apr 10, 2007 10:36 pm 
CA-South Sierras (Mt. Whitney, Bishop Pass, Blue Lake, Rainbow Falls, Hilton Lakes); Kings Canyon (Paradise Valley, Granite Lakes); Mineral King (Monarch Lakes) ID- Sawtooth Lake MT-Hyalite Lake, Sacajewea Peak, and of course, the "M" out of Bozeman up.gif NV-Ruby Mountains (Brad, maybe I saw you), Wheeler Peak

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Andrew

Andrew
PostTue Apr 10, 2007 10:49 pm 
Many of you are hiding pictures of these beautiful places. Please post them!

Wahsega

Wahsega
PostTue Apr 10, 2007 10:55 pm 
Lots of hiking in the Adirondacks of N.Y., Vermont, New Hampshire , and Maine. Some in the Appalachian Mts of Georgia. I've lived in all those states. Also spent a month climbing and hiking in Wales and Cornwall in England.

Wahsega
Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 7:05 am 
forest gnome wrote:
CRUPPERS!! Looks like the gnome has gotta step it up for out of state hikes! how the heck do y'all find the time??
Move to Spokane - we're within dayhiking distance of Idaho, Montana, B.C., Alberta and (if you like driving) Oregon. Oh, and Washington smile.gif

moosefish
I am the fish

moosefish
I am the fish
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 7:10 am 
My hikes by state/country are listed here and include California Hawaii Kentucky Oregon Vermont Washington Wyoming (Yellowstone and Tetons) Italy New Zealand Scotland I've also placed all my trips on a Google Earth network layer located at http://www.moosefish.com/adventures.kml.

cheakamus

cheakamus
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 1:07 pm 
I had the amazing good fortune to spend the whole of last October in Italy as the spouse of a resident scholar at the Rockefeller Bellagio Center. The center is housed in a 16th-century ducal palace on a hillside above Bellagio—smack dab in the center of Lake Como (on a peninsula).
Spouses were advised to have a project of their own, and mine was to climb all the nearby peaks. I may not have climbed them all, but I did manage a fair few—Grignone, Grignetta, Crucione, Bregagno, etc.—as well as taking several mid-level walks. Grignone, the highest peak, is aound 9000 ft. (the lake is at 650).
The terrain varies considerably—from grassy alpine pastures to barren limestone spires—but the one thing all these hikes have in common are the incredible views of Lake Como (as well as Lake Lugano, in some cases).
October is a fabulous month to be in Italy—temperatures are still in the low 70s, and most of the tourists have gone home.
Information about this area in English is not very plentiful—the few books I found beforehand described only low-level rambles suitable for Sunday walkers. I did find a couple of very useful websites (in Italian) , but they made the hikes sound daunting. In the event, the hikes were all very doable—certainly no more difficult than the average I-90 summit (though longer and higher). In some places, there are chains fixed to the rocks to assist.
If anyone would like more information about hiking in this area, feel free to PM me.

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 3:56 pm 
OR - Sisters/Mt Bachelor Area, Columbia Gorge CA - Mt Eddy, Mt. Whitney, Lake Sabrina Area, Mono Pass, Anza Borrego, Joshua Tree, Death Valley AZ - Tuscon Area, Mt. Wrightson, Pichaco Peak HI - Kauai France - Mercantour National Park (Maritime Alps/Nice) Italy - Cinque Terre, Dolomites, Tuscany Namibia - Namib Desert South Africa - Table Mountain Australia - Bluff Knoll (WA) Chile - Torre del Paine, Huerquehue

whitebark

whitebark
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 7:07 pm 
CA: Extensive hiking in Sierras, Joshua Tree, Coast Ranges north and south, San Jacinto and Desert Divide, Marble Mts, Lassen, Shasta, White Mts, Death Valley, Bay Area OR: Syskiyous, Various places in Cascades, Steens Mtn,Warner Mtns,Anthony Lakes, Mt Hood NV: Rubys, Wheeler Pk, Toquima Range , Toiyabes, Sheep Range AZ: Grand Canyon, Arches, Canyonlands CO: Various in the rockies and Boulder area MT: Rattlesnake Creek (Missoula), Blodgett Canyon (Bitterroots) ID: Sawtooths, Kane Lake Hawaii: Some Europe: Pyranees (Parc d'ordessa) in Spain, Swiss Alps, Tatra Mts (poland)

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 11:05 pm 
Just last week... hiked to Waimoku Falls on Maui (only 4 miles round trip). Had a great week with the family, but a few extra trail days sure would have been fun also.
Waimoku Falls Trail sign
Waimoku Falls Trail sign
Waimoku Falls
Waimoku Falls
Waimoku Falls
Waimoku Falls
Enjoyed some sights on the way to/from the trailhead as well:
Black Sand Beach
Black Sand Beach
Maui Jungle
Maui Jungle
Hana Waterfall
Hana Waterfall
Maui Sunbeams
Maui Sunbeams
sunbeams on Maui
sunbeams on Maui
Kahana Falls Sunset
Kahana Falls Sunset

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
mike

mike
PostThu Apr 12, 2007 11:49 am 
My daughter and son-in-law just returned from a trek up Roraima The tepui of Lost World fame. Can't wait to see the pics when they get back. Any other's who have done hiking in Latin america?