Forum Index > Food & Grub > MREs as trail food? (article)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 12:10 am 
lol! local deal: cases and cases of fresh mre's!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 3:15 pm 
I have never had an MRE. Now, I think I'll try some. I'd like to have a hot meal and I'd heat it with a stove. A hot dinner in the mountains is good for my morale. If I was backpacking for 15 months in the snowy Hindu Kush I'd probably try to find an old Russian 8R knockoff to heat my dinners.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 5:27 pm 
What are all y'all getting MREs for? Is that the stuff ya put in the basement in case something really bad happens? I figure I'd be pretty good with canned stuff out of my cupboards and stuff from the hiking food drawer for a couple of weeks or so.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 6:03 pm 
for newbies it's probably a curiousity thing, you hear about gi's living in the desert for months eating nothing but mre's so you'd like to try a few to see what they're all about, or maybe you think they would be good for backpacking. my experience has been that they're a lot like regular canned food but utilize way too much packaging for backpacking.. the packaging is done that way so that full cases of meals can be air dropped without parachutes if neccesary..

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 9:56 pm 
Marzsit, You know a lot about these foods. We have guys out there in the mountains who have lost up to 30 pounds in a combat zone. Yikes! What is wrong with this picture? Anyone. Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 10:00 pm 
You know they are kind of heavy espc. if you have a stove not particularly healthy why bother if you are not in Bagddad huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 10:08 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
You know they are kind of heavy espc. if you have a stove not particularly healthy why bother if you are not in Bagddad huh.gif
Are they too heavy?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 10:11 pm 
Yes, if you have a stove. confused.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostWed Apr 11, 2007 10:18 pm 
If you were to take turns (to carry) sharing a stove with a squad out on patrol then it makes a hot dinner possible. And hot food is good for morale in the cold mountains. IMO.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostThu Apr 12, 2007 6:10 am 
Snowbrushy wrote:
Marzsit, You know a lot about these foods. We have guys out there in the mountains who have lost up to 30 pounds in a combat zone. Yikes! What is wrong with this picture? Anyone. Inquiring minds want to know.
my brother is in the coast guard, when they go out on patrol in small inflatables they get mre's issued to them sometimes.. and, he's bought them for me a few times since he is able to buy them on the base.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Apr 12, 2007 8:46 am 
ML, yes I bought the MRE's for emergency use - enough to feed 2 people for 3 weeks. I figured if there was a major earthquake, that would help. I keep 'em in a 20 gallon metal trash can in the garage. I did find out, during that week long power outage - that as you said, the food I had in the refer/freezer plus cupboard - went a long way. So I probably did overkill on the MRE's.

Lamanite

Lamanite
PostThu Apr 12, 2007 12:49 pm 
Not sure about the stove talk, but MRE heaters are great (one-time use) as you just add water and it heats the entree. I've never known a squad to carry a stove; warm food is not a necessity in the field. The main reason MREs are heavier is because they are not dehydrated. Once upon a time, most of the sides were dehydrated and it sure used to cause problems on FTX's (Field Training Exercises). Over and over again they would tell you to drink as you eat, but there is always someone who eats first, drinks later and everything would expand in their stomachs as we were running. For some reason, rehydrating the food before you ate was never popular. Dried fruit, dried hash browns, etc. all tasted better without adding water.