Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bear Lakes, Bear Basin 06_28_03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSun Jun 29, 2003 5:46 pm 
Bear Lakes, Bear Basin 06_28_03 Actually, I went up in to the basin to see the Donkey engine, and then continued up to Bear Lakes. A good route description can be found here (thank you 2drx). The rout to the lakes is to the right of adit #6. From here on out the “trail”, for lack of a better word, gets steep, and brushy. Once at the lakes, I decided to try for Paradise, Beach, and Bench Lakes. Per the map it didn’t look too steep. From Bear Lakes it is just a short scramble up a boulder field to the pass (see pic). I wussed out once at the pass. Both chutes going down to the lakes were full of snow. I am fairly sure I could have done it, but just really didn’t want to kick step back up in the hot sun. Not to mention, I forgot my ice ax. Once I got back to Bear Lake I really thought about going swimming, and lounging in the sun. Bear lakes are really lovely, and shallow, so the water didn’t look to cold. I wish I had. In stead I thought I would drop back down to the mines, and side hill over to the Bare Mtn trail. It didn’t look far on the map, so off I went. It wasn’t close, and it really sucked bashing through the brush. I finally gave up and angled down to hook back up with the trail. Oh, well it was still a good day in the woods. Happy trails - KN
BearLk
BearLk

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message