Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fire Mountain Meadow Mounain Way to Mica Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jun 29, 2003 8:45 pm 
I have been wanting to do this for several years and the kids were at the Beach it is called the Fire Mountain High route in R&R (gotta love the name, appos to Charlie daniels). Got a late start which was not helped by missing the White ChucK Turnoff(FS map an the other car). Arrived at trailhead at 1PM to find lot full except for a spot in the auxiliary, Nice new dunny they bit with NWFP $ but locks don't work. Headed up the trail to find register is about 1/2 mi. up. Saw only one other party going may way (Liz Taylor no less), Note there is a massive blow down in the first mi. of the way trail it will be years before it will be cleared at current funding levels. Ran into Liz and her SO at the crossing of Fire Creek (it is down to a single log which is rotting) and never saw them again. There is no snow until the short switchbacks, I decided to take the uphill route in R&R and passed the site of Fire Chief Cabin marking it on GPS as a possible bivy spot. I ascend the ridge to a flat spot where I had made another waypoint. I kept ascending the ridge and found a path in the heather. That I followed eventually emptying out in a meadow with views of Glacier Peak of course but also the ridge lake Byrne is on and Lost Creek Ridge could see all the way to White Mtn. To her the route was on steep dirt and snow patches. I traversed over to a flat spot on the next ridge and found the route. The Crux is here you must hit a small hidden basin to coss the creek. If you miss it it looks like rappels and ice climbing on rotten snow. I found the basin where I had put a waypoint (kept GPS on all this time to retrace steps. You then rise slightly to fantastic meadow (I assume they are fantastic once the snow melts). I Camped at R&r's recomended site but had to snow camp for a lack of flat ground. Kim Che Ramen, Yum. On Sunday I awoke to clouds. After Breakfast Irish oatmeal and coffee I headed toward Mica. I passed R&R's second best campsite and betaed the route. It is currently a steep snow gulley. I learned a new tecknique of using an Ice Axe in the uphill hand and a trecking pole in the down hill extended works great for heather you have Tiger Claws. It started to rain so I went back and broke camp. A little later the sun came out, several repetions. I found my old tack and used the GPS to find the way when I lost it. Sun was shinning in first meadows to I dried socks, Saw climbers on Sitcum but no one on scimitar. The Sloan Glacier looked a lot more broken up than I remembered, global warning? On the way down I visited the first camp on Meadow Mtn. and was glad I did not stay there it is nice but boring. Uneventful trip down I only saw two people on this trip!!

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message