Forum Index > Trip Reports > Nordrum to Green Ridge loop, 6-28-29-03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jun 29, 2003 5:27 pm 
Dante and I started out at the Taylor gate at 6am. We hiked the taylor past martin creek and took a side trip to Otter Tail slides. Getting back on the trail we made it to the end of the road and started up to Nordrum. After arriving at the lake I remembered that last time we were here we rafted to the cabin site. Oops! No rafts this time. We ate lunch and proceeded to hike around the lake. Big hint to anyone going there. Bring rafts, the hike around isn't very fun! We got to the old cabin site and I took a few pics of the info at the sign in box. I'll post them. They give a brief history of the cabin. We then started climbing up to Rock lake. No fun, as we were fighting brush for some time. We got to Rock and it was half or so full, as opposed to its name. We stayed there for awhile then headed up to Lunker, to Hi-Lo, and then over to Green Ridge where we camped. The next day (today) we headed up to the ridge line to see about the Garfield Mtn lakes. We started getting rained on, and were a little unsure of our route, so we bagged it and headed down to the middle fork road where my brother was to pick us up. Great trip. No snow really anywhere. TB P.S., On a side note. I brought some running shoes for the long road walks. When it came time to dawne boots I realized that I have forgoten my INSOLES! I decided to try and use my running shoe insoles! At least I didnt forget my boots!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostSun Jun 29, 2003 7:37 pm 
Wow! Great photo of the lake...quite a stunner.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Dante

Dante
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 10:17 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Dante and I started out at the Taylor gate at 6am. We hiked the taylor past martin creek and took a side trip to Otter Tail slides. Getting back on the trail we made it to the end of the road and started up to Nordrum.
There were only three cars in the parking lot when we started confused.gif Two of them had passes. We did not need one, since BPJ's brother dropped us off biggrin.gif After visiting Otter tail Slide/Lipsey Lake, we also made a side trip down to a very nice campsite on the river near the Otter Tail Slide/Lipsey Lake. Look for the split rock on the right side of the road as you hike toward Nordrum. There are a few blow downs between the river crossing and Nordrum, but generally, the trail was in pretty good shape.
Quote:
After arriving at the lake I remembered that last time we were here we rafted to the cabin site. Oops! No rafts this time. We ate lunch and proceeded to hike around the lake. Big hint to anyone going there. Bring rafts, the hike around isn't very fun! We got to the old cabin site and I took a few pics of the info at the sign in box. I'll post them. They give a brief history of the cabin.
I agree, so long as you have a Curtis or Trail Boat--I'd rather hike around than carry anything heavier than a few pounds. I didn't think the hike around was so bad. There is a trail, but it was overgrown with blueberry and covered with snow in places.. We were both wearing shorts, so we got a little scratched up.
Quote:
We then started climbing up to Rock lake. No fun, as we were fighting brush for some time. We got to Rock and it was half or so full, as opposed to its name. We stayed there for awhile then headed up to Lunker, to Hi-Lo, and then over to Green Ridge where we camped.
Having done it both ways, I think it is easier to drop into Judy and then walk up the talus to Rock than to bust brush from the outlet of Nordrum. There was a faint fisherman's trail in places between Nordurm and Rock, but again, it was overgrown with blueberries and covered with snow in places. The trip from Rock to Green Ridge was pretty easy. I wish we had had hammocks, because we did not find any good campsites at Lunker or Hi-Low. There was a campsite at one of them, but the only level spot would have been barely big enough for my tarptent and it was very shady and buggy. If we had had hammocks, we could have camped on the ridge where there was more light and a breeze to keep the bugs at bay. Then we could have run the ridges up to Garfield Mountain lakes like we did last time we were there around 1988.
Quote:
The next day (today) we headed up to the ridge line to see about the Garfield Mtn lakes. We started getting rained on, and were a little unsure of our route, so we bagged it and headed down to the middle fork road where my brother was to pick us up.
We tried a different route up from the outlet of Green Ridge, traversing West and then North once we cleared the cliffs above the talus. We were working on that when the weather blew in. We did not think we had enough time to make Charlie Brown Lake and get back to the pick-up point in time, anyway, so we bagged that leg of the trip. IIRC, on the way down, we saw another trail join the Green Ridge trail from the West. That trail may follow the ridge to the peak West Northwest of Green Ridge. That would put you on the route BPJ and I took to Garfield Mountian Lakes around '88.
Quote:
Great trip. No snow really anywhere.
Great trip. Just a few patches of snow. No other people--zero. P.S. Someone in OK shape (I am 5' 10" and 220# and have not exercised regularly since we had kids) with decent map reading skills could hike from the Taylor River "Y" to Nordrum, Rock, Hi-Low, Lunker, Green Ridge and back to the Y in a long day. Just expect to be sore the next morning wink.gif BPJ and I had plenty of light left when we got to Green Ridge. We were tired and the trail down from Green Ridge is steep (2,500' in a little over a mile as the crow flies), but I'm confident we could have walked back to the Y before dark or with a little night hiking.

RandyB

RandyB
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 5:15 pm 
You guys hear the miners up there? Red Cherokee at the trailhead?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dante

Dante
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 5:24 pm 
Nope, they must have left before we got to Green Ridge. We could see the mine openings from our campsite, but did not see or hear any activity. There were no vehicles at the trailhead when we came out Sunday afternoon.

polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 7:06 pm 
BPJ, is there much water in Otterslide Falls right now?

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 7:08 pm 
Here are a couple more shots of Nordrum and one of Rock! P-bear, there is enough water to SWIM/SLIDE baby! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 9:53 pm 
BPJ: Nice pics. I enjoyed the pics and the trip reports posted by you and Dante. Good trip. Many years ago I did a trip up the Dingford and went up to Goat and Horseshoe Lakes where we camped and then cross countryed to some small lakes to the east (don't remember the name of the biggest one) and then dropped back down to the Dingford trail. Nice to have that country close to Seattle.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160