Forum Index > Trip Reports > Spring Blast off social at Mt. St. Helens
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gil

Gil
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 11:21 am 
Man, y'all are tough! I looked at the web cam from Johnston Saturday morning and said no way! Good on you. Hope I'll be able to make the next wingding. No, really.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 1:42 pm 
Hey, everyone! I uploaded some higher resolution trip photos so they would be available to anyone who wanted them. St Helens Trip We're looking forward to seeing everyone else's!

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 6:18 pm 
Here are a few of mine.
Breaking Trail
Breaking Trail
Corniced Summit Ridge
Corniced Summit Ridge
Above the Clouds
Above the Clouds
Mountaineer Darwin Nominee
Mountaineer Darwin Nominee
St Helens from Camp
St Helens from Camp

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 6:26 pm 
Those prove we had permits for the wrong day. Nice pics and I like those blue skies.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 7:42 pm 
Quote:
how many people can fit under the tarp
12! thats how many fit under there!! up.gif agree.gif great shots Tom! the summit is really nice. That girl is nuts!!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 7:58 pm 
Tazz wrote:
That girl is nuts!!
Personally, I thought the group sitting a few feet behind her were a little too close. Maybe I'm just paranoid. doh.gif

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner

SlowWalker
Perma-grinner
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 8:17 pm 
Great pictures everyone! Now, the pictures have lept forward to Sunday, but the narrative has not caught up. Someone please tell us about Saturday night and Sunday morning. It looks like most or all of the summit party had skis - is that right? How good was the descent? It looks like it must have been awesome.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 8:23 pm 
Only 4 of us had skis (there were other folks on the summit with skis as you can see though). Snow was very heavy. Tough to ski, but more fun than walking down.

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 8:46 pm 
Im still recouping..I feel like I got beat up hard and hung up wet..literally. Will get to some picture uploading and story telling laterz biggrin.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 9:03 pm 
So jealous!! Glad y'all persevered to get her the next day. And, yeah, they are all too close to the cornice. It's one thing to not notice in a white out, it's another to see 'How close can I get?' I started yelling at a guy on Dickerman one winter. rant.gif

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 10:42 pm 
Super fun trip! Very memorable couple of days mainly due to all the cool people that managed to make it out. Sunday was great as most of us were doubting we'd be doing much more than sitting in the tents in more rain. We left our 4000' camp for the summit somewhere between 0800 and 0830 and were on the top by 1130. The last 3000' of gain to the summit were in warm sunshine...sunburns for most of us! I was envious of those who got to ski down!
Saturday Night Goodness
Saturday Night Goodness
Tent on Sunday Morning
Tent on Sunday Morning
Getting Ready, Sunday Morning
Getting Ready, Sunday Morning
Heading Up. L to R - Don, dicey, Matt
Heading Up. L to R - Don, dicey, Matt
L to R - Don, dicey, Matt, Tazz
L to R - Don, dicey, Matt, Tazz
Old Tracks
Old Tracks
Don and John at 6300'
Don and John at 6300'
Dicey Approaches the Rim
Dicey Approaches the Rim
Dicey Skinning for the Rim
Dicey Skinning for the Rim
Mark at the Rim
Mark at the Rim
Don Skiing Out and Tazz Descending
Don Skiing Out and Tazz Descending
Tom Skiing Down
Tom Skiing Down
Tracks at 6300'
Tracks at 6300'
Don and dicey Skiing
Don and dicey Skiing
Tazz and Mark
Tazz and Mark

Tazz

Tazz
PostMon Apr 23, 2007 11:42 pm 
AWESOME shots Randy!! There are really no words to say how memorable and special this weekend was for me. I want to thank every single one of you for standing in the rain and cold and making it feel so warm. I was quite upset, sad , and disappointed I could not make it to the summit. I pushed and tried so hard to ignore the pain in my ankle. (Twisted my ankle on a trip last week) I felt good and strong and it was beautiful, I wanted it soooo bad. Damn ankle was not wanting it as bad as I did. bawl.gif I turned around after about 1000' of gain. I sat for a very long time bitching at my ankle and talking to the cute guys and great folks climbing past my sorry ass. rolleyes.gif After that I descended and hung out at camp with Janet, AB and yet for while till they headed back down to wait there. I was not about to leave. I didn't want to leave even when everybody got back....I didn’t want to say goodbye... A few words to some of the players: (so don’t read it if you don’t like it) Dicey, Thanks for the location beta and idea, the reminder about plastics, and the plastic bag.... wink.gif Denise, borank.gif you rock to hike that two time and stay 2 days in that nasty ummmm...crap. Thanks for the laughs. You still shock me with things you say. You certainly are not a boring person. Thanks for the great times! Randy, I owe you! Thanks for the laughs and the Crown!!! winksmile.gif Janet...ducky was in his element agree.gif !! Good times girl. More to come! Yet, you rock and hope you join many more trips!! You are a great sport for your first overnighter!!! Mark! Can’t wait for the next adventure!! Thanks for being there! Tom I am so glad you didn’t go back to the car . wink.gif It was good seeing you again!! Don.....I love your stories and can’t wait to here more!! Thanks for joining us. Matt, can’t wait to see you images from the true summit! Great to get out with you finally. Jeremy and Trish. I don’t blame you two for leaving (twice lol.gif ). It was miserable!! Too bad you missed out though...There will be many more times though. Great to meet you two. Thanks for the little gift you gave us when you left! agree.gif up.gif Love ya all and thank-you!!!!! some images and a video. The video has images not posted.....
AB finishing her second ascent.
AB finishing her second ascent.
assembly line water boiling
assembly line water boiling
ahhhhhh.....finally
ahhhhhh.....finally
is it true?
is it true?
find the camp
find the camp
zoom in of climbers
zoom in of climbers
Matt, dicey, don, and randy heading up!
Matt, dicey, don, and randy heading up!
donb
donb
Mark, Tom, Matt, dicey packing up.
Mark, Tom, Matt, dicey packing up.
on the way out
on the way out
dicey skiing down.
dicey skiing down.

Yet

Yet
PostTue Apr 24, 2007 12:11 am 
Tazz! Wow...truly beautiful. Thank you for the photos and the video. I could watch it over and over again. And I will! This weekend was very special to me, too. I was not there so much for the summit (OMG, gasp!) as much as to spend time with some very cool people, such as yourself. You know you're awesome, right? Despite a very unpleasant start to your weekend, you were determined to have fun anyway. And fun you had! I fell asleep to the sound of your giggles on Saturday night. Keep on being you, Tazz. You have a gift for bringing people together and making good times happen. agree.gif love! -Yet

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Apr 24, 2007 2:57 am 
I still haven’t finished sorting out my photos, but, meanwhile, here are some possible excerpts for the trip report: Dicey's was wider, but Tom claimed that his extended faster. Mine kept deflating, but Tom shared his extra wide one with me. Mark & Yet spent much of the evening in their tent. They claimed they were "cooking" privately together. After Tazz joined Randy in his tent, he showed her something that had her squealing out loud in delight. There are better ways to make your pants hot and damp. Click here for explanation.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
ree

ree
PostTue Apr 24, 2007 6:04 am 
Heeeeyyy. I'm glad you guys had fun! I can vicariously enjoy the trip with all the great pictures. One thing thing the pictures probably didn't adequately convey (well, except maybe the picture of the stoves) was how freakin' cold it was. I'm glad I missed that part of it. wink.gif I woulda froze my ass off. Where is the camp in your picture Tazz? I can't find it.