Forum Index > Trip Reports > Four Mile Ridge 6900' / Point 5846' (Chelan Mtns.) 4/26
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Apr 26, 2007 7:24 pm 
Location : Brief, up Entiat River Rd. around 23 mile marker Access: SR 97 > Entiat River Rd>Brief>FR 5500 (12 miles of it) Maps : GTM - Brief, Custom TOPO Stats : 6.25 miles, 2500', 4.5 hr. r/t
Four Mile Ridge
Four Mile Ridge
After having done Baldy and Stormy last weekend with Steve, I had been looking at all the peaks, lakes, roads, trails in the area and saw Four Mile Ridge, a undulating fine piece of terrain with three 7000 plus peaks and a few more near that. Also noted "Bear Lake" and a flat plateau behind the ridge and to the North, and of coarse the VIEWS hockeygrin.gif , if I could get them. The weather was a no go yesterday, today overcast with supposedly some partial clearing hmmm.gif. I had hoped to get to around 5400' edging the S slopes, but was only able to make it to around 4500', after dodging a few trees, boulders, and getting stuck in the snow momentarily.
Tyee Ridge lookind awesome
Tyee Ridge lookind awesome
Point  5846' along the ridge route
Point 5846' along the ridge route
Tyee Mtn. to the left and Tyee Ridge with highoints
Tyee Mtn. to the left and Tyee Ridge with highoints
A little more snow on this road, I was hoping to get to 5400', but had to stop at 4500'. Alot of consolidated snow.
A little more snow on this road, I was hoping to get to 5400', but had to stop at 4500'. Alot of consolidated snow.
I was on the road at 0830, with generally overcast skies, and it appeared from down low the sun was going to make a move, it was blocked fairly quick and as I elevated up the snow filled road which had 2-3' of hard consolidated snow I had bomber views of Tyee Ridge and peaks up the Entiat, but could see the creeping gray moving my way shakehead.gif . The higher peaks 7-8k' were there then gone.
Looking NW up the Entiat Valley.
Looking NW up the Entiat Valley.
Point 5846' and my ridge route behind it.
Point 5846' and my ridge route behind it.
Tyee Ridge
Tyee Ridge
Duncan Hill and Gopher Mtn. (?)
Duncan Hill and Gopher Mtn. (?)
Garland Peak, Devils Smokestack and Rampart Mountain (partially under clouds)
Garland Peak, Devils Smokestack and Rampart Mountain (partially under clouds)
I tried to quicken my pace lol.gif as if that was gonna get me to the top with views. The plan was to hit the ridge and follow it both ways end to end hitting the peaks, and reconning Bear Lake and that neat looking plateau. The way things looked it would be great just to get up to Four Mile Ridge and then head down.
To the N of Point 5846', my route takes the ridge always in the snow to the top.
To the N of Point 5846', my route takes the ridge always in the snow to the top.
Stormy Mtn., we climbed last week, and the ridge coming towards us is The Devils Backbone trail.
Stormy Mtn., we climbed last week, and the ridge coming towards us is The Devils Backbone trail.
Point 5846' from the N, the summit can be scrambled via the left between points, or from the E side
Point 5846' from the N, the summit can be scrambled via the left between points, or from the E side
So I walked the road to the end and went to the E of point 5846' a broken rocky summit and climbed (class 2-3) up some large slabby HUGE rocks and back down folllowing the N ridge off of it and not losing any elevation for the most part and booted up the ridge until it steepened enough and kicking steps wasn't gonna happen, that was some hard consolidated snow.
The ridge with hard consolidated drifted deep snow. I booted most of the way, but finally had to put crampons on as it steepened.
The ridge with hard consolidated drifted deep snow. I booted most of the way, but finally had to put crampons on as it steepened.
Ridge. The drifts made alot of sections with 3-4 ' dropoffs, along with a densely tree'd area with some wells, which concerned me as I saw the weather moving in from the W.
Ridge. The drifts made alot of sections with 3-4 ' dropoffs, along with a densely tree'd area with some wells, which concerned me as I saw the weather moving in from the W.
I was gaining, the views were receeding.
I was gaining, the views were receeding.
Tyee Ridge with Signal, Cougar, and Kelly to the right.
Tyee Ridge with Signal, Cougar, and Kelly to the right.
I put on my crampons, watched the clouds move closer and drop lower and kept heading up. There was a section of dense tree's with some wells and little room that gave way to hard snow drifts with 3-4 ' vertical drop offs and I needed to front point alot. The ridge slowly began to get some clouds, the wind picked up pretty good, but thankfully the snow was consolidated, so no blowing around.
7100' plus highpoint along Four Mile Ridge
7100' plus highpoint along Four Mile Ridge
6800' plus highpoint on opposite or W side of Four Mile Ridge.
6800' plus highpoint on opposite or W side of Four Mile Ridge.
Almost there with views fading all around. Waah !
Almost there with views fading all around. Waah !
Freaking , Freaking, Waah !
Freaking , Freaking, Waah !
I finally made it to the top of the ridge, had no views, just cold wind, and of coarse I made it up.gif up.gif , after which within a minute I turned around wanting some visibility and hopefully no precip. back through the steep snowy ridge. All was well, I made it back to the road at 5200' before the light rain began and cruised back to the subie. Have to get back there again for a recon of the ridge area. I have to thank my wife for the gummie bears she put in my pack hipbelt pocket, they mad a good lunch on the fly ! winksmile.gif
This guy is getting his snack in while he can, back down the ridge.
This guy is getting his snack in while he can, back down the ridge.
Highpoint 5846' summit entry point from the E.
Highpoint 5846' summit entry point from the E.
Looking back at Four Mile Ridge
Looking back at Four Mile Ridge

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
summitseeker

summitseeker
PostThu Apr 26, 2007 7:58 pm 
Another fantastic outing! Great pixs. Looks like a beautiful area -- another place I haven't been. I better get cracking! smile.gif I see the pic of Devils Smokestack -- did you get up that one? I remember you were looking for beta a while back.

"Find out who you are and then do it on purpose." www.summitroutes.com : Guidebook to the 100 highest peaks in Washington
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Apr 26, 2007 8:08 pm 
No I haven't, it's in the plans though. I did 5th of July from Cow Creek Meadows, that was sweet, but want to pickup that, Garland Peak, and Rampart Mountains at some point. up.gif

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostThu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 pm 
I'm now in a Yakima hotel after doing the conference thing all day in Toppenish and you're busy wearing out vibram gag.gif Anyway, your shot reminds me of that appointment with Devil's Smokestack. I already nailed the ones on either side of it. Hey, we may as well go for the three-fer.

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Apr 26, 2007 8:34 pm 
up.gif up.gif

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Apr 27, 2007 7:34 am 
wildernessed wrote:
No I haven't, it's in the plans though. I did 5th of July from Cow Creek Meadows, that was sweet, but want to pickup that, Garland Peak, and Rampart Mountains at some point. :up:
Wildernessed, love your east cascade rambles. I can't recommend the 5th of July/Garland/Shetipo loop enough during the larch season. The meadow at the head of Chikamin Creek SW of Garland Pk. had water in Oct. of '05 even with the poor snow pack that year. It was a good 2nd night stop after Cow Creek Mdw the first night. Saw nobody and more gorgeous larches in one trip than I had ever before. The trail practically goes over Rampart and Garland. We didn't leave enough time for Devils Smokstack, though. A layover day at the Chikamin camp would allow for that and some cool explorations of the north facing larch/meadow basins below. I bet few people venture into them.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Apr 27, 2007 9:48 am 
Thanks, I didn't go all the way to the end of Entiat River Rd., wish I did though, I don't know if they have it blocked where they usually do around the 25 mile marker, It may still be blocked, but I imagine it's clear considering how high the snow line is out there. I drove down past two forest rangers on the forest road flagging trees at 3500'-4000'. The campground above Brief is open and there were RV's already in there. I heard the Sheptipo trail is a stiff one, but probably doable soon for the winter scenery. The balsam root, lupine, and phlox is out big time, the drive up gorgeous, some places it's so heavy it looks like a gold ribbon on the green hillsides. up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Apr 28, 2007 10:09 am 
The websh*ts trip album... When I get back and do the ridge, all you have to suffer through are shots from the ridge, if I can get them. winksmile.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostSat Apr 28, 2007 12:17 pm 
nice rob!! thanks for sharing. Seems you are going to get out more and more!!! up.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Apr 28, 2007 12:41 pm 
I have some HIGH hopes for this year. The knee injury was devastating not just physically, but mentally you tend to favor the leg, and tighten up, which is a hindrance, always thinking of that knee. I still have limitations things are progressing though.But I need to burn them calories, the less weight I carry the better. I'm just gonna plug away at trips and I have some people I've been out with that like off trail in the mix, as well as the not so frequented areas, so things are sweet ! Thanks for the comments Tazz ! up.gif